Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
Bullitt5339 is offline Top Dog

4.6L Member

Bullitt5339's Country Flag  View Bullitt5339's 9 photos
St Pauls   North Carolina
Bullitt5339 is on a distinguished road
Default The formula for a 12 second Mustang GT/Bullitt.....

OK, I see so many people having big problems with their cars at the track, while my quest for the 12's was pretty easy and uneventful. While the majority on here are good guys, I think 75% of our younger crowd who are building their first fast car have no clue whatsoever. It's not all about horsepower guys. I have a bone stock engine, the valve covers have never even been off. I don't have a supercharger or nitrous, and I drive my car 70 miles a day back and forth to work. So for the younger guys, I'm going to save you a ton of money to get into the 12 second range and be a serious contender. In my opinion 12 second cars are where you start to get fast, so take that for what it's worth.

#1: Track Time, Track Time, Track Time......You have to do it to get better at it. Don't worry about your car being slow, or what other people think, you're on there for one reason: To work on YOUR driving. Go to a test and tune every other week, or at least once a month. I started at a 14.1, and got down to a 13.9 without doing any changes to my car, I just learned how the car wanted to be driven. Shifting at redline on a stock 4.6 will slow you down also. Play with your shift points, but I've found 5600 to be a good starting point.

#2: Tires, Tires, Tires.......Unless you've got a fairly stock automatic, you'll never be consistant on street tires. Even a stock 5 speed is hard to launch and get anywhere near decent 60ft times on street tires. My 60ft times on stock tires was a 2.2. Upgrading to BFG Drag Radials got me a 1.8. That's .4 second gain right off the starting line, and equated to a .6 gain at the stripe. There's no other mod you can do right off the get-go that will net you that type of gain without a power adder.

#3: Control Arms....... Let's face it, the factory Mustang rear suspension is horrible. Horrible for handling, Horrible for drag racing, so do something about it. There's 2 different ways to do this, and it really depends on what your goals are with the car. Lower control arms are not an option, you have to have them. I went a bit aggressive on mine, and have HPM Megabite SRs with adjustable heim joints in them. You don't have to get that serious, but you do need something better than stock with some good stiff bushings. With the upper control arms, you have to make a decision. How much money do you want to spend, and how 1/4 mile focused are you vs. handling? I went the expensive route, because I want my car to handle like it's on rails, not just be a 1/4 mile queen. I went with FRPP upper control arms and the Maximum Motorsports Panhard bar to keep the rear end centered under the car. I adjusted my pinion angle using the lower control arms to -2 degrees. However, the cheap way if you just want to make 1/4 mile blasts is to buy a set of double adjustable upper control arms, and set your pinion angle using them. The only drawback to this is that because of the geometry of the rear end, using poly bushings in the upper control arms induces some bind in the rear suspension. If you're just a casual driver, and 1/4 mile junkie, you'll never experience it though. Only if you get into hard cornering will it happen.

#4: Weight Reduction........Seriously, did you really need that double 1/4 pounder with cheese for lunch? Seriously though, it's been said that for every 100lbs you can cut off your car, you gain around .1 in the 1/4 mile, and I'd say that's pretty close to begin with on a street car. How crazy you get with this is up to you. Like I said, I drive my car 70 miles a day, so just gutting my car isn't an option. Before I go to the track, I take everything out of the trunk, including the spare tire, and I take the passenger and rear seats out, and make sure that all my crap is out of the center console. That's as far as I go, and probably 150-200lbs lighter, I would guess.

#5: Gears and Tune.....I always suggest doing these two at the same time, it just makes sense. I chose 4.10's because most of my driving is down back country roads, and road with speed limits of 55mph or less. My GPS tells me average speed for however long I want, and I've been letting it go for 2 months, and my average is 40.2mph. 4.10's in a naturally aspirated car is the perfect gear for blasting down the 1/4 mile. It will take you to the limits in 4th gear, and provide the max torque multiplication you can get. I've calculated that 4.10's on a 26" tire will be good until I'm running high 11's, then I'll have to switch to a 28" tire in order to not run out of gear. No problem. As far as the tune, at this stage, I don't think it's completely necessary to go spend $400 plus the cost of the tuner for a custom dynotune. I bought an SF3 from Holcomb Motorsports with the canned tunes in it, but never used the canned tunes at the track. To be honest, my car ran like crap with the canned tunes, because they were GT specific. I think the best deal for the money is to contact VMP, Brookspeed, or another company that will do remote tuning. They send you a base tune, which you load into your car for fairly cheap, $50-75. You then take your car to a local dyno, and datalog on the SF3 or X3 and get the air/fuel readings from the dyno operator. Then you take all that information and email to them, and they adjust your tune for you to be as close to perfect as you can get it. I think that's one of the best deals going.

