Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 10-04-2012   #1 (permalink)
DJAlsip is online now GT Member

4.6L Member

DJAlsip's Country Flag  View DJAlsip's 10 photos
Langevåg
DJAlsip is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump not Priming

Hey guys, it's been a while! As some of you know, I recently moved back to Norway. I left my Mustang standing in the garage at our house here, and now, four months later, I'm back here on vacation. My goal was to sell my Mustang within the time period we're here, as we might be selling our house, resulting in me not having anywhere to store my Mustang.

Before I start; we have checked all the fuses and relays, they all work fine. We have also checked the fuel pump inertia switch, which is good to go.

The battery is almost dead, but I have tried jump starting my car to get it running. The battery is charging, and the car turns over, but it doesn't fire. The first tries it did fire at an uneven rate, which has turned out to only be leftover fuel in the fuel lines. There is fuel in the tank; however, it has been under half full. We have tried starting the car by spraying some starter spray into the intake, with the success that the engine fired up, but shut right down. Now we know that the spark plugs are good, so we unhooked one of the fuel injectors and tested the voltage, and they are getting power. We proceeded to unhook the main fuel line going into the fuel rails as we were getting more and more certain that the engine is not getting any fuel at all. Not even a single drop came out of the line.

My father and I have researched some, and we have concluded that either the fuel pump is bad, or either the FPDM (Fuel Pump Drive Module) or Fuel Pump Relay (which is part of the CCRM). Tomorrow I will test the different wires with a multimeter to see if the fuel pump and FPDM get's any power at all.

Now, my question is, what do you guys think? Replacing the fuel pump will be on h*ll of a job to do, especially now that I am here on vacation, and there is no way in h*ll that I am paying someone to do it for me either. I am hoping it's either a bad FPDM or a problem with the CCRM, which would be the easier to fix of the three. Has anybody else had any similar problems? Does anyone have some good instructions on how to lower the gas tank to remove and replace the fuel pump? I know roughly how to do it, but some good instructions would help speed up the process.

Thank you guys, and sorry for the long post, I just like to be thorough.
Styling: Mach 1 Chin Spoiler & Grille Delete Kit, Spec-D Halo Projector Headlights, Sequential Tail Lights, 8" Black Antenna.
Audio: Pioneer DEH-X8500BH Receiver, Kicker CS68 Speakers (4x 225w).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2012   #2 (permalink)
fordman777 is online now GT Member

fordman777's Country Flag  View fordman777's 9 photos
Oliver Springs   Tennessee
fordman777 is on a distinguished road

When you turn the key before starting do you hear the pump hum? If not then the pump is either not getting power or it is bad. Dropping the tank isn't bad I personally think the quick disconnect fittings are more of a pain then anything unless you have a bunch of gas in the tank. If so then you gotta worry about it sloshing out of the fill neck hole. Also if you drop the tank buy a new filler neck grommet from latemodel or somewhere else. I would find out if the pump is getting power or even working first. If you have to drop the tank it's honestly not that bad. I dropped mine to put a walbro 255lph pump in and it took a little modifying and still wasn't a problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 10-05-2012   #3 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Langevåg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman777 View Post
When you turn the key before starting do you hear the pump hum? If not then the pump is either not getting power or it is bad. Dropping the tank isn't bad I personally think the quick disconnect fittings are more of a pain then anything unless you have a bunch of gas in the tank. If so then you gotta worry about it sloshing out of the fill neck hole. Also if you drop the tank buy a new filler neck grommet from latemodel or somewhere else. I would find out if the pump is getting power or even working first. If you have to drop the tank it's honestly not that bad. I dropped mine to put a walbro 255lph pump in and it took a little modifying and still wasn't a problem.
Thanks for the reply.

