Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Bullitt5339 is offline Top Dog

4.6L Member

Bullitt5339's Country Flag  View Bullitt5339's 9 photos
St Pauls   North Carolina
Bullitt5339 is on a distinguished road
Default How To: Replace Wheel Bearings/Hub Assembly

Guys, I did this a little while ago, and let me tell you, this is by far the easiest thing I've replaced on the car. I hadn't done a hub on a Mustang yet, but dove into it, and laughed when I was done. It literally takes 15-20 minutes start to finish, but books for an hour labor at the shop. So save yourself $60, and do it yourself, and you'll laugh also. The wheel bearings in the front of the Mustang are not replaceable (well, they are, but it's a pain to find them), and after seeing that the entire hub is only $45 from RockAuto, it's well worth the $15 extra to buy the entire hub, and not have to worry about pressing the bearings out an in.

Tools Needed:

Lug Wrench
Jack
Jack Stands
36mm socket (can be rented from Autozone)
ratchet
breaker bar
Torque Wrench 250ft lb capable (can be rented from Autozone)
15mm socket
rubber mallet

Parts Needed:

New Hub Assembly ($45 from RockAuto)
New Spindle Nut ($8 from RockAuto)
New dust cover ($4 from Ford)

#1: Jack the car up and remove the wheel.

#2: Crack open the bleeder valve for the brakes. This will make getting them off a lot easier.

#3: Remove the caliper and bracket together by unbolting the 2 15mm bolts from the back. Tuck it up behind the strut, out of the way.

#4: Remove the brake rotor. Just pulls right off.

#5: Remove the dust cap from the hub with a screwdriver or small prybar.

#6: Using a 36mm socket, remove the factory spindle nut, and throw it away. YOU MUST USE A NEW NUT EVERYTIME YOU REMOVE IT!!!!

#7: A few gentle taps with a mallet will take the hub right off. Part of my offending bad bearing stayed behind, so a few more taps, and it was off also.

#8: Clean the spindle up with some brake cleaner

#9: Slide the new hub on the spindle

#10: Tighten the new spindle nut TIGHT!!!!. It calls for a torque value of 258ft lbs. I know most torque wrenches don't go that high, so you have to check it out first. The one I had went to 250ft lbs, so I went until it clicked, and then leaned on it a little bit more.

#11: Put a new dustcap on the new hub, and tap it on with a rubber mallet.

#12: Reinstall the brake rotor

#13: Reinstall the brake caliper

#14: Bleed the brakes since you had the bleeder screw open

#15: Put your wheel back on.

And you're done. Super Easy fix that takes no time.

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
gostriderblack is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

gostriderblack's Country Flag  View gostriderblack's 7 photos
Longmont   Colorado
gostriderblack is on a distinguished road

thanks man i need to do this and was kinda afraid to jump in it.. seems easy enoughf
Unread 03-06-2010   #3 (permalink)
GrandMos is offline Rookie

GrandMos's Country Flag
Royal Oak   Michigan
GrandMos is on a distinguished road

I did it yesterday night. All went very smooth for my 99 cobra with 100k miles.
I didn't even need to remove the bleeder.
2 hours total for left and right, taking the time to do thing properly on my baby

I advise to change both hub bearing at the same time... From my experience, when 1 side start to make noise, the other will follow soon.
Also if you can fell the wheel moving up and down when jacking the car and hold the wheel 12om/6pm, change the hub bearing.

Now the result is amazing. I don't have small knocking noise coming from the front on roads with slight imperfections like sewer plate, etc.
Direction is also more precise.

Great explanation Bullitt! Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-06-2010   #4 (permalink)
hotshot is offline S197 Mustang Owner

4.6L Member
S197 Member

hotshot's Country Flag  View hotshot's 102 photos
West Caldwell   New Jersey
hotshot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hotshot

good write up! i added it to the sticky thread of links
2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Unread 06-07-2010   #5 (permalink)
Wexelent is offline Rookie

4.6L Member

Wexelent's Country Flag
Lynchburg   Virginia
Wexelent is on a distinguished road

I did this to my 01' Saleen and it really does make a world of difference. What used to be an almost unbearable roar and an unbelievable excess wear on the left rear tire is now gone.

