Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
MustDangRider is offline Made Member

MustDangRider's Country Flag
Spring   Texas
MustDangRider is on a distinguished road
Default Fan dosent run on my '96 GT

So the fan just beind my radiator does not run. Ive checked all the connections and what not and it dosent seem to want to go. The engine definetly gets hot enough for the computer to turn it on but it dosent seem to want to go. Where do I start??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2009   #2 (permalink)
mmills421 is offline Rookie

mmills421's Country Flag
West Caldwell   New Jersey
mmills421 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mmills421 Send a message via Yahoo to mmills421

Mine did the same thing back when it was a daily driver, not sure if it still does because she's been hiding in the garage for 2 years and just came out to play. It would get pretty hot, definitely past where I thought it should have been triggered, and then near the top it started and cooled down pretty quickly. Obviously keep an eye on it, but it might trigger late. I'm interested to hear input from others on this b/I'm sure it's not supposed to work like that...
96 GT Conv. Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, B&M Ripper Shifter, 3:73 Gears, MAC Cold Air Induction, Steeda Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar, 98 Cobra Rims, Full Alpine System with in-dash DVD/Navigation & 10" JL Audio Stealth Box
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-14-2009   #3 (permalink)
Silver Mustang is offline Apprentice

Silver Mustang's Country Flag
Waianae   Hawaii
Silver Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Cooling fan not working!

Please review my threads at the link listed below. When that page opens up, scroll down and look for my 3 theads listed under: GT Tommy. Hope they help? Keep us posted as to what you find. Good luck, Tommy.

Fan not coming on...any help... - Mustang Forums at StangNet
Unread 05-15-2009   #4 (permalink)

Spring   Texas

Thanks you guys Im first gonna o through and do a voltage test n all the wires just to make sure then Ill follow them all back and make sure theyre all in good condition. think my thermostat may have something to do with this. It reads COLD the entre time till I gun it then it starts to read and shoots up a little past the center.
Unread 05-15-2009   #5 (permalink)

Waianae   Hawaii
Default Try this test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustDangRider View Post
Thanks you guys Im first gonna o through and do a voltage test n all the wires just to make sure then Ill follow them all back and make sure theyre all in good condition. think my thermostat may have something to do with this. It reads COLD the entre time till I gun it then it starts to read and shoots up a little past the center.
One simple test for your fan. Unplug the fans wire connector. You should see 3 wires. The black is the ground, and there should be a red/org wire, and there should be a org/Lt Blue wire, these are the hot wires when the fan is working. Run small jumper wires from your car battery. Test the hot wires one at a time. One is for the high speed side of the fan, and the other is for the low speed side of the fan. After you disconnect the wire connector, place the negative black jumper to the black wire running to the fan, and the other hot jumper wire from the battery to the red/org wire. If your fan is good, it should spin. Then test the org/Lt Blue wire the same way. Again if that side of the fan is good, it should spin. One side will spin faster than the other being that it is the high speed side. If both the low speed and high speed side spins properly, you need to check your fuses at that point. Review the diagrams that I posted in my other thread for the fuse sizes and locations. One NOTE: When you disconnect the wire connector, be sure to clean out the terminals inside the wire connectors on both sides. Use an electrical spray cleaner with a small flat screw driver or small wire brush if available. Clean the terminals as best as you can. If the fan works using the battery power, and the fuses are ok, then you have to look elsewhere to correct the problem. The wire diagrams will tell you where to look. Good luck, Tommy.
Unread 05-16-2009   #6 (permalink)

Spring   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Mustang View Post
One simple test for your fan. Unplug the fans wire connector. You should see 3 wires. The black is the ground, and there should be a red/org wire, and there should be a org/Lt Blue wire, these are the hot wires when the fan is working. Run small jumper wires from your car battery. Test the hot wires one at a time. One is for the high speed side of the fan, and the other is for the low speed side of the fan. After you disconnect the wire connector, place the negative black jumper to the black wire running to the fan, and the other hot jumper wire from the battery to the red/org wire. If your fan is good, it should spin. Then test the org/Lt Blue wire the same way. Again if that side of the fan is good, it should spin. One side will spin faster than the other being that it is the high speed side. If both the low speed and high speed side spins properly, you need to check your fuses at that point. Review the diagrams that I posted in my other thread for the fuse sizes and locations. One NOTE: When you disconnect the wire connector, be sure to clean out the terminals inside the wire connectors on both sides. Use an electrical spray cleaner with a small flat screw driver or small wire brush if available. Clean the terminals as best as you can. If the fan works using the battery power, and the fuses are ok, then you have to look elsewhere to correct the problem. The wire diagrams will tell you where to look. Good luck, Tommy.
What if its just one big fan??
Unread 05-16-2009   #7 (permalink)

Waianae   Hawaii
Default Check the wire connector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustDangRider View Post
What if its just one big fan??
The stock factory fan is a single fan, and it will still have two speeds, a low and a high speed. Each speed gets power from a different source. Check the wiring like I mentioned in my previous tread. If there are 3 wires running to your fan motor, then you have a low and high speed fan. So, if you do have 3 wires, go ahead and test both speeds as directed in my previous thread. If it is not the stock fan, and it does not have 3 wires, let me know how many wires it has, and what the colors are. Good luck, Tommy.
Unread 05-16-2009   #8 (permalink)

Waianae   Hawaii
Default Here's what you should have!

If you have a stock factory fan, it should look like this one shown below in the top picture. And your fan motor wire connector should look like this one shown below in the bottom picture. Let me know if these match up with what you have. Good luck, Tommy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164