Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 08-10-2012   #1 (permalink)
newponyboy04 is offline GT Member

newponyboy04's Country Flag
Sierra Vista   Arizona
newponyboy04 is on a distinguished road
Default 01 gt with supercharger and 126k miles?

so usually people with these kind of set up runs their car pretty hard right? i was wondering if theres any life left in it? kinda want it as a daily driver. theyre asking 6.5k for it and pretty firm so is it something i should check out or at this mileage its basically dead? hoow reliable are mustangs? i know the car will basically last forever if taken car of properly but like said before those who runs supercharge tends to right it hard right? how much life do you guys think is left in it. its an auto by them way
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2012   #2 (permalink)
Jozsefsz

absolutely no way to tell by mileage and equipment. i'd suggest you have it inspected by a trusted mechanic and ask those same questions.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 08-10-2012   #3 (permalink)
metalman302 is offline MACH I Member

V6 Member
5.0L Member

metalman302's Country Flag
Phoenix   Arizona
metalman302 is on a distinguished road

I'm confused....In 24 hours you have said you want to:
-Spend 3k on performance for your avatar car
-Eventually twin turbo yours
-Buy a Cobra for a race car
-And now spend 6.5K a second car?

WTH?
Unread 08-10-2012   #4 (permalink)
SpeedKing-713 is offline GT Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

SpeedKing-713's Country Flag  View SpeedKing-713's 11 photos  View SpeedKing-713's HomePage
Houston   Texas
SpeedKing-713 is on a distinguished road

Service records, maintenance and repair history, receipts from the owner would be a good indicator. Then a car fax, put it in a lift and check for leaks, repairs, overspray. If that checks out, you could have a mechanic check the motor with a compression test. IMO its worth spending about $100 or so to have piece if mind. Oh yeah check the title too. You probably don't want a salvage. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 08-11-2012   #5 (permalink)

Sierra Vista   Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
I'm confused....In 24 hours you have said you want to:
-Spend 3k on performance for your avatar car
-Eventually twin turbo yours
-Buy a Cobra for a race car
-And now spend 6.5K a second car?

WTH?
if you read all my post i said that i only have 3k to spend because im buying a daily driver. and im looking into a cobra as a race car and the 04 gt i have now i want to be able to run with the big boys.

so basically i have 1 car right now and i want 3 cars in total and with everything done and said ill have around 3k to spend
Unread 08-11-2012   #6 (permalink)

Sierra Vista   Arizona

well the guys willing to drive 100 miles to show that everything works. so i think that if he arrives in one piece and let it park and running awhile and no leak will be a good sign right? ill probably take it into a nerby ford shop to get a deeper look.
Unread 08-11-2012   #7 (permalink)
crazycrave is offline Apprentice

4.6L Member

crazycrave's Country Flag  View crazycrave's 5 photos
Asheboro   North Carolina
crazycrave is on a distinguished road

My old work truck had around 400,000 on the engine and it's still going as my borther inlaw has it as his service truck.. it was a 5.7l gas engine so V8's are alot tougher then people think if you keep the maintenance up as i ran pretty much any oil but 10w-40 it like the most.
Unread 08-11-2012   #8 (permalink)
2Manystangs is offline Banned

4.6L Member

2Manystangs's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
2Manystangs is on a distinguished road

I have 250K miles on my Cobra, the last 4 years were with the supercharger...it's not the engine that is the concern, it's everything else that WILL fail at the post 100K mark and drive you crazy being repaired...if I was you I'd build one car at a time...I was doing two for awhile...major cash burn, was cool in the "good" economy, but until the big O gets his pink slip not so much anymore
Unread 08-11-2012   #9 (permalink)

Sierra Vista   Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
I have 250K miles on my Cobra, the last 4 years were with the supercharger...it's not the engine that is the concern, it's everything else that WILL fail at the post 100K mark and drive you crazy being repaired...if I was you I'd build one car at a time...I was doing two for awhile...major cash burn, was cool in the "good" economy, but until the big O gets his pink slip not so much anymore
how much do these parts usually cost to fix? i dont want to have to basically replace everything but the engine and the body lol
Unread 08-11-2012   #10 (permalink)
SoCal2V is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

So if I'm following along correctly, in your 3 car plan (quite ambitious I must say) the car in question is to be your d/d? It may very well be a good car, but for d/d I would recommend something a little closer to stock. Modded cars are obviously more fun, but with them (and especially power adder cars) comes a little less reliability in the way of having to constantly tinker with crap to keep it running right. A bone stock, or maybe just a few bolt ons car you can just get in and drive the sh!t out of it and do nothing but put gas in the tank.

