Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-24-2007   #1 (permalink)
rich96cobra is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

rich96cobra's Country Flag
Nashville   Tennessee
rich96cobra is on a distinguished road
Default 4.6 vs ls1 owners

Good title huh guys and got your attention!

I have been reading alot on these forums about how "bada$$" the ls1 one is, and out runs my stock cobra. Also, how ford cannot build an engine, when compared to the ls1.....etc.

Let us get some things straight here.

1. quality. Camaro: I have owned three lt1 camaros. Took me $1100.00 & two mechanics later, to find out that my opti spark was the problem of a missfire. Took an act of GOD to change the optispark. Also,one of the lt1 ones, needed a new transmissions.. Takes an average of 4 hours to change plugs, PAIN to work on, etc.

Mustang: took 30 minutes to change plugs, wires, coils and still was able to drink a gatorade. No tranny problems in the ford.

2. value and resell. Camaro: I am selling my 96 ss for $3300.00. I cannot give the dang thing away. Mustang: Had a old 91 gt stang, bad paint, crap interior, etc. Still was able to get $3000.00. Got 900 calls on the stang before thing the first week of sell. Great value huh?

3. stop being stupid.

camaro: The first thing a new stang owner does on these forums is to check to see how much hp & torque it has compared to the ls1. If you are worried about it so much, then go purchase a $13,000 and then two weeks later try and to get your money back out the bada$$ ls1? The try changing plugs and working on the thing. Pain huh?

Mustang: granted ford did not make the fastest engine when compared to the ls1, but did not GM stop making the camaro? Why? cuz there overprice junk. People got tired of paying an arm & leg for something that is soooooo expensive to repair. Mustangs are still being made though right? Trust me, if ford wanted to (which in the past the have) they can make a bada$$ engine!

I rest my case. By the way, if speed is what you want, purchase a blower for the stang or purchase a sportbike, it will eat any ls1 up. I know, I ride one.

So, Drive you stang with pride. If not then sell it, but stop bashing your stang ride guys when talking about the ls1. We all know how fast they are, but I really could care less! Anyone want a used camaro cheap? HAHA!!

I rest my case.

rich:hihi:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2007   #2 (permalink)
JEB
JEB is offline Top Dog

4.6L Member
S197 Member

JEB's Country Flag  View JEB's 13 photos
Vicksburg   Mississippi
JEB is on a distinguished road

Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

I would be insulted if you GAVE me your crapmaro...

I find the defeatism on here frustrating at times also.

Enjoy your Mustang, it's why you bought it!!!!
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 06-24-2007   #3 (permalink)
DavidL16 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

DavidL16's Country Flag  View DavidL16's 7 photos
Sherman   Texas
DavidL16 is on a distinguished road

hahaha great thread....not only does the Stang look better and ride better, but with just a few hundred bucks you can blow the camaro away......05-07 stang...great cars for boltons...
Unread 06-24-2007   #4 (permalink)
dawrr is offline Senior Member

dawrr's Country Flag  View dawrr's 16 photos  View dawrr's 1 classified ad
Northeast   Connecticut
dawrr is on a distinguished road

Hey, I heard the GTO production ended and there's a lot of talk that the new Camaros will bomb.

I hope they do. They look like S197s that got bent in half and the ugly Chevy symbol plastered on the copycat grill. Pug Fugly.

Unread 06-24-2007   #5 (permalink)
WS6isKing is offline Apprentice

WS6isKing's Country Flag
Miami   Florida
WS6isKing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WS6isKing

lol. I guess I should be offended but... hey, whatever floats your boat. I like my Trans Am just fine.

Mustangs are great too, I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't like them. If the GT was as fast as my TA I'd probably have a Mustang instead.
Unread 06-24-2007   #6 (permalink)
rich96cobra is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

rich96cobra's Country Flag
Nashville   Tennessee
rich96cobra is on a distinguished road

ALL of the mechanics have told me over and over, they HATE working on the camaro/transam. The fact is, camaro/transams are not very popular, difficult to work on, and break on a regular basis. People voiced there opinions by not purchasing the cars anymore.

The camaros/transam are expensive to purchase, expensive to work on, and harder than crap to sell. These are not my opinion, I have experience this for myself, and hence the reason they stop making the camaro.

Thanks for comments guys!

Rich

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 09-16-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Unread 06-24-2007   #7 (permalink)
302THEBOSS is offline Made Member

Classic Member

302THEBOSS's Country Flag
Danbury   Connecticut
302THEBOSS is on a distinguished road

Hmm, im interested in the SS Camaro. Can you tell me some more about it and/ or send me a PM.

