Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
Unread 05-20-2009   #16 (permalink)
MIDO1213 is offline Rookie

MIDO1213's Country Flag  View MIDO1213's 12 photos
San Antonio   Texas
MIDO1213 is on a distinguished road

mrsinister, as I said in previous post , am going to put them (not because Thark telling me, other people said it works good too). if they did not give me the way handling should be I will change the rims to 17x9

howeva, what do you recommend for me ? and is the picture represent 275's on 17x8 ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2009   #17 (permalink)
Silver J is offline GT Member

V6 Member

Silver J's Country Flag  View Silver J's 16 photos
Nanticoke   Pennsylvania
Silver J is on a distinguished road
Talking go with drag slicks!

Seriously man, the only way to get the "fat" tire look is to be running drag slicks... and they're not street-legal! I checked out Toyos line-up of street legal "drag" tires, and the largest size drag tire they will put on an 8" rim is 245! So, I'd listen to the guys that are saying 255s (or even 245s) max. Even though you may be able to squeeze it on... you will have cornering issues, possibility of tire slipping off the rim, blowouts, short tread-life, etc. Too many problems to be worth the "look", IMO.

Now you asked for recommendations (to create the "fat" look), so I would suggest you get a smaller rim (like 16x7) with a deep dish or concaved rim. The rim will need a smaller offset (even negative) to push the rim outwards and widen the wheel base. Then get the largest tire you can fit on it -- a 255/50ZR16 in this example will get you an overall width of 10"!!! (much wider than stock )
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-20-2009   #18 (permalink)

V6 Member

Nanticoke   Pennsylvania

PS - Let me know if you need more info on tire offset...
Unread 05-20-2009   #19 (permalink)
mrsinister2424 is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

mrsinister2424's Country Flag
Redlands   California
mrsinister2424 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Seriously man, the only way to get the "fat" tire look is to be running drag slicks... and they're not street-legal! I checked out Toyos line-up of street legal "drag" tires, and the largest size drag tire they will put on an 8" rim is 245! So, I'd listen to the guys that are saying 255s (or even 245s) max. Even though you may be able to squeeze it on... you will have cornering issues, possibility of tire slipping off the rim, blowouts, short tread-life, etc. Too many problems to be worth the "look", IMO.

Now you asked for recommendations (to create the "fat" look), so I would suggest you get a smaller rim (like 16x7) with a deep dish or concaved rim. The rim will need a smaller offset (even negative) to push the rim outwards and widen the wheel base. Then get the largest tire you can fit on it -- a 255/50ZR16 in this example will get you an overall width of 10"!!! (much wider than stock )
Haha, "wide" tires are very doable on a new edge. The pic of my car on the first page has 17x9 up front, and 17x10.5 out back. They are all Nitto extreme 555's fronts are 275, and rears are 315. These aren't wide compared to slicks though..... well BIG slicks, that is

Quote:
mrsinister, as I said in previous post , am going to put them (not because Thark telling me, other people said it works good too). if they did not give me the way handling should be I will change the rims to 17x9

howeva, what do you recommend for me ? and is the picture represent 275's on 17x8 ?
275's?! Lmao. No. That pic is of my car, with 315's on the back mounted on 17x10.5" wheels. If you are even thinking of changing wheels, I'd do it now, so that you don't dump money down the drain on tires. READ: Different wheels will need different profile tires to look right.

Since you asked, *I* recommend you buy a new set of wheels if you want wider tires. If you don't have the money for new wheels and tires yet, get some cheap tires for now, and upgrade once you do. A full set of wheels and tires shouldn't cost you more than 1300, and that's with 315's in the back.
Summit O/R H, MAC Flowpaths Turndowns, BBK Shorty Headers, Steeda UDP, K&N FIPK2 intake, Diablosport Delta chip, BBK 75mm throttle body, Trickflow upper plenum, Intake spacer, H&R SS springs, Cross drilled & slotted rotors, "Functional" hood scoop
Unread 05-20-2009   #20 (permalink)