Though I do have one question to post along with this. I still have a lot of clatter and clank from the front when driving. I take off the wheel and spin the lugs and theres nothing, but if i put the brakes and the wheel back on it makes a horrible sound like metal dragging and banging against metal. It's extremely loud and comes from a 2 mph roll all the way up to 65 mph. Could this be the bearing again? I replaced them twice in two weeks. Could this be the brakes rattling? Possibly the rotors need to be turned? Any help is much appreciated.
Unread 06-07-2010   #6 (permalink)

4.6L Member

It definitely sounds like a brake problem to me.

Unread 06-07-2010   #7 (permalink)
Wexelent is offline Rookie

4.6L Member

Wexelent's Country Flag
Lynchburg   Virginia
Wexelent is on a distinguished road

Do you think that the caliper is beating around inside the bracket or something? Maybe where the pads are holding the caliper in its jiggling around or something? Come to think of it, is there another way to secure the pads and caliper in the bracket other than the one retaining pin that goes in the bottom after you slide the pads and caliper back on? Maybe a clip or something for the top. I believe the caliper is a two piston, same as was on the cobras of that year.
Unread 06-08-2010   #8 (permalink)
Meehlimo is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
4.6L Member

Meehlimo's Country Flag  View Meehlimo's 10 photos
Sewell   New Jersey
Meehlimo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo

where did you find it for 45? im looking at rockauto now and its over a 100 for a hub assembly. could your provide the part number bullitt?
Show mods: Blackout decklid, ultra clear fogs,HIDs 6000k,mach 1 lip, mach 1 grille delete ,stalker hood, Gt scoops, Gt rear bumper, Rear window louves, 01 cobra rims, cobra calipers, cross drilled slotted rotors, two tone paint.

Go Mods: 8.8 Rear, 3.73s, Borla Stingers, JLT Rai,93 oct Perf tune, worked over 4r70w, custom shift kit.

V8 Swap 100%done
Unread 06-08-2010   #9 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Here's the part number I used;

TIMKEN Part # 513115 $47.79

Unread 06-08-2010   #10 (permalink)
Meehlimo is offline PONY Member

V6 Member
4.6L Member

Meehlimo's Country Flag  View Meehlimo's 10 photos
Sewell   New Jersey
Meehlimo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo

Thanks again your a life saver. mines been going bad for quite a while now.
Show mods: Blackout decklid, ultra clear fogs,HIDs 6000k,mach 1 lip, mach 1 grille delete ,stalker hood, Gt scoops, Gt rear bumper, Rear window louves, 01 cobra rims, cobra calipers, cross drilled slotted rotors, two tone paint.

Go Mods: 8.8 Rear, 3.73s, Borla Stingers, JLT Rai,93 oct Perf tune, worked over 4r70w, custom shift kit.

V8 Swap 100%done
Unread 10-06-2010   #11 (permalink)
rmedrano is offline Rookie

4.6L Member

rmedrano's Country Flag  View rmedrano's 4 photos
Pensacola   Florida
rmedrano is on a distinguished road

Did this on my 2001 Bullitt yesterday.. This was too easy, did both sides in under 1.5 hrs. Thanks for the great instructions.
Unread 10-06-2010   #12 (permalink)
RedStang1313 is offline Made Member

4.6L Member

RedStang1313's Country Flag
Colchester   Connecticut
RedStang1313 is on a distinguished road

hey I did the wheel bearing the other day like 7-8 days ago and it is cake.

and +1 timken is sweet thats the only bearing I will ever use from now on
Unread 03-29-2012   #13 (permalink)
Scott2 is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member
S197 Member

Scott2's Country Flag  View Scott2's 38 photos
King City   Ontario
Scott2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
Guys, I did this a little while ago, and let me tell you, this is by far the easiest thing I've replaced on the car. I hadn't done a hub on a Mustang yet, but dove into it, and laughed when I was done. It literally takes 15-20 minutes start to finish, but books for an hour labor at the shop. So save yourself $60, and do it yourself, and you'll laugh also. The wheel bearings in the front of the Mustang are not replaceable (well, they are, but it's a pain to find them), and after seeing that the entire hub is only $45 from RockAuto, it's well worth the $15 extra to buy the entire hub, and not have to worry about pressing the bearings out an in.