1967 Plymouth GTX, work in progress.
440 cubes (thats 7.2 litres for you modern guys)
375 horses
480 ft lbs of torque
MODS: Direct Connection Purple Shaft cam
Unread 06-24-2007   #8 (permalink)
DavidL16 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

DavidL16's Country Flag  View DavidL16's 7 photos
Sherman   Texas
DavidL16 is on a distinguished road

WS6isKING...i would piss all over you 13.9 1/4..hahaha street or track your mine....
Unread 06-24-2007   #9 (permalink)
carguy1985 is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member

carguy1985's Country Flag  View carguy1985's 11 photos  View carguy1985's HomePage
Bradenton   Florida
carguy1985 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to carguy1985 Send a message via Yahoo to carguy1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich96cobra View Post
Good title huh guys and got your attention!

I have been reading alot on these forums about how "bada$$" the ls1 one is, and out runs my stock cobra. Also, how ford cannot build an engine, when compared to the ls1.....etc.

Let us get some things straight here.

1. quality. Camaro: I have owned three lt1 camaros. Took me $1100.00 & two mechanics later, to find out that my opti spark was the problem of a missfire. Took an act of GOD to change the optispark. Also,one of the lt1 ones, needed a new transmissions.. Takes an average of 4 hours to change plugs, PAIN to work on, etc.

Mustang: took 30 minutes to change plugs, wires, coils and still was able to drink a gatorade. No tranny problems in the ford.

2. value and resell. Camaro: I am selling my 96 ss for $3300.00. I cannot give the dang thing away. Mustang: Had a old 91 gt stang, bad paint, crap interior, etc. Still was able to get $3000.00. Got 900 calls on the stang before thing the first week of sell. Great value huh?

3. stop being stupid.

camaro: The first thing a new stang owner does on these forums is to check to see how much hp & torque it has compared to the ls1. If you are worried about it so much, then go purchase a $13,000 and then two weeks later try and to get your money back out the bada$$ ls1? The try changing plugs and working on the thing. Pain huh?

Mustang: granted ford did not make the fastest engine when compared to the ls1, but did not GM stop making the camaro? Why? cuz there overprice junk. People got tired of paying an arm & leg for something that is soooooo expensive to repair. Mustangs are still being made though right? Trust me, if ford wanted to (which in the past the have) they can make a bada$$ engine!

I rest my case. By the way, if speed is what you want, purchase a blower for the stang or purchase a sportbike, it will eat any ls1 up. I know, I ride one.

So, Drive you stang with pride. If not then sell it, but stop bashing your stang ride guys when talking about the ls1. We all know how fast they are, but I really could care less! Anyone want a used camaro cheap? HAHA!!

I rest my case.

rich:hihi:
i still am a chevy boy by heart but after owning a mustang i have changed my negative outlook towards them but truth is truth andf acts are facts....

you answered your own Q with the fact of you owning an lt1, i ran a lt1 down with just catback and driving skill, ls1 is another story.

have you ever tried doing headers yourself on a 4.6 mustang, much harder than on a ls1,

ls1 trannys are great t56s is a good tranny that being they used it stock on ford cobras and dodge vipers? trannies on mustangs suck, t45 is garbage and the 3650 less worse than the t45.

one place ford has always remained strong is on the interior styles and rearends. 8.8 will outlast a 10bolt gm anyday.

you are talking about apples and oranges, you ake a camaro ss 6speed bone stock run 13.2-13.4 vs a bonestock gt running 13.9-14.3 ish.

my fiances 02 Ws6 put down 291 rwhp bone stock on a 95degrees day and 100% humidity rained 1hr before dyno.... and it was an auto, vs my full bolton gt of 251rwhp(decent weather conditions)? no way you can compare the power.

you can run a ls1 with headers/fullexhaust/cam/tires into the high 11s... i know a guy running 11.0 with a auto only has exhaust/150shot/stall/tires, stock engine internals/suspension/rear/stock tranny. thats amazing.

it all comes up to what you wanna do, if you wanna buy a cheaper car (mustang) and spend more to modify it, or spend more on the actually price of car (most ls1s) and spend less on mods.

p.s. corvettes are ls1s (pre C6) no one seems to ***** about that.. oh wait its a corvette.... thats why.
|Cold Air Intake|MAC 70MM Throttle Body|C&L Plenum|MM CC Plates|SCT Xcal2|Steeda Triax|Ford 3.73 Gears|Steeda LCA|FRPP "C" Springs|Kenny Brown Subframe Connectors|MAC O/R H-Pipe|MAC Catback|Strange Engineering 10Way Struts|8K H.I.D. Kit|Spec2|Nitto 555r 315/35/17 |
Unread 06-24-2007   #10 (permalink)
EagleAutosports is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

EagleAutosports's Country Flag  View EagleAutosports's 548 photos  View EagleAutosports's 3 classified ads  View EagleAutosports's HomePage
Graham   North Carolina
EagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to EagleAutosports Send a message via Yahoo to EagleAutosports

