Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 10-18-2012   #1 (permalink)
pmanchin is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

pmanchin's Country Flag  View pmanchin's HomePage
Salisbury   Maryland
pmanchin is on a distinguished road
Default Throw out bearing?

I have been getting an annoying squeak like an old bicycle noise coming from the transmission. At first I thought it was a belt but I quickly dismissed that. I'm guessing its the throw out bearing. My question is would it be fine to just replace the bearings (pilot and throw) and not the clutch? The clutch feels absolutely fine. That damn squeak is just annoying! Anyone know about the cost as well?

PDM Designers
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2
Custom Tuned by Performance Evolution
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2012   #2 (permalink)
SoCal2V is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

How many miles are on the car? Might be best to go ahead with a new clutch while you have it all apart.

My car, at probably about 79K the tob started making a really faint and intermittent amount of noise. By the time it hit 82K the bearing was done, it had become an unbearable screaming sound that only stopped when I shut the engine off, the clutch pedal felt ratchety and I was beginning to have disengagement issues. Long story short I just replaced everything in there. The factory clutch was still at about 50%. For me, the decision to do it all came down to two things; 1) I just wanted it to be right and not have to worry about it again for hopefully a long time to come, and 2) the labor between the two is more or less identical. Most shops charge 4 hrs labor for clutch replacement, and to do the bearing only I would have only been saving myself about 1 hr at the most in labor charges.

So my advice is, unless you're really in a pinch for money then just go ahead and do it right the first time. Unless that bearing is just flat out screaming then you should have a little time to get your finances in order.

As far as a recommendation for new clutch goes, I did a SPEC stage 1 (think it's rated for somewhere near 400 ft/lbs tq if I remember correctly) and also upgraded the flywheel to billet aluminum. Had it in there for 18K now and no complaints. It's slightly grabbier than stock, pedal feel and effort is identical to stock. Think the clutch kit from AM was like $240, f/w was another $300. Of course the f/w is completely optional, I only did it because I felt like 'well what the hell, let's go crazy'. Otherwise just have your stock f/w resurfaced. Another thing regarding tob's is, best policy is to get an oem one from dealership or FRPP. The aftermarket bearings supplied with most clutch kits are somewhat notorious for premature failure. I didn't know this when I did all my stuff and so the one that came with my clutch is in there and is holding up fine, but if you read product reviews over at AM's site there are a fair amount of complaints regarding this. Also highly recommended with all of this stuff is a new quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster. Don't know if that last one is 100% necessary but after doing some research it seemed like it was the best way to go.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 10-18-2012   #3 (permalink)
2Manystangs is offline Banned

4.6L Member

2Manystangs's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
2Manystangs is on a distinguished road

well whatever you decide make sure you use a OEM Ford throwout bearing...it can squeek for months but will fail sooner or later...I have a Fidanza 2.1 clutch, works great, feels like stock, paid about $250 for the set/bearing...labor can vary greatly just depends on who does it...$1000+ at the dealer, local <acronym title="transmission">tranny</acronym> shop? Would be less..might call a few for quotes
Good luck
Unread 10-18-2012   #4 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Salisbury   Maryland

Always good information here. Thanks guys. I'm going to just get it all done. Fly wheel surfaced. I always try to replace with Ford OEM parts. What about the clutch fork, should I replace?

PDM Designers
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2
Unread 10-18-2012   #5 (permalink)
SoCal2V is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

Shouldn't need to replace the fork. If you get it all apart and find out it's bent or something (which is kinda rare) it's a fairly readily available and inexpensive part, but I wouldn't get one unless you find out you need one.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Unread 10-18-2012   #6 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Salisbury   Maryland

Thanks, SoCal.