Tools Needed:

Lug Wrench
Jack
Jack Stands
36mm socket (can be rented from Autozone)
ratchet
breaker bar
Torque Wrench 250ft lb capable (can be rented from Autozone)
15mm socket
rubber mallet

Parts Needed:

New Hub Assembly ($45 from RockAuto)
New Spindle Nut ($8 from RockAuto)
New dust cover ($4 from Ford)

#1: Jack the car up and remove the wheel.

#2: Crack open the bleeder valve for the brakes. This will make getting them off a lot easier.

#3: Remove the caliper and bracket together by unbolting the 2 15mm bolts from the back. Tuck it up behind the strut, out of the way.

#4: Remove the brake rotor. Just pulls right off.

#5: Remove the dust cap from the hub with a screwdriver or small prybar.

#6: Using a 36mm socket, remove the factory spindle nut, and throw it away. YOU MUST USE A NEW NUT EVERYTIME YOU REMOVE IT!!!!

#7: A few gentle taps with a mallet will take the hub right off. Part of my offending bad bearing stayed behind, so a few more taps, and it was off also.

#8: Clean the spindle up with some brake cleaner

#9: Slide the new hub on the spindle

#10: Tighten the new spindle nut TIGHT!!!!. It calls for a torque value of 258ft lbs. I know most torque wrenches don't go that high, so you have to check it out first. The one I had went to 250ft lbs, so I went until it clicked, and then leaned on it a little bit more.

#11: Put a new dustcap on the new hub, and tap it on with a rubber mallet.

#12: Reinstall the brake rotor

#13: Reinstall the brake caliper

#14: Bleed the brakes since you had the bleeder screw open

#15: Put your wheel back on.

And you're done. Super Easy fix that takes no time.
This is a very old thread, but I recently replaced the OEM hubs on my 08 GT/CS with FRPP Hubs with ARP Long Studs. Here are a few pictures that roughly follow the original post:

The ARP studs are 1 inch longer than the OEM studs.

Before picture OEM Hub and Studs:

Baer Caliper and Rotor removed and Spindle nut backed off with a 35mm socket and breaker bar:

OEM Hub removed:

FRPP Hub installed and torqued to 221 lbs-ft with a 36mm socket, and dust cap installed:

Baer Rotor and Caliper installed:

Wheel installed with FRPP Open Ended Lug Nuts (for use with the SVT wheels).

Pretty simple install, the aspect that took the longest was probably removing the Red Loctite from the Caliper Bolts.

2008 GT/CS Auto Mods Courtesy: AeroForce, Agent 47, Air Lift Performance, American Racing Headers, Auto Meter, Axle Exchange, Baer, BMR Suspensions, CPC, Canton, Covercraft, Cervini's Auto Design, DaSilva Racing, DiabloSport, FRPP, Fore Precision, JLT Perf, Kirban Perf, Lube Locker, Magnaflow, Maximum Motorsports, Moroso, Nitto, Performance Automatic, Pioneer, Raxiom, Royal Purple, Russell Perf, SCT, Shelby Perf Parts, SOS, Stack Racing, Steeda, StopTech, TA Perf, TCI Auto, UPR & Vortech
Unread 06-13-2012   #14 (permalink)
bherkes is offline Rookie

bherkes's Country Flag  View bherkes's 1 photo
Moline   Illinois
bherkes is on a distinguished road
Default rear wheel bearing

i'm trying to replace my rear hub assembly, i know it's different with the e brake. is that pretty much the only real difference between front and rear?
Unread 06-13-2012   #15 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherkes View Post
i'm trying to replace my rear hub assembly, i know it's different with the e brake. is that pretty much the only real difference between front and rear?
No. Need some details about what car you have, but the difference between front and rear is more like night and day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162