Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2000 gt intake manifold hose spout broke off! please help

42K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Br_uk_cali 
#1 ·
at the back of my intake manifold on the passenger side there are two hoses. the hose that comes out of my firewall and attaches to a spout on my intake manifold broke in half. my question is, is ther a quick fix for just the shaft, or do i have to replace the whole manifold? and if i do have to change the whole manifold should i stick with the plastic looking kind i have or go aluminum?

#2 ·
There isn't an effective repair for a broken heater hose nipple. Replace the intake.

NO ONE is making all plastic intakes anymore. For new, the metal cross over is the only option.

If for some strange reason, you wanted an all plastic unit, then the salvage yard is the only option. Try car-part.com.

Dorman makes a good stock serviceable replacement. I used one on my 1997 Cougar and it worked well.

Amazon.com: 1999 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8 2V SOHC Intake Manifold: Automotive

#3 ·
The EXACT SAME THING happened to mine!!! i did a quick temporary fix to get it running. WARNING!!!! MCGUYVER IDEA!!! what i did was get some high heat PVC piping and put it in the hole in the manifold. I used high temperature glue and glued it to the inside of the manifold. Then i took the heater hose coming out to the firewall and glued it to the other end of the PVC piping. The PVC piping will hold the pressure and handle the temperature of the fluid. I drove the hell out of it for about 6 months then i replaced the manifold when i blew the motor up and did my first motor swap. Hope this helps... Again I put the Mcguyver warning on this idea. :kooky:

#6 ·
#7 ·
The aluminum crossover doesn't fix the problem he's having, which happens even on the newer intakes. Ford put plastic heater hose fittings into the back of the intakes, which over time crack and break, the aluminum crossover's on the wrong side of the engine to fix his problem.

And as far as aluminum intakes, if you go that route, be careful. The one pictured a couple posts up actually flows worse than the stock plastic intake does, and most people actually lose horsepower. Do your homework, but the best fix is to buy a genuine FRPP replacement.

#8 ·
The one pictured a couple posts up actually flows worse than the stock plastic intake does, and most people actually lose horsepower. Do your homework, but the best fix is to buy a genuine FRPP replacement.
+1 :bigthumbsup

#10 ·
Should we start a poll on what would be the BEST answer?
Choice A: Rig it with PVC pipe
Choice B: Spend some cash and replace the intake.

Aside from waiting for parts if you can't find one locally, I could probably do Choice B in the same time it would take to rig the manifold with PVC pipe, and really, you'd still be coming out ahead because you're gonna have to replace the manifold eventually if you jury-rig it with PVC pipe...

Don't half-ass it. You'll just end up stranded somewhere. Do it right the first time.

#11 ·
I just did this. Rigged it with PVC to by some time.
Intake manifold, Gaskets, Thermostate, antifreeze, miss. parts, $250.
I got the old manifold sitting on the floor. I'm going to try some things to make a fix that will be more permanant. Like tap the inside of what is left on the maniflold and adapt to heater hose.
I will let you know.

#15 ·
My Daughter took my camera to the beach last night and hasn't brought it back.
I will try to explain without pictures.
I went to National Tool store and found a 3/8 male to 3/8 male in pipe thread, The reason I got this one is because in the middle of the 2 sections was a nut (3/4 wrench). If you can't find the one with the nut in the middle You can use a 3/8 male to a 90 degree bend 3/8 female and a 3/8 male to 3/8 male nipple.
First I got rid of the small diameter broke pipe that the hose hooks to, A pliers will break off all the small plastic pipe down to the thicker pipe. Now you have a somewhat thick pipe to make threads inside. The hole is exactly 9/16 inch inside diameter. 3/8 pipe thread is 5/8 inch outside diameter. so you need to drill the 9/16 hole out to either 19/32 or 37/64ths. These drill bits are a little hard to find but they can be found. Go to Google and put in 19/32 drill bit, or go here. http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Speed-Steel-Shank-Drill/dp/B0007Q3GEY .
Very carefully drill a straight hole, I have the advantage here, the manifold I drilled was on the floor. If you have a friend get them to shop vac while your drilling.
If you got the 3/8 pipe with a nut in the middle, just hand start the pipe in the hole and then drive it in with a socket wrench. If you couldn't find the one I have and went with a 3/8 ninety and 3/8 nipple, Put the ninety on the nipple and use the ninety as a lever to screw in the nipple. After you get the nipple screwed all the way in take the ninety off and pit some Teflon tape on the male end of the nipple that's in the manifold and screw the ninety back on, get everything good and snug, you will have to buy a short section of heater hose that fits the 3/8 male end to your heater core. Get another 3/8 male to male 90 to adapt the heater hose from your manifold to the heater core easier.
Material list
3/8 pipe nipple 3 inch long
3/8 male to 3/8 female 90
19/32 or 37/64 drill bit
Teflon tape
3/8 male to 3/8 male 90
2 feet of heater hose to fit the 3/8 pipe male end
4 heater hose clamps

When ever she brings my camera back I will take pictures of the parts and what I did.

#17 ·
My Daughter took my camera to the beach last night and hasn't brought it back.
I will try to explain without pictures.
I went to National Tool store and found a 3/8 male to 3/8 male in pipe thread, The reason I got this one is because in the middle of the 2 sections was a nut (3/4 wrench). If you can't find the one with the nut in the middle You can use a 3/8 male to a 90 degree bend 3/8 female and a 3/8 male to 3/8 male nipple.
First I got rid of the small diameter broke pipe that the hose hooks to, A pliers will break off all the small plastic pipe down to the thicker pipe. Now you have a somewhat thick pipe to make threads inside. The hole is exactly 9/16 inch inside diameter. 3/8 pipe thread is 5/8 inch outside diameter. so you need to drill the 9/16 hole out to either 19/32 or 37/64ths. These drill bits are a little hard to find but they can be found. Go to Google and put in 19/32 drill bit, or go here. http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Speed-Steel-Shank-Drill/dp/B0007Q3GEY .
Very carefully drill a straight hole, I have the advantage here, the manifold I drilled was on the floor. If you have a friend get them to shop vac while your drilling.
If you got the 3/8 pipe with a nut in the middle, just hand start the pipe in the hole and then drive it in with a socket wrench. If you couldn't find the one I have and went with a 3/8 ninety and 3/8 nipple, Put the ninety on the nipple and use the ninety as a lever to screw in the nipple. After you get the nipple screwed all the way in take the ninety off and pit some Teflon tape on the male end of the nipple that's in the manifold and screw the ninety back on, get everything good and snug, you will have to buy a short section of heater hose that fits the 3/8 male end to your heater core. Get another 3/8 male to male 90 to adapt the heater hose from your manifold to the heater core easier.
Material list
3/8 pipe nipple 3 inch long
3/8 male to 3/8 female 90
19/32 or 37/64 drill bit
Teflon tape
3/8 male to 3/8 male 90
2 feet of heater hose to fit the 3/8 pipe male end
4 heater hose clamps

When ever she brings my camera back I will take pictures of the parts and what I did.
So basically you never got your camera back? lol just kidding, but if you still here and have the pics post it up please. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.