V6 Member

Nanticoke   Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister2424 View Post
Haha, "wide" tires are very doable on a new edge. The pic of my car on the first page has 17x9 up front, and 17x10.5 out back. They are all Nitto extreme 555's fronts are 275, and rears are 315. These aren't wide compared to slicks though..... well BIG slicks, that is
Yeah, I know "wide" tires are easily doable: I'm upgrading to 18x8.5" and 18x10s shortly myself... I thought the OP was looking to create a "fat" tire look like old school muscle (see pic) -- hence my recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister2424 View Post
Since you asked, *I* recommend you buy a new set of wheels if you want wider tires. If you don't have the money for new wheels and tires yet, get some cheap tires for now, and upgrade once you do. A full set of wheels and tires shouldn't cost you more than 1300, and that's with 315's in the back.
Agreed!
Attached Thumbnails
275 tires on 17x8 stock rims-prostreetmustang.jpg  
Unread 05-20-2009   #21 (permalink)
GuitarstarX7 is offline PONY Member

V6 Member

GuitarstarX7's Country Flag  View GuitarstarX7's 4 photos
Vista   California
GuitarstarX7 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GuitarstarX7

I have 245s on my 18x8s so they fit perfect. 275s are wide so make sure u get the recommended rim width so they look good.
-42% Underdrive Pulleys
-SCT Tuned
-4.10 Gears & Trac-lok
Unread 05-20-2009   #22 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

Look, you can squeeze that big of a tire on there, but it is a bad idea, especially if you like to corner. I have seen this exact setup "slip the bead" when cornering... And trust me, you don't want that, that's when the part of the tire engaged to the rim literally rolls out, the wheel comes crashing down onto the pavement, and if you not going slow when it happens, you will probably wreck the car. I'm not saying it can't be done, or that people haven't loved the results, but I have seen what happens when it goes bad, and it is not worth it, not even close. You will also lose some high speed stability and a lot of cornering capability, the tires will wear faster, and the gains in traction will not be in line with the gain in tire width. And it does't look the same as when it on a wider wheel. I'm not disparaging Thark, but if you look at his next to one with the same tires and wider wheels, there is a big difference. Do it at your own risk, but its not something I would ever do again, I learned the hard way, and it sucked a lot. Best wishes with whatever you choose, but manufacturers make recommendations based on a lot of research and testing by engineers, there are reasons why they say not to do it.
Unread 05-21-2009   #23 (permalink)

San Antonio   Texas

aright , I'm convinced with you all recommendations and I really appreciate that. I think I'm going with a 17x9 front / 17x10.5 rear as what i wanted in the first place but the money is a little short.

however, since we are talking about it. what yall think about 275/40/17 front , 315/35/17 rear set ? ( i know mrsinister said something about them, but who have them ) and would i need spacers all they way or just the rear tiers ?
Unread 05-21-2009   #24 (permalink)
Brutal Metal is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

Brutal Metal's Country Flag  View Brutal Metal's 3 photos
Largo   Florida
Brutal Metal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal

I run 275/40/17 Rear and 255/45/17 front on my 17X8 Cobra rims, never had an issue, 275 is the Max for an 8 inch rim though!
Lots of guys posting are doom and gloom with this tire size for the rear? EVERYBODY I know runs them. Yeah it might be an issue on a road course taking corners at 90 mph, but for daily driving at respectable speeds their fine!
The rear wheel wells are so big and deep putting 245's on the back looks like crap especially if the car hasn't been lowered!
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
Unread 05-21-2009   #25 (permalink)
96gtpower is offline Rookie

4.6L Member

96gtpower's Country Flag
Hampton   Florida
96gtpower is on a distinguished road

You can run a 275 on an 8, its about the biggest tire you can get on there and it will compromise some performance but it can be done. As for brand, i would go with nitto's. I have nitto 255's all the way around my car and i love them. It would be a good idea to either get new rims or smaller tires, but if you really want to you can do it run 275's.
  • 1996 GT black. Bilstein shocks and struts, 255 Nitto's front/back, K&N filter, engine tuning, Eibach pro-kit springs and PI heads/intake swap kit on the way
Unread 05-21-2009   #26 (permalink)