I have around a gallon or so in the tank right now. I don't hear the pump humming when I turn on the ignition, so it's not priming like it should. I really just hope it's an electrical problem. I don't have time to order parts and wait for them to arrive. I need to get it sold within 11 days, and I need something I'll be able to fix ASAP. I really don't have any money to spend either, which doesn't make things easier for me. I wish I could keep the car, but I'll have nowhere to keep it if we end up selling the house.
Styling: Mach 1 Chin Spoiler & Grille Delete Kit, Spec-D Halo Projector Headlights, Sequential Tail Lights, 8" Black Antenna.
Unread 10-05-2012   #4 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Langevåg

I know it's possible, but I just find it hard to believe that the fuel pump is the one part to go bad after less than 4 months in non-operation. A gummed up fuel filter, injectors with bad fuel restricting flow, or maybe a bad fuse would be more what I had expected. There are so many snow birds here that leave their cars (both old and new) for more than 6 months at a time without even disconnecting the battery, and they fire right up. It makes no sense to me right now. :/
Unread 10-05-2012   #5 (permalink)
SoCal2V is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

You said you checked the inertia switch.... Does that mean you confirmed voltage there or that the button is pushed in?

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Unread 10-05-2012   #6 (permalink)
wmburns is offline BOSS Member

wmburns's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
wmburns is on a distinguished road

+1 above. If time is important, then don't guess, TEST.

Confirm there is +12 volts coming into the IFS switch with the key on. Be sure to make good contact with the tester.

If no voltage, the problem is a fuse, CCRM, ignition switch, or wiring.

IMO, FPDM don't fail nearly as often as ppl think. Before replacing a FPDM, run the fuel pump directly from 12 volts. There's a round plug right in the middle of the gas tank. It can be seen from below near the bumper. It's an easy spot to power the fuel pump directly and will rule out/in a bad fuel pump.

The wire colors are RD/BK and BN/PK.
Unread 10-05-2012   #7 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Langevåg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
You said you checked the inertia switch.... Does that mean you confirmed voltage there or that the button is pushed in?
At the time it was confirmed that it was pushed in. I have now tested both the inertia switch and the FPDM. Both work fine. The gas tank is dropped, tomorrow a friend and I are going out to look for a used fuel pump at some local junk yards. If all goes well, the pump will be installed and the car running again by tomorrow night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
+1 above. If time is important, then don't guess, TEST.

Confirm there is +12 volts coming into the IFS switch with the key on. Be sure to make good contact with the tester.

If no voltage, the problem is a fuse, CCRM, ignition switch, or wiring.

IMO, FPDM don't fail nearly as often as ppl think. Before replacing a FPDM, run the fuel pump directly from 12 volts. There's a round plug right in the middle of the gas tank. It can be seen from below near the bumper. It's an easy spot to power the fuel pump directly and will rule out/in a bad fuel pump.

The wire colors are RD/BK and BN/PK.
Thank you for the information! I did some more research last night and stumbled upon some wiring diagrams for the CCRM, IFS, FPDM, and Fuel Pump. I got all the electronics tested, +12 volts on all the hot wires.
Unread 10-07-2012   #8 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Langevåg

Update:

I ended up just buying a new pump at AutoZone, rather than driving around for hours looking for a pump that might not even work. Put the brand new pump in, mounted the gas tank, jump-started the car, and it worked just fine! I primed it five or six times before I turned it on, just to build up the fuel pressure. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood, it run's like a new car! Thanks for the help and info guys, appreciate it. Now I'm off to sell my baby...
Unread 10-07-2012   #9 (permalink)
SoCal2V is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

That's really strange it would just quit from being parked a few months, but glad you got it figured out without much headache.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Unread 10-07-2012   #10 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Langevåg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
That's really strange it would just quit from being parked a few months, but glad you got it figured out without much headache.
That's why I was baffled, otherwise I would just have fixed it without posting this. About $240 I didn't want to spend, but oh well, better to sell a working car than to get nothing for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
ccrm, fpdm, fuel, fuel pump, fuel tank

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162