#4: Bolt Ons....... Make them count. Don't waste money, period. I did buy a CAI for my car, mainly because my car didn't have a stock airbox on it when I bought it, it had a cheap Spectre filter bolted onto the back half of the factory airbox. GHETTO!!!! But honestly, you don't need one. A good paper filter kept clean flows as well as any K&N or oiled gauze filter. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's true. Dyno Proven. I would take snorkel off of the airbox, and possible open the hole up a little, and take your passenger's side headlight out while you're at the track, and the air blows straight into the filter. It's only 2 slide clips, and unplug the bulbs, not a huge task for anyone. An aftermarket shifter is one of the best purchases you can make, honestly. It will allow you to become very good at shifting your car, and the factory one is very very sloppy. Highly recommended. You can do underdrive pulleys if you want, but I made it into the 12's without them, they're still sitting in my office in the box. The only other mod I made to my car is weld in mufflers, which aren't worth any power, and I went with an off-road X pipe from UPR. That's it!!!!!!!! That's the secret, or lack of it. Because mine is a Bullitt, I do have a different intake and throttle body, but at this horsepower level, a simple plenum and throttle body combination on your stock GT intake is plenty to make up the difference. How do I know?

A friend of mine with similar mods, (different brands, but the same mods) in a GT with plenum and throttle body and I made a side by side pass down the 1/4 mile, the differences being only .04 seconds. Now that's a good run!!!!!!

My only disclaimer to this list is that I have been drag racing for 18 years, and my track is close to sea level. Different altitudes and barometric pressures will effect your times significantly. There are quite a few online calculators that will allow you to adjust your times to sea level to account for those. I do not condone using those times as "your times", but it does help you compare your times to others, such as mine that are more near sea level to see if your driving and your mods are making the difference they should.

Now, get to the track and start practicing!!!!!!

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
cement guy is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

cement guy's Country Flag
Lawrence County   Pennsylvania
cement guy is on a distinguished road

+1 bullitt
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
johnr2001 is offline Senior Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

johnr2001's Country Flag  View johnr2001's 16 photos
in the sticks   Maryland
johnr2001 is on a distinguished road

Damn you must be bored lol,

great advice though.........

1990 lx fully built 331 stroker

89 LX lots of goodies
Unread 12-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
MeanChad1 is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

MeanChad1's Country Flag
Long Beach   California
MeanChad1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MeanChad1 Send a message via Skype™ to MeanChad1

Very nice thread.
Unread 12-29-2009   #5 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr2001 View Post
Damn you must be bored lol,

great advice though.........
Yeah, I was at work by myself this morning, with nothing going on.

But seriously, I see a bunch of threads lately with people just not thinking mods through, and doing things in an idiotic order, and wanting to spend money on stupid things to make their cars go faster, or give them more horsepower.

When you've got 380rwhp, but run mid 13's in the 1/4, you'll come back to this thread wondering how that near stock Bullitt is running 12's with 265rwhp....

Unread 12-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
AJCaron12 is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

AJCaron12's Country Flag
Manchester   New Hampshire
AJCaron12 is on a distinguished road

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm fairly consistent with shifting. My QMile time is hands down based on how I fire off the line, and it's usually all or nothing.
SCT tuner...SLP powerflo catback...JLT short ram intake...Typhoon intake manifold...Professional products throttle body...C&L intake plenum...Steeda underdrive pulleys...Steeda tri-ax short throw shifter...05-09 Mustang GT shift knob...Steeda adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant kit...Eibach front sway bar...Steel strut bar...Tokico shocks...Polyurethane spring isolators...J&M rear lower control arms...Powerslot rotors...Nitto tires
Unread 12-29-2009   #7 (permalink)
GreenMachine911 is offline Apprentice

