Brake Caliper Painting for Dummies - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010 Thread Starter
Banned
4.6L Member

Arrow Brake Caliper Painting for Dummies

My calipers were really bothering me. They were all dingy and highly visible behind the '00 Cobra R wheels I'm rockin' on the GT.
I have plans to upgrade the brake system to Cobra brakes in the future, but I have other upgrades for the car that have higher priorities. But, I still don't want to be stuck with ugly brakes that make my car look heinous. Easy fix (kinda)
Paint those suckers!!!

I pulled the wheels off the car, and then drained all the brake fluid. I took the calipers completely off the car, and then disassembled them. My car is not a daily driver, so I have the luxury of doing this...

I stuffed the brake hose holes full of rags so crap wouldn't get in there, and began cleaning the calipers. LOTS and LOTS of brake cleaner. Then a wire brush and sand paper. Finally I busted out the Dremel with some small wire brush attachments. I spent a long time getting all the garbage off of the calipers, but they were pretty spiffy when I was done.

Next, I wanted the primer and paint to stick without any flaws, so I used some grease/wax remover and thoroughly scrubbed the calipers with it.

Now they're ready for paint! I used Hi-temp primer and Hi-temp semi-gloss black paint. Black because... red is lame. If your brakes are red, then don't get offended. Really. I don't want red brake calipers, because everyone's brake calipers are red, and ricers paint their calipers red. Making my calipers any other color than black would go against my whole low profile/minimalistic thing I have going with my car. So they're black.

I didn't use the specially advertised brake caliper paint. I used the engine paint. Why? The brake caliper paint was more expensive, and after reading the labels on both types of paint, I didn't see any significant difference. I called "Bull****" on spending more money on the caliper paint.

The primer and paint stuck thanks to the thorough cleanup job. I didn't get one single grease/oil/bubble spot.

After letting the paint cure for a week, I sprayed on a layer of Hi-temp clearcoat, which gave the calipers a lustrous shine.

Now they're dry to the touch, and hanging out on the bed-spread in the guest room. Crystal does not approve, but my brakes are more important than any potential guests which are highly unlikely to stay in the room in the next few days.

The outcome - Pretty damn good IMO for spray paint, and a whole helluva lot better than they looked before. I'll wait till the paint is fully dry before I install them, and then snap a final pic. I didn't take any "before" pics, but everyone with stock brakes knows how they look anyway.

My only worry is that I don't know how the paint will hold up to brake cleaner. I'll be careful with it, and I don't make a habit of dousing brake parts cleaner all over the outside of my calipers in the first place.

I have new copper washers for my brake lines and was thinking of getting steel braided brake lines, but I need to spend the money elsewhere now. (Need SCT tuner and Dyno tune) so I'll upgrade the lines when I upgrade the calipers. This was a fun project though, and that's what having a Mustang is all about. I also painted my front sway bar while I was at it. I had it out, and I can't even remember why...but now it's blue. :hihi:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010250.JPG
Views:	4822
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	92215   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010251.JPG
Views:	4511
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	92216   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010256.JPG
Views:	2237
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	92217  

Last edited by sillyrabbit0420; 03-04-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member

those look pretty sweet. im thinkin of doin mine once she comes out of storage. nice little write up by the way

1995 auto v6: Bullet wheels, AM cold air intake..thats about it for now...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
looks great! i plan on doing the same cobra brake swap (only fronts though) and am either going to paint my calipers black or silver. and since they are clean now, as long as you scrub them down with car wash soap they shouldn't get dirty to the point where you would have to use brake cleaner.

same concept when i got my new rims. my stock rims were like crap because the previous owner clearly didn't wash them enough. i wash my new rims thoroughly every time i was the car and they still look brand new 2 years later.

when i do my calipers, i'm thinking of getting some "GT" stickers, or making some at least, and putting them on the calipers before i spray the color on so that my calipers say "GT". what do you think?

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member

thank man i was wondering on what to use for my calipers my stock yellow paint is staring to chip of and look horrendous so thanks again

2001 mustang gt, CAI, cat back exhaust.
fun, fun, fun
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010 Thread Starter
Banned
4.6L Member

Mell0...I think that's pretty good idea about painting GT on them or something if you could make it look good. I thought about making the "PBR" on my brakes white, but then decided no one would do cheetah-flips over it if I did, so...why bother
Honestly, the only people I know who are going to give two-tenths of a eff about my brake paint job are going to be myself and the 4.6 guys, and anyone else who might want to do it later.

The only thing I'd change if I did it again would be to do some metal fleck paint, to make them look a little tricker.

Yeah, Mell0...I clean my rims quite a bit too. At the very least, every time I change the oil, because I rotate tires at the same time and scrub all the crap off the inside of the wheels and wheel wells. My motor is spotless too. To the point that when I look at the motor of my F150 I feel bad. But...it's a DD and it goes off-road a lot. But even the F150 isn't allowed to get too dirty.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

wow bro awesome job!!! thats one of my projects for the spring..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010 Thread Starter
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeastxl View Post
thank man i was wondering on what to use for my calipers my stock yellow paint is staring to chip of and look horrendous so thanks again
Beast...I'm a fan of *Disclaimer's*

***I cannot guarantee that the engine paint will last longer than the actual Caliper Paint. I just thought it was gay that the caliper paint costed more yet was rated for the same temperature.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I used G2 caliper paint. you get two cans, you mix them together and you have about 4 hours before it's rock hard. I brushed about 4 layers on and when it dried it feels really smooth. Mine are red(ha, ha) but I was going for the anniversary look. And the red looks awesome against the white and black of my car. And white callipers WAS NOT an option. These pics were taken about 3 years after application so you can tell it's sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake work 002.jpg
Views:	37202
Size:	921.3 KB
ID:	92244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake work 004.jpg
Views:	14736
Size:	921.8 KB
ID:	92245  

C&L 80mm mass air, Mac CAI, BBK 65mm tb, Steeda ud pulleys, MGW shifter, RAM HD clutch and aluminum flywheel, 3:73 gears, 2.5" Dynomax o/r x pipe, 3" MAC cat back system w/ 3 1/2" tips, Kenny Brown(front and rear strut tower brace, caster plates, subframe connectors,extreme matrix brace,jacking rails, torque brace, lowering springs), Tokico D-Spec shocks, 03-04 Cobra(side scoops, rear bumper cover, top), 6pt roll cage, white FR500's, FMS 2000 Cobra R air dam, Steeda race wing, VIS carbon hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
brake caliper paint , brakes , caliper paint , calipers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page