Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.


Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-05-2012   #1 (permalink)
Dubwhat is offline PONY Member


Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 425 Threads: 46
 Dubwhat's Country Flag
Casper   Wyoming
Dubwhat is on a distinguished road
Default 98 GT, Differential Woes

So, I got that new differential from the east coast, got the gears / bearings from American Muscle.

Took them down to the shop, and a few days later I go to take my car in to get the rear put in.

He shows me the clutch plates from the differential. The ClutchPacks them selves are broken. He said if I woulda put this in my car, I'd be looking at buying a new differential.

Then he tells me the bearings kit that AmericanMuscle sent me are actually the wrong bearings all together.

I hope American Muscle will refund the cash on them if I send them back, and that I get those jokers to sold me the rear end to actually fix the issue or refund some money.

anyone had similar issues?
Dubwhat is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 12-05-2012   #2 (permalink)
AMShaneLesky is offline Site Sponsor


Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,450 Threads: 13
 AMShaneLesky's Country Flag  View AMShaneLesky's HomePage
Malvern,   Pennsylvania
AMShaneLesky is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubwhat View Post
So, I got that new differential from the east coast, got the gears / bearings from American Muscle.

Took them down to the shop, and a few days later I go to take my car in to get the rear put in.

He shows me the clutch plates from the differential. The ClutchPacks them selves are broken. He said if I woulda put this in my car, I'd be looking at buying a new differential.

Then he tells me the bearings kit that AmericanMuscle sent me are actually the wrong bearings all together.

I hope American Muscle will refund the cash on them if I send them back, and that I get those jokers to sold me the rear end to actually fix the issue or refund some money.

anyone had similar issues?

Dubwhat,

I'm really sorry you received the wrong bearing it from us! That's pretty unusual for us to mix up bearing kits since your have a GT with an 8.8 rear. Either way, I can definitely get you taken car of.

What I can do is setup an exchange for the correct bearing kit or a full refund. Choice is yours! Whatever you choose, send me over your order number via PM. Then we'll get things rolling from there.

Again, sorry for any inconveniences this may cause you!

Shane
__________________
Shane Lesky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012   #3 (permalink)
Dubwhat is offline PONY Member


Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 425 Threads: 46
 Dubwhat's Country Flag
Casper   Wyoming
Dubwhat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Dubwhat,

I'm really sorry you received the wrong bearing it from us! That's pretty unusual for us to mix up bearing kits since your have a GT with an 8.8 rear. Either way, I can definitely get you taken car of.

What I can do is setup an exchange for the correct bearing kit or a full refund. Choice is yours! Whatever you choose, send me over your order number via PM. Then we'll get things rolling from there.

Again, sorry for any inconveniences this may cause you!

Shane
Shane,

Your customer service blows me away. I haven't seen any issues where you folks jump to make sure the customers are happy as can be.

I emailed your support staff already and they asked what the run down was, the offered to RMA the bearings with a refund for them. If I run into any problems with that process, I will let you know. Other then that, all is well for the moment.

I can't say the same thing about the other place =\

Thanks a ton tho!
Dubwhat is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012   #4 (permalink)
SoCal2V is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,747 Threads: 15
 SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, looks like the usual treatment from AM

The guy who sold you the rear, well it's anybody's guess but mine is (and this is assuming you got from a private seller and not a legit business) is they already have your money, will invoke the "as-is" clause, and tell you to kick rocks. If it's a legit business then maybe they'll meet you halfway or something. Best of luck there...

What's up with the bearings, were they for the 7.5" V6 rearend?

You can just get a diff rebuild kit w/ new clutch packs and be good, yeah? Those aren't terribly expensive. When I did gears, I ended up buying a brand new diff; when they got it all apart, the spider gears on the original were littered with stress fractures and was only matter of time before it took a shiz. My only regret about the whole ordeal is that I was too giddy to get the gears in and didn't take a little extra time to save up and get 31 spline axles and diff so I could just call it done and over with in one shot.
__________________

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
SoCal2V is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012   #5 (permalink)
Dubwhat is offline PONY Member


Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 425 Threads: 46
 Dubwhat's Country Flag
Casper   Wyoming
Dubwhat is on a distinguished road
Default

Ugh. Its a business that sold me the parts.

