Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.


Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-24-2011   #1 (permalink)
jwh01roush is offline Rookie


Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 14 Threads: 2
 jwh01roush's Country Flag
Augusta   Georgia
jwh01roush is on a distinguished road
Default Mach 460 Speaker Size

dose anyone know what size the door mounted tweeters are and if their is a aftermarket company like Alpine Sony ETC... that make replacements for the stock ones
jwh01roush is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 04-24-2011   #2 (permalink)
Meehlimo is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
4.6L Member


Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 318 Threads: 40
 Meehlimo's Country Flag  View Meehlimo's 10 photos
Sewell   New Jersey
Meehlimo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo
Default

pioneer made a set which has long since been discontinued. i bought a set myself my stockers kept blowing. all i know is it was a pita to find a aftermarket replacement. good luck man!
__________________
Show mods: Blackout decklid, ultra clear fogs,HIDs 6000k,mach 1 lip, mach 1 grille delete ,stalker hood, Gt scoops, Gt rear bumper, Rear window louves, 01 cobra rims, cobra calipers, cross drilled slotted rotors, two tone paint.

Go Mods: 8.8 Rear, 3.73s, Borla Stingers, JLT Rai,93 oct Perf tune, worked over 4r70w, custom shift kit.

V8 Swap 100%done
Meehlimo is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011   #3 (permalink)
burninrock24 is offline Made Member

4.6L Member


Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 804 Threads: 62
 burninrock24's Country Flag  View burninrock24's 18 photos
Bloomington   Minnesota
burninrock24 is on a distinguished road
Default

If youre looking to upgrade the speakers just forget it. I know this is going to be hard to swallow. But you would be better off just scrapping the entire system and getting a new deck, 4 channel amp with 2 sets of component speakers, and a subwoofer system. Heres my reasoning.

Ford/Mach Audio made the mach 460 sound system for the user to listen to at moderate volumes. Throughout the years they used essentially the same 1995 speaker technology. So the internal equalizer is always trying to compensate for the speakers imperfections by overloading the signal with bass and treble. Sure this sounds decent with the factory speakers at normal volumes, but turn it up loud and youll know what I mean. By adding aftermarket speakers you will only be making the problem worse.

Now my second reason is because of how messed up ford wired the system. Your system has 3 amplifiers. One operates the tweeters, and the others operate the woofers. If you were to replace the deck directly, you would only hear the sound through the tweeters. (A special wiring harness can take care of that). But then all your quality gained through a new deck is lost through the poor amps.

So you say: "alright, i will just replace the deck and the speakers, and use all the factory wiring" WELL then, best of luck to you because the amps will melt. Each tweeter and woofer is rated at 6 ohms. At the crossover (separates which frequencies are sent to the woofer or tweeter) the final impedance is rated at 3 ohms because of the parallel wiring in the crossover. Now most aftermarket component crossovers are wired in series with 2 ohm drivers to equal a 4 ohm final impedance. But if you are directly placing these aftermarket drivers into the factory wiring, then you will be giving the amp a 1 ohm load. Which is highly unstable and unsafe for the factory amps.

So lets say you want to use the aftermarket crossover to bypass the whole unstable load situation. But thats not possible because remember in the mach system, the signals coming to the woofer and tweeter are coming from separate sources, which makes using an aftermarket crossover impossible.

So ultimately. For substantially better sound, you should go and buy yourself an entirely new system. Buy a 6 channel deck, have 2 RCA's go to a 4 channel amp. Have the other 2 go to a mono channel subwoofer amp. Re-wire your new component speakers from the amp (since the signal that will be going to the speakers from your new amp will be coming from your trunk, re wiring is fairly easy because youre not working in the dash) Then wire up your subwoofers, and set your highpass/lowpass settings on the headunit. You will have an incredible sounding system, and for a lot less hassle than dealing with the factory mach system. But thats just me.
__________________
Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
burninrock24 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011   #4 (permalink)
jwh01roush is offline Rookie


Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 14 Threads: 2
 jwh01roush's Country Flag
Augusta   Georgia
jwh01roush is on a distinguished road
Default

thanks I am very familar with building systems my issue is that the cheap front door tweeters are bad so I either have to fabricate a tweeter to fit in its' place or find something that might fight directly bacuse you cannot just scrap those pods or you will have a nice hole in the top of the door card
jwh01roush is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011   #5 (permalink)
MZIZZL is offline Rookie


Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 3
 MZIZZL's Country Flag
San Diego   California
MZIZZL is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninrock24 View Post
If youre looking to upgrade the speakers just forget it. I know this is going to be hard to swallow. But you would be better off just scrapping the entire system and getting a new deck, 4 channel amp with 2 sets of component speakers, and a subwoofer system. Heres my reasoning.

Ford/Mach Audio made the mach 460 sound system for the user to listen to at moderate volumes. Throughout the years they used essentially the same 1995 speaker technology. So the internal equalizer is always trying to compensate for the speakers imperfections by overloading the signal with bass and treble. Sure this sounds decent with the factory speakers at normal volumes, but turn it up loud and youll know what I mean. By adding aftermarket speakers you will only be making the problem worse.

