Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
stanged witch is offline Rookie

4.6L Member

stanged witch's Country Flag
Long Beach   Washington
stanged witch is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Mustang gt fuel pump removal

Good day all any and help needed here the fuel pump is out in my 2000 gt mustang and i can't find a book or any help on the internet on how to go about changing the electric fuel pump in the gas tank.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2010   #2 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

Make sure it is the pump and not a relay or the pump shut off in the trunk, its pretty common to have the shut off kick in and kill the pump, and its easily reset. A relay is also a simple fix. To change the pump:

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and jack the car up, support it on jack stands. If the tank is not almost empty you'll want to syphon off the fuel into a clean container to reuse when you're done. Next relieve the fuel pressure in the lines, then you have to lower the tank, it's held up by straps. Once you get the tank down you remove the wiring connectors and the collar holding the pump in the tank. Reinstall everything, check the cutoff in the trunk, and get rolling. Let me know if you have any questions.
Unread 04-24-2010   #3 (permalink)
99saleen87 is offline Rookie

99saleen87's Country Flag
D-town   California
99saleen87 is on a distinguished road

God!!! I wish I could've taken some pictures of that procedure. I just did mine today an my 99 saleen, and of curse all the 99-04 mustangs have an in-tank fuel pump. I kind of had a good idea on how to do it, but if you don't even know how to turn a wrench then were in serious trouble here bud.. Ill try my best ok? 1ST start by draining the gas tank as much as possible, its a lot better if someone can help you, that son of a tank is going to give you a hard time if you do it by your self, and with a full tank.. oh and by the way I don't know if you have and idea how to remove the back bumper, but if you do I suggest you do it, that saved me from getting me mad and breaking a window on my ride. start by removing the 3 bolts on the gas filler neck, you know when you open the fuel door you'll see the 3 bolts around, can't miss em. go inside your trunk and remove the hose thats connected aside of the neck. Now heres the hard part. Remove the fuel filter line, and then bolts attached to the gas tank straps... Once you done that, try to drop the gas tank all the way, try using a jack so that you can drop the tank slowly, if you can try to remove all the hoses you see that are keeping the gas tank from being dropped, I mean common sense right?? the gas filler neck kind of gets on the way pretty bad, so once all the hoses are out, pull the gas filler neck out, I mean out!!! don't worry its kind of long but just pull it out, "of course the filler neck" its going to come out with the seal, but no worries it ill be fine. Just use common sense and take out all the bolts and parts that are on your way. Just make sure you remember how to put them back. So thats pretty much it, be careful with the hose clamps hopefully you got some tools, from 1 to 10, 10 being extremely difficult, I give this a good 7.5 and a good 5 if you got the help.. so good luck, by the way I tried the airtex fuel pump and it worked great, but I bought the whole assembly... Worked great!! hopefully this incomplete info helps in some way.. good luck bud.... Mario
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-24-2010   #4 (permalink)
soupnutz is offline Apprentice

soupnutz's Country Flag
virginia beach   Virginia
soupnutz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanged witch View Post
Good day all any and help needed here the fuel pump is out in my 2000 gt mustang and i can't find a book or any help on the internet on how to go about changing the electric fuel pump in the gas tank.
Pretty much every auto parts store carries a wide variety of haynes manuals, if you do any diy on your car whatsoever that should be your first invesment.
Unread 04-24-2010   #5 (permalink)
stanged witch is offline Rookie

4.6L Member

stanged witch's Country Flag
Long Beach   Washington
stanged witch is on a distinguished road

thank you i will see if i can find someone to help me. But thank you for the help will try to tackle tomorrow or next weekend.
Unread 04-24-2010   #6 (permalink)
mell0 is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member

mell0's Country Flag  View mell0's 31 photos  View mell0's HomePage
Boxford   Massachusetts
mell0 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mell0

here's my write up when i did my procharger write up:

"Fuel pump and the fuel filter were next.

-These were also pretty straight forward. Now that I think of it, nothing was really "difficult" it just took patience and time really.

-For the fuel pump you have to drop the fuel tank down. To do this remove the fuel lines attached to the tank itself. They are just held on by clamps. Two on the front and two on each side of the tank. Then remove the 3 bolts that are around the gas cap. From here go ahead and jack a jack up to support the tank while you unbolt the straps supporting the fuel tank. The tank might not want to drop right away because it a) might be stuck, b) might be stuck on the exhaust, or c) might be clinging on to this putty that for some reason is stuck to the tank and bottom of the car.

-Once everything is loose slowly lower the tank and make sure nothing is getting stuck.

-The top of my tank was a bit dirty and I was afraid of getting junk in the fuel tank so I vacuumed the top of the tank until it was clean. There are about 8 bolts holding the over on the top of the fuel tank. Unbolt them.

-The top of the fuel basket is held on by about 6 VERY VERY small screws. CAREFULLY unscrew them and make sure they do not fall in the tank. After this remove the top of the basket and take out the fuel pump.

-Repeat all of this in reverse order when putting the new fuel pump in.

-Once everything was bolted back up I went ahead and changed the fuel filter. This was a bit frustrating. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR SAFTEY GOGGLES!!!! Thankfully I did and fuel spilt all over my face but I ended up being alright. You can wash gas off of your skin but it can permanently damage your eyes. You need a special Ford fuel line puller that you can get at any auto parts store. Mine was like 8 bucks."

Unread 04-24-2010   #7 (permalink)
99saleen87 is offline Rookie

99saleen87's Country Flag
D-town   California
99saleen87 is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help with my new issue!!

I just did my clutch, flywheel, fuel pump, and fuel filter swap. Well everything went well (I think) but I just recently encounter a problem. On first gear before a normal take off, the car rattles a little bit, something like a misfire but Im 100% sure that thats not a bad plug, well what else can it be? I mean it doesn't sound like a bad motor mount or else it would basically do it all the time right? it just happens on 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th are fine but the the take of, its a bit grouchy.. Why this? I got a lighter flywheel, I don't think thats the problem right, maybe the driveshaft? maybe my tranny? What else can it be?? Please help.
Unread 04-24-2010   #8 (permalink)
mell0 is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member

mell0's Country Flag  View mell0's 31 photos  View mell0's HomePage
Boxford   Massachusetts
mell0 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mell0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99saleen87 View Post
I just did my clutch, flywheel, fuel pump, and fuel filter swap. Well everything went well (I think) but I just recently encounter a problem. On first gear before a normal take off, the car rattles a little bit, something like a misfire but Im 100% sure that thats not a bad plug, well what else can it be? I mean it doesn't sound like a bad motor mount or else it would basically do it all the time right? it just happens on 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th are fine but the the take of, its a bit grouchy.. Why this? I got a lighter flywheel, I don't think thats the problem right, maybe the driveshaft? maybe my tranny? What else can it be?? Please help.
sounds like clutch chatter to me. did you properly install your clutch and all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162