MPS AutoSalvage.

The rear was 500$ and the shipping was 230 or so.

The kit to repair what is ****** up is 183$ plus labor.

I called them and told them of the issue. They state that they will send me another tlok carrier and two used axels to replace the stuff. I asked for a partial refund, and they never called back.

They have until tomorrow or then I will just dispute the paypal =\
Dubwhat is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012   #6 (permalink)
Dubwhat is offline PONY Member


Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 425 Threads: 46
 Dubwhat's Country Flag
Casper   Wyoming
Dubwhat is on a distinguished road
Default

Here are pics of the clutch discs

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...65454781_n.jpg

You can see the broken spot where the tabs should be.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...72729122_n.jpg

Another picture

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...09846805_o.jpg

Two of the tabs from the discs, as well as two that went through the gears. The listing for this rear said they open and inspect. Well, if they opened and inspected, we wouldn't be pulling these tabs out of the differential.
Dubwhat is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012   #7 (permalink)
AMShaneLesky is offline Site Sponsor


Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,450 Threads: 13
 AMShaneLesky's Country Flag  View AMShaneLesky's HomePage
Malvern,   Pennsylvania
AMShaneLesky is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubwhat View Post
Shane,

Your customer service blows me away. I haven't seen any issues where you folks jump to make sure the customers are happy as can be.

I emailed your support staff already and they asked what the run down was, the offered to RMA the bearings with a refund for them. If I run into any problems with that process, I will let you know. Other then that, all is well for the moment.

I can't say the same thing about the other place =\

Thanks a ton tho!

Thanks for your kind words and support, I really appreciate it!

I'm also glad our Customer Service Reps are taking care of you now. As you already know, if you run into any bumps in the road- just give me a shout!

Shane
__________________
Shane Lesky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012   #8 (permalink)
SoCal2V is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,747 Threads: 15
 SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubwhat View Post
Here are pics of the clutch discs

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...65454781_n.jpg

You can see the broken spot where the tabs should be.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...72729122_n.jpg

Another picture

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...09846805_o.jpg

Two of the tabs from the discs, as well as two that went through the gears. The listing for this rear said they open and inspect. Well, if they opened and inspected, we wouldn't be pulling these tabs out of the differential.
Yup, that's about as fked as it gets.

Just to play Devil's Advocate though, "open and inspect" in this case would probably consist of removing the diff cover, looking at the clearly visible ring gear and seeing it's condition, and then buttoning it all back up. The issue with the clutch plates would require disassembly of the rearend and differential carrier in order to discover. I've not dealt with MPS before, but it is my understanding that they are reasonable people. Unfortunately though this is the risk one takes when purchasing used "as-is" parts like this; hopefully MPS will find a reasonable way to make this right for you.
__________________

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
SoCal2V is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012   #9 (permalink)
Dubwhat is offline PONY Member


Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 425 Threads: 46
 Dubwhat's Country Flag
Casper   Wyoming
Dubwhat is on a distinguished road
Default

You've heard of them before SoCal?

Hrmf.

Naw, the guy said that when he opened it up, the tabs and munched stuff fell out. So even if they opened it up, they would have seen those pieces sitting in the bottom of the differential.

Regardless, if I woulda drove it like that, it would have been BAD news. Then again, If I would have sent them the gears like I was originally was gonna do, they would have found this problem long before and fixed it, Or I woulda hoped.

Now my rear has new gears and new clutch packs. I haven't picked it up yet tho. I hope its nice and burley when I get it.

I did finally get MPS to agree to refunding me 100$. This made the rear end 400$ plus shipping. They wanted to send me axels too, tho they were in good enough shape to actually use.

The other thing they asked me about, so there is C clips to hold the axels in, inside the differential right? Well...they pulled three of them out when there should have only been two. Quite odd I must say.

But as you said, if they just unbuttoned it and looked in, then put it all back together, it might be like that.
Dubwhat is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162