Now my second reason is because of how messed up ford wired the system. Your system has 3 amplifiers. One operates the tweeters, and the others operate the woofers. If you were to replace the deck directly, you would only hear the sound through the tweeters. (A special wiring harness can take care of that). But then all your quality gained through a new deck is lost through the poor amps.

So you say: "alright, i will just replace the deck and the speakers, and use all the factory wiring" WELL then, best of luck to you because the amps will melt. Each tweeter and woofer is rated at 6 ohms. At the crossover (separates which frequencies are sent to the woofer or tweeter) the final impedance is rated at 3 ohms because of the parallel wiring in the crossover. Now most aftermarket component crossovers are wired in series with 2 ohm drivers to equal a 4 ohm final impedance. But if you are directly placing these aftermarket drivers into the factory wiring, then you will be giving the amp a 1 ohm load. Which is highly unstable and unsafe for the factory amps.

So lets say you want to use the aftermarket crossover to bypass the whole unstable load situation. But thats not possible because remember in the mach system, the signals coming to the woofer and tweeter are coming from separate sources, which makes using an aftermarket crossover impossible.

So ultimately. For substantially better sound, you should go and buy yourself an entirely new system. Buy a 6 channel deck, have 2 RCA's go to a 4 channel amp. Have the other 2 go to a mono channel subwoofer amp. Re-wire your new component speakers from the amp (since the signal that will be going to the speakers from your new amp will be coming from your trunk, re wiring is fairly easy because youre not working in the dash) Then wire up your subwoofers, and set your highpass/lowpass settings on the headunit. You will have an incredible sounding system, and for a lot less hassle than dealing with the factory mach system. But thats just me.
I bought a nice pioneer deck, and not that I know TOO much about sound systems, I put the deck in and adjusted the audio on the system via the new deck and it sounds great, bass and all. This is via the Mach 460 audio system just with a different deck. I'd consider upgrading the rest if it wasn't already loud enough. (Yes, got the wiring harness too)
MZIZZL is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011   #6 (permalink)
burninrock24 is offline Made Member

4.6L Member


Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 804 Threads: 62
 burninrock24's Country Flag  View burninrock24's 18 photos
Bloomington   Minnesota
burninrock24 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZIZZL View Post
I bought a nice pioneer deck, and not that I know TOO much about sound systems, I put the deck in and adjusted the audio on the system via the new deck and it sounds great, bass and all. This is via the Mach 460 audio system just with a different deck. I'd consider upgrading the rest if it wasn't already loud enough. (Yes, got the wiring harness too)
Wow, you're lucky, I've installed systems in my other cars and the ford wiring harness I got only played the sound through the tweeters. Plus I already had a 4 channel amp laying around so I just invested in some nice components and built it. Plus I have a converible, so when the top would go down the soundstage would go with it. So it was time to upgrade to some more adjustable directional components anyways haha.
__________________
Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
burninrock24 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012   #7 (permalink)
TrueBlueBullitt is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1 Threads: 0
 TrueBlueBullitt's Country Flag
Altenburg   Missouri
TrueBlueBullitt is on a distinguished road
Default Going with aftermarket

Hey I have an 01 Bullitt with the Mach 460 and I am going with what was mentioned above about the complete aftermarket system. The only problem is that I can't figure out which speakers will fit. I am in New York and My car is home in Missouri. I only get about 10 days of leave for Christmas so I'm hoping to have the speakers waiting at my house when I return because I won't have enough time to install them if I have to order them after I come home. Anyone know the speaker sizes? Thanks
TrueBlueBullitt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012   #8 (permalink)
SoCal2V is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,067 Threads: 16
 SoCal2V's Country Flag
Somewhere   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueBullitt View Post
Hey I have an 01 Bullitt with the Mach 460 and I am going with what was mentioned above about the complete aftermarket system. The only problem is that I can't figure out which speakers will fit. I am in New York and My car is home in Missouri. I only get about 10 days of leave for Christmas so I'm hoping to have the speakers waiting at my house when I return because I won't have enough time to install them if I have to order them after I come home. Anyone know the speaker sizes? Thanks
The main speakers, I'm pretty sure, are 5"x7". Not 100% though; the few times I've had door and interior panels off I don't recall actually measuring them.
__________________

2001 GT Convertible

All the usual bolt-ons
1967 Coupe
200 I6, C4
SoCal2V is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012   #9 (permalink)
thetallone is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member


Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 506 Threads: 70
 thetallone's Country Flag
Asheville   North Carolina
thetallone is on a distinguished road
Default

nope they are 6x8 just put some in my car!
__________________
2001 Mustang Gt Bullitt, 105,000, mostly stock :nogrinner, 15% tint, led tail lights, Deep Dish Wheels, Nito 555's, shorty antenna, Head Turner.

Mac Off Road Chambered H Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, SCT custom tuner, C&L Cold Air Intake, Exedy Mach 400 stage 2 clutch, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Under-drive pullies, modded IAC.
thetallone is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172