GreenMachine911's Country Flag  View GreenMachine911's 2 photos
Raleigh   North Carolina
GreenMachine911 is on a distinguished road

haha! good thread seriously. i hope that i am not one of those guys, as i ran a 13.42 with a nearly stock gt. only mods were cold air intake, bbk shorty headers, o/r x pipe and magnaflow glasspacks.

i did purchase some upper and lower control arms from UPR, but how do i know if they are made for a road course or drag strip?
Unread 12-29-2009   #8 (permalink)

4.6L Member

It doesn't really matter on the lower control arms. Anything is better than stock. If you've got uppers, then they are definately more drag racing biased. The big thing with the lowers is to get rid of the soft mushy rubber bushings, you can get more drag biased by buying LCAs with relocation brackets or anti-squat brackets (same thing). Those are more drag based because they move the instant center of the car higher, which gives you better straightline traction. But they aren't optimal for road racing or autocross.

Unread 12-29-2009   #9 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCaron12 View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm fairly consistent with shifting. My QMile time is hands down based on how I fire off the line, and it's usually all or nothing.
What are your 60ft times? If you're not in the 1.8 or lower arena with stock gearing, and better than that with gears, then you need to start over honestly. The only thing you can do with shifting is become faster, and adjust your shift points to where after you shift, you're near the peak torque of the engine. That is how you'll get your best times.

Unread 12-29-2009   #10 (permalink)
joe98stang is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
4.6L Member

joe98stang's Country Flag  View joe98stang's 9 photos
Laredo   Texas
joe98stang is on a distinguished road

very nice thread man thanks
Unread 12-29-2009   #11 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

Good write-up man. I found getting into the 12's pretty easy too, basically the same formula as you, and it doesn't hurt that I have 20 years experience at the track. Its not all that hard to get there, and its just on the cusp of being fast. Makes for a fun car though, and still completely streetable with good mileage.
Unread 12-29-2009   #12 (permalink)
Black_2_1996 is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

Black_2_1996's Country Flag  View Black_2_1996's 10 photos
Riverview   Florida
Black_2_1996 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thats good stuff
Unread 12-29-2009   #13 (permalink)
BlueStreak03 is offline SHELBY GT 500 Member

BlueStreak03's Country Flag  View BlueStreak03's 78 photos
Trinity   North Carolina
BlueStreak03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03

Excellent info.

Also for anyone who drives a convertible, subframe connectors will go a long way towards keeping that chassis in a straight line under torque loading. I was absolutely stunned at how solid mine felt after having my Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors welded in. Not to mention, it stopped that pesky drivers side front wheel carry when I hammered it from a dead stop.
"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
Unread 12-29-2009   #14 (permalink)
02 shaker is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member

02 shaker's Country Flag  View 02 shaker's 5 photos
Strasburg   Virginia
02 shaker is on a distinguished road

I find it all to be true....The practice or "seat" time at the test & tune, and the gears and rear suspension mods.....pretty much everything you said. I've been racing my self for 25 yrs and couldn't say it any different. Not bragging, but my former 04 mach, with it's stock engine, trans and clutch with just gears, exhaust, UPR (basic) rear control arms and a wild tune, oh...and M/T steet radials, ran 11.9's, with 1.54 60 ft times....NO LIE. Took me lot's of getting to know my car and how it runs, to get there, but I did it. Lots of fun running guys with the NOS and Blowers that ran slower.

Meziere electric W/P & 170 stat, C&L air filter system, Summit & March U/D pulleys, FRPP 70mm throttlebody, Perf Prod. plenum, FRPP alum. D/S & 4:56 gears, Auburn Diff, Alloy axles, Revmax 3000 stall conv. UPR rear upper & lower control arms, Lakewood drag shocks & struts, Eibach rear drag springs, SCT chip & tune, Flowmaster mufflers
Unread 12-30-2009   #15 (permalink)
Rodstang01 is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

Rodstang01's Country Flag
Elizabeth   New Jersey
Rodstang01 is on a distinguished road

Thanks you very much for sharing this valuable info, but after this you will have a hard time beating fellow mustang’s owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162