Ford Mustang Forum banner

Sn95 engine swap and ecu?

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  lwarrior1016 
#1 ·
If one was to do an engine swap in a '97 Gt, (any 4.6 other than 96-98) I assume they would need the ecu and wiring harness to go along with it? Is that correct?

#2 ·
No sir. Any 4.6 based engine will swap right in and run fine with the vehicle's wiring and computer. You can even do a 4v swap and still run it on the stock tune. When you start running pi heads or do a 4v swap then you can benefit from a tune because the engine will like different timing and such, but it will all run.

#3 ·
The slight exception to that being '96-'98 Cobra 4V or Mark8 4V, which use IMRC's. The 2V pcm has no provision to operate them, the common fix or workaround is to delete them (as many 4V owners do anyway). Have also heard you can tie them in their open position with a zip tie.

Reactions: lwarrior1016
#7 ·
From what I understand, 3V's are a pain in the ass and that's why nobody swaps them into these cars. Only 3V swap Ive ever seen was in a magazine, in like a 1980 Fairmont. They won't run with any of the 2V or 4V pcm's (think mostly because of the cam phasers but I may be mistaken), so you would need an S197 pcm and then figure out how to interface with the SN95 fuel, emissions and other electronics such as gauge cluster and transmission if auto. Or wire up an aftermarket standalone pcm/engine management setup.

#9 ·
The 3v can run with the stock ecu if you lock out the cam phasers. The heads flow pretty well but the spark plug design kills it all together. There is a guy on another forum Im on that has a 3v swap in a new edge. The power steering has to be adapted as well as the throttle linkage and whatnot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.