Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-14-2010   #1 (permalink)
evanjp is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland
evanjp is on a distinguished road
Default clutch cable issue 2002 Mustang GT

hello everybody i am having issues with my clutch or clutch cable. i recently changed out my cable, quadrant and installed the firewall adjuster to my car and prior to that, the clutch, when pressing the pedal IN, would feel like it was sticking/rubbing/and had a lot of unusual tension to it. like it was rubbing against something. it would cure itself after being at the drag strip and after a couple of days, become a little more difficult to depress and it would feel sticky and not smooth.

after installing the new stuff, my cable was kind of tight and the clutch would engage pretty high up in the travel of the pedal. i messed with it and tried backing the wire out of the adjuster to make it looser a lot and finally got it down to a reasonable area, but the stickyness is back and it feels worse. when the car is off, the motion of the pedal going IN would feel fine and smooth. when turning it on, taking it out after starting it up, you can feel a very odd feeling in the pedal. almost a vibrationy feeling, but it is not a smooth engagement/disengagement of the clutch at all. after first installing the cable and everything else, the clutch responded very quickly when taking off in first and going into every gear. it was very responsive and almost felt like i had a new clutch. now it is sluggish going into first and the clutch pedal just feels awful. it feels like the cable is about to snap or something.

on the tranny, where the cable connects a plastic piece into the hole for the cable to go through to attatch to the bellhousing, the cable is rubbing on the side of that plastic cylinder that connects the black tubing onto the cable. could that be the problem?
could i have routed the cable wrong?
-i forgot the actual position of the stock cable so i threaded it through where i thought it went and it might be wrong?
could my cable be stretched?
could i have done something wrong?

also, no matter how far i back the adjuster out to loosen the cable, the TOB still spins on the shaft.

any ideas anybody? i'm almost afraid to drive the car in this condition?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2010   #2 (permalink)
k20to5.0 is offline PONY Member

k20to5.0's Country Flag
Lusby   Maryland
k20to5.0 is on a distinguished road

From the way you describe it, sounds like your cable is binding up somewhere. See if moving the cable around one way or another helps or makes it worse.

I think this is your issue.

Edelbrock performer upper and Lower intake,GT40P Heads, Trick flow stage 1 cam, 1.7 rr, BBK Fenderwell CAI, 75mm TB, BBK Lontubes, O/R H Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, 373s, MM SBCs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-15-2010   #3 (permalink)

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland

thank you very much fellow marylander. i will see what is going on with that./

if anything else comes to mind, would you or anybody be willing to add some more possible ideas?
Unread 05-15-2010   #4 (permalink)

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland

it's like when i touch the pedal, i can feel a hesitation that feels very grindy/vibrationy of the cable (maybe). i can feel it only in the pedal when it is running.
Unread 05-15-2010   #5 (permalink)
k20to5.0 is offline PONY Member

k20to5.0's Country Flag
Lusby   Maryland
k20to5.0 is on a distinguished road

I just had something similar with mine, but there was a sound with it. I could hear it making a noise when I pushed in the pedal.

I went and moved the cable around a little and it quit. You may try lubricating the cable also.

Edelbrock performer upper and Lower intake,GT40P Heads, Trick flow stage 1 cam, 1.7 rr, BBK Fenderwell CAI, 75mm TB, BBK Lontubes, O/R H Pipe, Flowmaster Catback, 373s, MM SBCs.
Unread 05-16-2010   #6 (permalink)

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland

where should i lubricate the cable? i removed the cable and routed it where i think is correct, and it got a little bit better, but it still has that funny feeling. it feels like it's binding when i even touch the pedal?
Unread 05-16-2010   #7 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

You can lube the cable by taking it out and putting a little lube in between the cable and sheath, but if its new its not likely to help. Do you have the cable attached to the bolt that mounts under the hood in the left front? Have you checked for binding? If it only does it when it running it makes me think there may be a problem with the throwout bearing or the pressure plate. Good luck.
Unread 05-20-2010   #8 (permalink)

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland

well after studying the problem and trying to re-rout the cable correctly, i think i have it routed almost correctly. there used to be a lot of play in the cable above the engine. it looped upwards and bent down hard, and went near where the steering rack is, and made a hard turn over to the tranny. now it's pretty much a straight shot to the tranny, with no big loop in the cable. it definitely acts better than before, but the same vibration/binding is still there a little.