I like both Ford and Chevy, I'm not into the Ford/Chevy war. If it's made by the Big 3, I could own it. I used to own a Nova before I got my GT and wish I still had it. I've worked on the Camaro, which looks like a Geo Storm on steroids if you ask me, and it has it's good points and bad. With all the accolades the LS1 engines get, they're not unbeatable. They're stout, but not the almighty itself.
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Unread 06-24-2007   #11 (permalink)
markwondi is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member

markwondi's Country Flag  View markwondi's 22 photos
Michigan
markwondi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to markwondi

The LS1 is much easier to work o n than the previous LT1. The LT1 had a lot of different technology that people weren't used to (reverse cooling, opti-spark, etc).

Fact is, the GM drivetrain (ie. trans and engine) have consistently been more sturdy than the mod motor stuff from Ford.

Ford has a much better rearend and interior than the camaro.

What a lot of people d on't know or understand is that the LSx engines are severely detuned factory "race" engines. How many 15* engines do you see running out on the street? Hell, Nascar, NHRA, etc limit engines to a 18* head.
Unread 06-24-2007   #12 (permalink)
blueoval is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

blueoval's Country Flag  View blueoval's 16 photos  View blueoval's HomePage
Delano   Tennessee
blueoval is on a distinguished road

I wish I had of got a camaro SS instead of my mustang. I have spent a fortune on my car, but it does run good. If I had got a SS all I would had to do was get some heads and a cam maybe small shot of nitrous and would be around what I have now. I like fords but I like camaro's also.
New forged internals w/cobra crank, TEA CNC ported heads w/ comp cams XE270AH, AccuFab throttlebody and plenum, Spec III clutch, TKO 600 trans, aluminum drive shaft, 3:73 gears, BBK long tube headers, 255lpm intank fuel pump, Dyno tuned, Polished Procharger D-1sc 12psi, 3 core intercooler. SVO hood and 18in Budnik wheels w/toyo tires. Caster/Camber plates BBK lowering springs. Car web page
Comp cams XE262AH,T-45 with tri-ax shifter for sale
Unread 06-24-2007   #13 (permalink)
carguy1985 is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member

carguy1985's Country Flag  View carguy1985's 11 photos  View carguy1985's HomePage
Bradenton   Florida
carguy1985 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to carguy1985 Send a message via Yahoo to carguy1985

same here, i couldnt afford the ls1 i wanted.

this is what i wanted color and wheel combo
Attached Thumbnails
4.6 vs ls1 owners-shoot1d.jpg  4.6 vs ls1 owners-shoot1h.jpg  
|Cold Air Intake|MAC 70MM Throttle Body|C&L Plenum|MM CC Plates|SCT Xcal2|Steeda Triax|Ford 3.73 Gears|Steeda LCA|FRPP "C" Springs|Kenny Brown Subframe Connectors|MAC O/R H-Pipe|MAC Catback|Strange Engineering 10Way Struts|8K H.I.D. Kit|Spec2|Nitto 555r 315/35/17 |
Unread 06-24-2007   #14 (permalink)
CobraBoy

haha... first of all... just have to say this...

: rich96 for this thread lol

second.. i know some of the stuff you have seen with people saying the ls1's are better engines is some of the stuff i posted. i do have a cobra and i wouldn't trade it for any camaro ss or ta ever... but, i do know that the ls1 motor is a better motor... you cant argue against it because its simple fact.

i love my cobra and mustangs in general... but i do wish that my cobra had an ls1 motor in it... running 11's with simple bolt ons is kind of a nice thing wouldnt you say?

although even though i do like the gm engines better... i still have been known to throw a "fvck chevy" comment into a conversation with some of my friends every now and then lol

the new z06 is a perfect example of how gm makes better cars in general... i love ford... but sometimes i wish they would freakin grow a pair and build a high production badass that doesnt have a 300k markup.. yeah talking about the gt40... great car... but way overpriced because the demand for them was so high that every dealership that sold one put a huge ass markup on it because they were rare.

and dont even bring up the gt500 because the thing weighs 4k lbs and makes 500 hp (at the flywheel btw) and runs a high 12 stock... and after the fordbendyouovermarkup... they go for about as much as a new z06 (which runs an 11.5 1/4 mile off the showroom floor)

like i said... love mustangs more than anything.. but ford needs to step up their game

Unread 06-24-2007   #15 (permalink)
markwondi is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member

markwondi's Country Flag  View markwondi's 22 photos
Michigan
markwondi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to markwondi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBoy View Post
like i said... love mustangs more than anything.. but ford needs to step up their game
They might as well just give up. THe new LS9 corvette will be out soon, and will run mid 10's bone stock.

Then, a year after that, we're going mid engine to compete with Lambo, etc.... ford is fvcked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164