V6 Member

Nanticoke   Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
Look, you can squeeze that big of a tire on there, but it is a bad idea, especially if you like to corner. I have seen this exact setup "slip the bead" when cornering... And trust me, you don't want that, that's when the part of the tire engaged to the rim literally rolls out, the wheel comes crashing down onto the pavement, and if you not going slow when it happens, you will probably wreck the car. I'm not saying it can't be done, or that people haven't loved the results, but I have seen what happens when it goes bad, and it is not worth it, not even close. You will also lose some high speed stability and a lot of cornering capability, the tires will wear faster, and the gains in traction will not be in line with the gain in tire width. And it does't look the same as when it on a wider wheel. I'm not disparaging Thark, but if you look at his next to one with the same tires and wider wheels, there is a big difference. Do it at your own risk, but its not something I would ever do again, I learned the hard way, and it sucked a lot. Best wishes with whatever you choose, but manufacturers make recommendations based on a lot of research and testing by engineers, there are reasons why they say not to do it.
+1 And since he has "racing" in his username... I'd listen to him!
Unread 05-21-2009   #27 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

Thanks silver, but I'd prefer to think people choose to listen because of what I have to say rather than the name. To be honest, like pretty much everyone on here, it doesn't really matter if anyone listens, we're all here to enjoy our cars and help each other out. As far as the front tire width, it depends on what you plan on using the car for, wider fronts will make it slower on the drag strip, but it will handle turns better if they're on the right size wheels. In the back, 315's offer much better grip on a 10.5" wheel. Also, the wider the "footprint" the more the rolling resistance, it can lower mileage and acceleration if you overdo it, especially up front. And by the way mrsinister, your car looks sick from behind, I love it.
Unread 05-22-2009   #28 (permalink)
mrsinister2424 is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

mrsinister2424's Country Flag
Redlands   California
mrsinister2424 is on a distinguished road

I have 275/40/zr17 up front and 315/35/zr17 out back. This keeps sidewall height the same on the tires, and still gives a super aggressive stance.

You won't need spacers for those. Just as long as they are wheels for 99-04 mustang. Here's a couple pics of my car with 17x9 and 17x10.5's
Attached Thumbnails
275 tires on 17x8 stock rims-100_0183.jpg  275 tires on 17x8 stock rims-100_0207.jpg  
Summit O/R H, MAC Flowpaths Turndowns, BBK Shorty Headers, Steeda UDP, K&N FIPK2 intake, Diablosport Delta chip, BBK 75mm throttle body, Trickflow upper plenum, Intake spacer, H&R SS springs, Cross drilled & slotted rotors, "Functional" hood scoop
Unread 05-22-2009   #29 (permalink)

San Antonio   Texas

I would like to thank you all guys for yall recommendations. I think am gonna wait a couple of weeks and get new rims. FR500 :P . then i will post pictures for yall to see it . again thank yall and as racin said
Quote:
we're all here to enjoy our cars and help each other out.
Unread 05-22-2009   #30 (permalink)
04sonicbluegt is offline GT Member

4.6L Member

04sonicbluegt's Country Flag  View 04sonicbluegt's 21 photos
Grovetown   Georgia
04sonicbluegt is on a distinguished road

well since i just read every word of this post i would like to throw my experience in here. a friend and i both have the same exact 275 nittos on the back, but i have a 17x9 and he has the 17x8. he hooks okay at the strip, but he says in daily driving he feels uncomfortable with the tires because like everyone keeps on saying its way too much tire for the rim. and it does wear funny, you just have to play with the tire pressures to get the tire to sit right, that was another complaint he had about it. however with me, i hook great at the track and feel confident going into corners hard. the tires actually suprised me with how stable they are launching, high speeds, and cornering. i'm hooked i guess
96 GT: First. Sold.

06 F250 6.0L 4x4: Studded, EGR delete, IDP tunes, 5" Straight pipe, S&B CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172