But it is your money and whatever, so if you're still truly interested I would have the car looked over by a mechanic of your choosing for any signs of neglect or abuse, and in particular have a compression test performed.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Unread 08-11-2012   #11 (permalink)
Quan Cheese is offline GT Member

4.6L Member

Quan Cheese's Country Flag
Chester County   Pennsylvania
Quan Cheese is on a distinguished road

I wish I had a supercharged GT for 6grand....

If it runs good take it..

126k ain't much on modern day cars
Unread 08-11-2012   #12 (permalink)

Sierra Vista   Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
So if I'm following along correctly, in your 3 car plan (quite ambitious I must say) the car in question is to be your d/d? It may very well be a good car, but for d/d I would recommend something a little closer to stock. Modded cars are obviously more fun, but with them (and especially power adder cars) comes a little less reliability in the way of having to constantly tinker with crap to keep it running right. A bone stock, or maybe just a few bolt ons car you can just get in and drive the sh!t out of it and do nothing but put gas in the tank.

But it is your money and whatever, so if you're still truly interested I would have the car looked over by a mechanic of your choosing for any signs of neglect or abuse, and in particular have a compression test performed.
you hit the nail on the head with that. thats why i was worrying about how long these guys last. a supercharged would be fun to be as a dd and as you said it isnt as reliable but a supercharged one for 6.5k sounds like a good deal to me lol if anything i cant use the s/c for my 04 gt and get it reversed to stock right? or is there something im missing?
Unread 08-11-2012   #13 (permalink)

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by newponyboy04 View Post
you hit the nail on the head with that. thats why i was worrying about how long these guys last. a supercharged would be fun to be as a dd and as you said it isnt as reliable but a supercharged one for 6.5k sounds like a good deal to me lol if anything i cant use the s/c for my 04 gt and get it reversed to stock right? or is there something im missing?
On paper anyway it does seem like a good deal. Go check the car out, have your mechanic check it out and go from there. Ask plenty of questions too; try to get a complete mod list.... Important would be mods as they apply to the s/c, like fuel system upgrades. Find out where the car was tuned, ask for the dyno sheet. Ask how long the blower has been installed; a high mileage s/c may need to be rebuilt soon which is not particularly expensive to do but would be good to know. If the seller is hesitant to provide answers or doesn't know much about his car or seems like it was built half assed then walk. If I were considering a modded car such as this I would want to know everything about it that I could as far as what parts are on it.

2001 GT Convertible

1967 Coupe

Unread 08-11-2012   #14 (permalink)

Sierra Vista   Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
On paper anyway it does seem like a good deal. Go check the car out, have your mechanic check it out and go from there. Ask plenty of questions too; try to get a complete mod list.... Important would be mods as they apply to the s/c, like fuel system upgrades. Find out where the car was tuned, ask for the dyno sheet. Ask how long the blower has been installed; a high mileage s/c may need to be rebuilt soon which is not particularly expensive to do but would be good to know. If the seller is hesitant to provide answers or doesn't know much about his car or seems like it was built half assed then walk. If I were considering a modded car such as this I would want to know everything about it that I could as far as what parts are on it.
yea i plan to ask as much as i can and take it to a local ford. if needed i might even get a second dealership to check it out. he seems pretty confident in his car since he's willing to drive 100 miles without any question. from the picture the paint looks really good so it seems to be well kept. but if everything is in order will it be a good dd? i understand the minor things will need to be fix and im willing to do that. what im scare is that if i get it ill be paying 6.5k for just a body lol
Unread 08-11-2012   #15 (permalink)

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by newponyboy04 View Post
yea i plan to ask as much as i can and take it to a local ford. if needed i might even get a second dealership to check it out. he seems pretty confident in his car since he's willing to drive 100 miles without any question. from the picture the paint looks really good so it seems to be well kept. but if everything is in order will it be a good dd? i understand the minor things will need to be fix and im willing to do that. what im scare is that if i get it ill be paying 6.5k for just a body lol
As far as it being good for d/d, that car might be just fine. But for me personally I would, as previously stated prefer a car with less or no mods to it for that purpose. Less mods = less stuff to worry about going wrong with it. Put gas in it, change the oil once in a while and wash it occasionally is all I want to have to deal with for a daily car.

2001 GT Convertible

1967 Coupe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162