PDM Designers
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2
Unread 10-19-2012   #7 (permalink)
Lackey'sGT is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member

Lackey'sGT's Country Flag  View Lackey'sGT's 5 photos
Warsaw   Indiana
Lackey'sGT is on a distinguished road

Also check the pivet ball that the fork sites on, sometimes they can get pitted or damaged. And I got the Spec stage 1 kit and for some reason mine feels really stiff put so did the clutch that was in their before so maybe my cable is pinched. But the TOB that came with the kit started to sqeak just weeks after I put it in and it still does it 10-15,000 miles later every once in a while.
SMR #2415
SCT Brenspeed tune, subframe connectors, Elbach springs, Urethane bushing kit, Urethane motor mounts, tri-axle shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Spec flywheel, MM quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster, 3:73 gears, A/C delete pulley, CAI, BBK headers, Off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster catback
Unread 10-20-2012   #8 (permalink)
CaseyT is offline Rookie

CaseyT's Country Flag
Weaverville   North Carolina
CaseyT is on a distinguished road

I had mine replaced at 120k. 2,000 miles into it the bearing is going out. Go with the OEM bearing from ford. I learnt the hard way. Have not had the time to fix it yet so its still making sounds. My clutch fork was bent all to H*** when i replaced mine and the bearing on the fork was what was making the noise and not the bearing when i essentially had it replaced. AM sells a good ford racing tob for around 50$.
Unread 10-23-2012   #9 (permalink)
Blackbeast98 is offline Apprentice

Blackbeast98's Country Flag  View Blackbeast98's 4 photos
Birmingham   Alabama
Blackbeast98 is on a distinguished road

Mines sqeaking from time to time too. No clue if its factory or what but when it goes ill replace it all.
Unread 10-24-2012   #10 (permalink)
fordman777 is online now GT Member

fordman777's Country Flag  View fordman777's 9 photos
Oliver Springs   Tennessee
fordman777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
How many miles are on the car? Might be best to go ahead with a new clutch while you have it all apart.

My car, at probably about 79K the tob started making a really faint and intermittent amount of noise. By the time it hit 82K the bearing was done, it had become an unbearable screaming sound that only stopped when I shut the engine off, the clutch pedal felt ratchety and I was beginning to have disengagement issues. Long story short I just replaced everything in there. The factory clutch was still at about 50%. For me, the decision to do it all came down to two things; 1) I just wanted it to be right and not have to worry about it again for hopefully a long time to come, and 2) the labor between the two is more or less identical. Most shops charge 4 hrs labor for clutch replacement, and to do the bearing only I would have only been saving myself about 1 hr at the most in labor charges.

So my advice is, unless you're really in a pinch for money then just go ahead and do it right the first time. Unless that bearing is just flat out screaming then you should have a little time to get your finances in order.

As far as a recommendation for new clutch goes, I did a SPEC stage 1 (think it's rated for somewhere near 400 ft/lbs tq if I remember correctly) and also upgraded the flywheel to billet aluminum. Had it in there for 18K now and no complaints. It's slightly grabbier than stock, pedal feel and effort is identical to stock. Think the clutch kit from AM was like $240, f/w was another $300. Of course the f/w is completely optional, I only did it because I felt like 'well what the hell, let's go crazy'. Otherwise just have your stock f/w resurfaced. Another thing regarding tob's is, best policy is to get an oem one from dealership or FRPP. The aftermarket bearings supplied with most clutch kits are somewhat notorious for premature failure. I didn't know this when I did all my stuff and so the one that came with my clutch is in there and is holding up fine, but if you read product reviews over at AM's site there are a fair amount of complaints regarding this. Also highly recommended with all of this stuff is a new quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster. Don't know if that last one is 100% necessary but after doing some research it seemed like it was the best way to go.

I agree with every bit of this. I can also say a big + on that throw out bearing deal. My spec stage 2 kit lasted about 10,000 miles if that. The reason I went with a new clutch kit is my T45 was out getting rebuilt and that was the perfect time even with major future mods. Even tho my stock clutch was still 50% or more there. On the spec kit the throw out bearing failed way before and started making noises around a week after the install. I did the steeda cable kit when this was installed also. I replaced the throw out and pilot bearing with FRPP bearings then the clutch went out roughly 7,000 miles after. The first person I had resurface my flywheel did a terrible job and caused my clutch to fail. Now I have a stage 2 ram kit. I love it way more than specs kit. The pedal feel is amazing and it seems when you press the pedal in it's easier but on the release it comes down harder than the spec. I know it sounds odd but it's honestly how it feels. Been rolling roughly 20,000 miles on my ram kit and I love it and still does great. I did all my work myself by the way and it has saved me money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162