Ford Mustang Forum banner

What build do I go with?

672 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LevisSlowstang 
#1 ·
Currently, I have a 2003 V6 mustang that was built by a technician in Texas and dyno' at 300hp. Long story short I blew a piston so I plan on rebuilding it but I don't know what route I should go down. Jasper motors offered to sell me a performance v6 motor but didn't want to offer a warranty because I have a procharger so this leaves me with a few options. I want to pull a junkyard v6 and build it (all forged internals) but I could also slap a V8 in it and start slowly building it myself. I'm trying to keep my budget for the engine and installation under $5000 and I want to keep this car as a daily driver but I also want to have one of the most unique sleepers out there because I plan on keeping the Mustang V6 emblem on both sides of the car as well. And for all V8 die hards, the less bias on your response, the better. I'm still considering throwing in the Jasper engine without a warranty but I'd like to see some other suggestions first.

#3 ·
For what you're looking to spend (or any amount, really) you will yield far better results with a 4.6 swap. If you're looking for V6 based recommendations you are in the wrong section of the forum for that.

#4 ·
I haven't done an engine swap before, but I imagine it will be a lot easier just to stick with the v6 and put that blower on it. However, v8 fanboi here, nothing at all against a blown v6... but, that V8 will get you the best results power wise. So I guess it would depend on what you think would be easierester.

#5 ·
Check out Super Six Motorsports. they sell shortblocks for the 3.8-4.2 V6s...Economy build would be a 4.2 crank from a truck, windsor rods, and good forged pistons. Should be good for a decent amount of power out of the V6 especially with boost.

#6 ·
Sorry I can't be of much added value here, but I totally dig your sleeper idea. Once upon a time I actually thought about taking a 99 GT without hood scoop adding a blower, putting a V6 rear bumper, wheels, badging, etc. doing a custom exhaust with a single outlet and really quite muffler. Then just add a little bit of flair (as to look like some stupid wannabe ricer type), so people just though I was just a douche. But wouldn't they be surprised when you stomp their ass.....lol
I personally have never built a V6, but looking at the power output of modern Fords and Chevys N/A's, twin turbo ecoboosts, and the Nissan GTR, I'm sure you can make a beast no problem.
I know new 3.5Eco boosts sell for around $7,500, maybe you would find one out of say a wrecked 2011 Lincoln MKS for considerable less, those were about 350hp/350ft./lb. and being twin turbo you could probably add a lot more with minimal tweeks.

Keep us posted, I would like to hear how this turns out.

#7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm really leaning towards the idea of throwing a 347 stroker short block with mostly forged internals (depending on what the final cost would be) and possibly selling my ATI procharger to get a custom exhaust with a quiet muffler like you said because currently this is my set up.
SSX Cams, Exhaust, Headers, Intake
3.73 Gears
Aftermarket Injectors (The green ones, can't remember brand name)
Short throw shifter
Rear Wing Delete
Front hood scoop delete
Stage 2 Centerforce Performance Clutch
So bare with me because this will be my first engine swap but depending on what I all stuff that I'll have to sell because it won't be able to swap into the V8, I'm thinking about getting the custom exhaust and other aftermarket parts to add too my sleeper. However I'm still open to all suggestions on building a V6 again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.