The "Triton V8" - What's the difference? - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
The "Triton V8" - What's the difference?

I know the blocks are different and such, but is it really tougher than our 4.6's???? I'm gonna be honest with everyone, I'm leaving the Mustang world and am buying a truck. I'm looking at the new and used F-150's and am curious to know a little about these motors. I want one with the 5.4 liter engine, are these SOHC or DOHC? I need something a little more practical for the future, since this next buy will need to last for several years to come. I love my dads 00 Ram Sport, but there a little on the expensive side. Besides, I like the classy look of the Lariet F-150's better anyhow.

I hate to burst anyones bubble about this, and I know I'll catch some flame for it, you gotta do want you want to do.

Check in later.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003
Doh! I sold my 2001 250 superduty so I could buy a stang, I looked at both 150 and sd went with the sd with the v10 two years later..6"lift....
delta chip... banks exaust... 37" mtrs... etc.. I think the wife was happy to se it go
The 5.4 and 6.8 are sohc, I think the power/ heads on the new 5.4 are different ? 3 valves ? I thought the power was a little low on the 5.4 I test drove and I think it got about the same mpg as the v10 ? my v10 got around 15.

"No I want the jets for the 200 shot" ya I got the extended warranty.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003
MACH I Member
V6 Member
The 97-03 5.4's make 260 hp and 350 lb/ft of torque. Not bad, but if you wait a few more months for the 04's, you can get the 3 valve per cylinder 5.4 making 300 hp and 365 lb/ft of torque! The 04's look MUCH better than the current body style, too.

2008 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 Reg Cab
2.7 4 banger
No mods (yet...)

2002 V6 manual coupe (SOLD)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003
4.6L Member
I have two chevy silverados with the 5.3 engine both are has 120000 miles.with no repairs whatsoever. the other has 55000 also with no repairs. I think the new chevys are very good and worth checking out. When fords transmission plant burned to the ground back in 1992 well they never recovered from that. I have owned about six f250s and two f150s so I do know the ford product pretty well and I have had plenty of transmission repairs some ford paid for some they did not. just my 2 cents Dennis

2000GT,5spd. 4.10s,Steeda Pullies, Steeda Timing adjuster at 13.5 deg,Chrome Bullitt Wheels. Steeda Tri-ax. Magnaflow cat back, Pro-M 80mm Maf and Pro-M filter Mcloed Clutch.Best et 14.61 @ 95 mph 5830 alt(6890 DA)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Fordgazm
get the ford truck with a diesel

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page