Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

type of transmission fluid for 2002 mustang gt

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  90beast 
#1 ·
hi guys

so, i just bought a bbk cai and can't wait to arrive so i can install it. anyway, i always wondered why shifting gears in my car is really stiff. could it be the transmission fluid? or is it just me? also, when i shift down to second gear it makes a cranking sound. so could it be the transmission fluid? if so, what is the best transmission fluid I could buy?
btw, the transmission should be the tr3650

thanks in advance,
jhonny

#2 ·
tr3650 thats a 5 speed? im not to sure.. the crackling should be ur car just ur exsaust. and maybe u have a aftermarkt cluch if so u have a stiffer cluch wich makes it harder to shift. ur fluid whould have nothin to how hard it is to shift but from what ive read u should use 3.2 quarts of Dexron III/Mercon

#3 ·
fluid definetly makes a difference. im currently using GM synchromesh. my 3650 doesnt like to shift well, esp when cold but as far as i know thats just how they are. when its warm its mint.

#6 ·
The recommended fluid is MERCON V, 3.2 quarts to be exact. No more, no less. The original spec was 4 quarts, but was changed to solve some hard shift problems.

People have tried every type of fluid on earth in the 3650, but there's always one result: What works well for Bob sucks for Bill, everyone has their own opinion on what works best.

My car has 3.2 quarts of Motorcraft MERCON V in it, and it shifts great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.