Can I turn my SOHC to DOHC - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
Can I turn my SOHC to DOHC

I have a 98' GT. Is there any possible way to turn my SOHC to a DOHC without buying a new engine?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008
4.6L Member
You can check out this thread for the answer:

2000 Mustang GT; SLP LM1'S; Summit O/r H pipe; JLT True CAI; Accufab 75mm Throttle body & Plenium; Sniper Tuned.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
id say it would be cheaper and easier to buy a cobra with DOHC and sell your GT. Or find a salvaged wrecked cobra and use it as a donor.

-300hp & 365ftlb Est // Dynoed at 253rwhp 309ftlb
-T45RSS Built by John Reggio // Baer 13in. Track Claw // Koni Shocks and Struts// Eibach Sportlines // Ford Racing Upper & Maximum Motorsport Lower Control Arms // Ford Racing '95 Cobra Rs // Toyos // Ram HDX Clutch // Ford Racing 4.10s // CAI & BBK 75mm TB // BBK Catted X-pipe // Hooker Aero Chambers // Custom Tuned using SCT
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008
Made Member
4.6L Member
do some searching on here i promise you will find atleast 190million threads on this.. but anyway yes its possible but i would be willing to bet that your pockit book will tell you other wise and if you have the dough to do it why not just build your 2v up and whip the hell out of the 4v guys cuz u know they will be pissed after that anyway use your search man you will find a ton of stuff on this as its been answered a million times but good luck on whatecver you decide to do
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
The only thing that should remain from your 2v drivetrain when moving to a stout 4v is the block, the driveshaft, and the 8.8 rear differential.

EVERYTHING else goes away, and that really should include the transmission, clutch, and everything to do with the engine, fuel system and engine control system.

And yes, this is all quite possible to do, but extremely expensive (if done right) or extremely labor-intensive and PRETTY expensive (if done shade-tree-frankenstein from a variety of junkyard sources).

Wisest choice is to pick your horsepower goals and then seek advice as to how to achieve those goals (and what sort of driving you are going to do to USE those goals).

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page