96 gt intake manifold ?????? - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
96 gt intake manifold ??????

I have a 1996 gt and had #5 cylinder missing so I pulled the plug wire and found water. I looked around and found what looks like coolant coming from the bottom of my intake manifold below the thermostat and checked for a seal and found out its all one piece. DAMN FORD lol. Well to get to my question where can i get a manifold at a good price and not plastic. Its hard to find anything aftermarket for 96-98 ponys. THANKS
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010
Made Member
4.6L Member
here is a perfect reason for you to go and get the PI swap....go to american muscle and get the PI manifold....you will be very happy with it

2003 Mustang GT, Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body, C&L Trueflow Upper Intake Plenum, Pypes Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator cat back, 3.73 gears, Diablosport Predator Tuner, Tri-ax Shifter, Steeda UDP's, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Mach 1 grille delete, H&R lowering springs, Electroluminescent gauge face , Bullitt pedals
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
There are no good aftermarket intakes for the NPI motors. krackstang said it best though, good excuse to do a PI swap. If you don't feel like going all the way into it, Livernios makes a kit that will allow you to bolt up the PI intake manifold to your NPI motor. Do the intake and a set of factory PI cams, or even better some aftermarket NPI cams. That would be a good setup for a daily driver, if you were to swap the heads it would bump up your compression needing you to run premium all the time.

03 Mach 1: New toy
00 Kenne Bell GT vert: Sold
04 Sonic Blue GT: Missed
96 GT: First. Sold.

06 F250 6.0L 4x4: Studded, EGR delete, IDP tunes, 5" Straight pipe, S&B CAI
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010
Those stockers were notorious for cracking. For a while Ford would replace them under a TSB free of charge (mine was done that way) but that is over now and they don't honor it any more. The PI manifiold is definately the way to go.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
+1, time for a PI head/intake swap. My 97's intake did that but i went with the new PI intake and stage 2 heads.

-2003 Mustang Cobra
1 of 451 Oxford White #1415
-Violent Work Of Art-
-2003 Ford Lightning
1 of 723 Sonic Blue #113
--13' GT500 TVS powered--
-2005 Expedition XLT--DD
-2013 Ford Escape 1.6T
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
ok but with the head swap dont i need to take the timing chain off? I will look at the write up i just cant afford for my car to be down a long time. Is there any way to swap just the cams and not have to remove timing chain because there are two chains right? front and back. what is livernois 04sonicblue. thanks for the replys
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010
Livernois Motorsports... they have a lot of go fast goodies and packages.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Ok so i checked out livernois and found the pi intake manifold that adapts to the non pi heads. why is it 500 bucks what is it that is different, I found a pi manifold that is 168 bucks that looks the same. is it the bolt patterns or what? is ther any other place cheaper? and the one on livernois is still plastic.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010
4.6L Member
if you do not plan on doing any forced induction, ie blower, nitrous, etc I'd go with this PI Intake Manifold swap kit from Blue Oval Chips, it's a Ford Racing Intake Manifold with everything you need. Here is the link PI Intake Swap Kit it is an easy install, so easy a caveman could do it

2002 Mustang GT, CAI, Flowmaster Exhaust, High Pressure Injectors, Chip, 124,000 miles

1992 GMC Sierra 4.3 V6, 5 Speed, 337,000 miles on original clutch

1973 16ft Baja Sport, 90HP Mercury, GPS'd at 58mph
4.6L Member
you dont have to get a swap kit they overcharge big time all you need is a used pi intake around $100 pi gaskets around $40 a new heater tube and waterpump nipple not sure how much maybe $20 also from 99-04 and a tube of rtv
ModularHeadShop Articles on PI intake swap

i just posted this in the tech section the guy also sells used and new intakes at a good price im sure he might even put everything together you need at a fraction of the cost just get the number off his website or pm he is the guy that did my car excellent work

98 gt w/carbonware hood,kyb struts,eibach sportline springs,eaton posi diff,accufab 75mm throttle body and plenum,upr cold air intake,steeda triax shifter,steeda clutch adjuster,steeda clutch quad,FR king cobra clutch,steeda bump steer,bassani x pipe,flowmaster 40 series cat backs,ford racing aluminium driveshaft,180 deg therm,cobra aluminium rims,xenon headlights,msd ignition coils,msd 8.5mm spark plug wires,p+p npi heads,pi intake,pi cams,4v pistons,rods,and rings,cobra oil cooler
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page