when i touch the pedal, it is more of a PULSATING feeling, like when i touch the pedal and sloooowly push it in like a milimeter at a time, i can almost feel something rotating or pulsating.

i also feel some binding at the end of pushing the pedal IN.

should i try a new cable? adjusting it? or do i need a new clutch?

and at idle, there is rapid squeek squeek squeek.

also, there is a weird metallicy, faint crunching noise when engaging the clutch in first from a stop. i don't hear it when going into 3rd or 2nd. it's like the clutch isn't catching it enough or something?
Unread 05-20-2010   #9 (permalink)
.boB is offline Made Member

Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

.boB's Country Flag  View .boB's 9 photos
Colorado Springs   Colorado
.boB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjp View Post
well after studying the problem and trying to re-rout the cable correctly, i think i have it routed almost correctly.

when i touch the pedal, it is more of a PULSATING feeling, like when i touch the pedal and sloooowly push it in like a milimeter at a time, i can almost feel something rotating or pulsating.

also, there is a weird metallicy, faint crunching noise when engaging the clutch in first from a stop. i don't hear it when going into 3rd or 2nd. it's like the clutch isn't catching it enough or something?
The cable is routed correctly when it has a nice smooth loop, from firewall to clutch arm. You almost have to let it route itself.

Did you use a new Ford cable? or an Autozone special? Ford makes the best.

The sound and feel you describe actually sounds like a bad throw out bearing.
Unread 05-21-2010   #10 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

The correct routing is from the firewall forward to next to the power steering, then it loops down and back toward the tranny. There is a bracket that bolts to the frame near the power steering to hold it in place and prevent binding. It sounds like you have it in there wrong now.
Unread 05-25-2010   #11 (permalink)

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland

UPDATE

when pushing the pedal in and taking it out, it is smooth as heck again. but there is a squeeking when at idle and driving, but not with the clutch in. if i sloooowly push the pedal in an inch or two, the pedal pulsates and the squeeking starts varying and in some positions becomes pretty loud.

throw out bearing?

also, when in first and taking off from a stop, there is some metallic chatter and doesn't engage rapidly in first. it has to rev a bit and chatters some, and when i hear the chatter i take the clutch out a little extra and it kind of bogs a little bit.

is the entire clutch going bad? should i spend my next mod money on a new clutch and install?

which clutch would be the best? fidanza 2.1? RAM clutch? spec stage 1? (looking on american muscle)
Unread 05-25-2010   #12 (permalink)

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland

basically, when taking off from a stop in first it seems really laggy. when i first installed the new cable, it engaged in first in like a second and had no issue like this at all.

another sound i hear sometimes at idle is a tick tick noise
Unread 05-25-2010   #13 (permalink)
.boB is offline Made Member

Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

.boB's Country Flag  View .boB's 9 photos
Colorado Springs   Colorado
.boB is on a distinguished road

Sounds like time for a nerw clutch. I like Centerforce dual friction. I beat on them pretty hard, and they keep on going.
Unread 05-26-2010   #14 (permalink)
rjlsocomseal is offline Rookie

rjlsocomseal's Country Flag
Hampton   New York
rjlsocomseal is on a distinguished road

I would go back and make sure that your cable is routed from the firewall to the power steering bracket to the transmission. I would then make sure you lube everything from the clutch pedal to the cable. Then I would pull back on clutch pedal as this will allow the pedal to adjust itself to the right position. Then when you get the next bit of mod money for your car I would change out the clutch and while your in there you almost ALWAYS want to change the throwout bearing, in your case I would DEF change it. [Make sure when you install the throwout bearing that you grease it very well. Check the flywheel while your in there as well, make sure it's good to go. Those would be the steps I would take, hope it helped.
Unread 05-26-2010   #15 (permalink)

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

evanjp's Country Flag
Gaithersburg   Maryland

thanks guys i agree with you all, i think it's time for a new clutch. i'm thinking the spec 1 or ram or centerforce. i'm looking to get a relatively inexpensive one, but i think the ones i'm looking at are durable.

i'm probablyu going to pay for a shop to do it though, i just don't have all the necessary tools at home. is there a relatively easy way to do the install?
pretty sure you gotta take the engine out... but should i get an aluminum flywheel also or just get mine resurfaced?

and i would be getting a clutch kit, which includes a throwout and pilot bearing. good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162