Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-04-2013   #1 (permalink)
blackandgoldgt is offline Apprentice

blackandgoldgt's Country Flag
tracy   California
blackandgoldgt is on a distinguished road
Default best headers for 4.6 gt

Ive recently been looking into getting headers for my car, but im debating whivh ones to get shorties or long tubes? Which brand gives me the best bang for my buck? Which header would be good to finish a magnaflow catted x pipe with slp lm1 catback?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2013   #2 (permalink)
SoCal2V is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

If you want to keep the Magnaflow midpipe you have, then stay with shorties. Any brand of shorty header should mount to that midpipe no prob, as they are all designed to fit in stock locations. If you go lt, you will need a short midpipe by the same manufacturer of the headers. LT's from one brand to the next end up at slightly different lengths and slight variances in overall fit. So basically, a midpipe from SLP is designed to fit with SLP lt's, and likely won't bolt right up to anybody else's lt's, at least not without modification. I suppose a decent exhaust shop could also modify your current midpipe to fit lt's, in theory anyway, but you'd really have to find and talk to a local shop about that one.

In terms of hp gains, shorties are basically worthless on our cars; usually about 5rwhp and similar tq numbers. Not much bang for the buck there. Probably make exhaust tone a little nicer though.

LT's are a horrible install - or figure probably somewhere in the ballpark of 8 hrs shop labor if you don't diy. Another consideration (and do your homework here, as they all fit differently and some better than others), is if you ever find yourself wanting to drop the transmission for clutch replacement, you may need to remove at least one of the lt's in order to be able to actually remove the trans. BUT... You will be rewarded with a reasonable gain, usually around 15rwhp.

Lastly, I just noticed where you live, and got some bad news for ya.... Most headers do not carry CARB certification, and the few that do are exponentially more expensive than those that don't. No CARB E.O.#, no pass bi-annual smog testing. They're dicks here in CA. And to my knowledge, there are no lt headers that have CARB certification; has something to do with how the upstream O2 sensor is mounted in a different location from stock and also losing 2 of the 4 factory catalytic convertors; our laws here dictate that anything pollution control/engine management type sensors remain in stock configurations/locations. Now, if you have friends in the right places and smog is no worries, then well do whatever you want.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-04-2013   #3 (permalink)
clintbaum is offline PONY Member

clintbaum's Country Flag
Bluffton   Indiana
clintbaum is on a distinguished road

DO NOT get the BBK long tube headers! Trans cannot be dropped and a clutch can go out at any time. Not sure about any other brands but I do know that American Racing Headers fit wide in the vehicle so the trans can be dropped. Basically for the install you will have to drop the k member and therefore the entire front suspension out of the can and hoist the motor up. Probably a good idea to go ahead and do the suspension while you are at it.
Unread 01-04-2013   #4 (permalink)
Blackbeast98 is offline Apprentice

Blackbeast98's Country Flag  View Blackbeast98's 4 photos
Birmingham   Alabama
Blackbeast98 is on a distinguished road

Ive heard of engines being pulled out to install LTs..ive got stock manifolds and there louder than my buddies lts with the same mufflers my x vs his hpipe
Unread 01-04-2013   #5 (permalink)
pnesmith is offline Apprentice

pnesmith's Country Flag  View pnesmith's 1 photo
Charlotte   North Carolina
pnesmith is on a distinguished road

I hear Mac Long Tubes allow you to squeak the trans in and out. I still have my manifolds and a catted x pipe. I would love longtubes I can afford them but not the cost of labor or the amount of time they require. Mostly because this is my DD and my current running car.
Unread 01-05-2013   #6 (permalink)

tracy   California

I really appreciate all this imformation. This forum is really helpfull. I guess i will just leave the stock headers. I dont think i will really need them for my plans. This car is a daily driver so i dont think i wanr to go through all the headaches for having headers. Any recomendations on what to get for performance so the car is fast enough were i can have a little fun on the street but wont break my bank?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Unread 01-05-2013   #7 (permalink)

Do you have any mods currently? If the car has been tuned up already my first purchase would be gears and a tuner. So far for me its been the biggest difference going from 3.27's up to 4.10. In terms of fuel mileage I lost none and I do a lot of driving on the highway. Next up Upper and Lower control arms to help you put that power to the ground. An off Rd X or H pipe I like the sound of both and a nice catback exhaust I have flowmaster but sometime in the future I'll be switching it. It was on the car when I bought it. After that Upper Intake plenum & Throttle body with a cold or ram air intake. And dont forget the Short throw shifter and for the purposes of looks lowering springs. Theres actually a forum somewhere that goes into specifics on the best manufacture to chose from.
Unread 01-05-2013   #8 (permalink)

tracy   California

The mods on it currently are offroad x pipe and slp lm1 cat back. I believe my car came with 3:55 gears so i dont see what the purpose is in gears.

Unread 01-05-2013   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgoldgt View Post
The mods on it currently are offroad x pipe and slp lm1 cat back. I believe my car came with 3:55 gears so i dont see what the purpose is in gears.

3.55? Whoever had the car before you is an idiot. Sorry, just sayin'. 3.55 is barely a noticeable difference from the stock 3.27 ratio, and therefore not worth the cost and hassle. The only reason, IMO, for using that ratio is if one is planning on going turbo in the future.

Sorry I know you weren't asking for opinions on that but I couldn't help myself.

And hey, what year car are we talking about anyway? That would be helpful to know as the conversation rolls on.

2001 GT Convertible

1967 Coupe

Unread 01-05-2013   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
3.55? Whoever had the car before you is an idiot. Sorry, just sayin'. 3.55 is barely a noticeable difference from the stock 3.27 ratio, and therefore not worth the cost and hassle. The only reason, IMO, for using that ratio is if one is planning on going turbo in the future.

Sorry I know you weren't asking for opinions on that but I couldn't help myself.

And hey, what year car are we talking about anyway? That would be helpful to know as the conversation rolls on.
+1 on everything just stated. I forgot to ask the year of the car thanks for catching SoCal
Unread 01-06-2013   #11 (permalink)

tracy   California

Its a 2004 gt 40th anniversary.

Unread 01-06-2013   #12 (permalink)
2Manystangs is offline Banned

4.6L Member

2Manystangs's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
2Manystangs is on a distinguished road

the best? Kooks...get long tubes, whatever you can afford
The pita factor? high, make sure your clutch is solid since yeah you have to take them off to replace it
Is it worth it? yes, the sound alone is worth the trouble, I've run BBK longs for years and love them...giddyup
Unread 01-06-2013   #13 (permalink)
thetallone is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member

thetallone's Country Flag
Asheville   North Carolina
thetallone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgoldgt View Post

The purpose in gears....well put it this way with 4:10's you might feel like you gonna piss your pants the first few times you stomp it!

Mac Off Road Chambered H Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, SCT custom tuner, C&L Cold Air Intake, Exedy Mach 400 stage 2 clutch, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Under-drive pullies, modded IAC.
Unread 01-06-2013   #14 (permalink)

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetallone View Post
The purpose in gears....well put it this way with 4:10's you might feel like you gonna piss your pants the first few times you stomp it!
Yup, I actually had a lil bit of pre-drip lol.

2001 GT Convertible

1967 Coupe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162