Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-24-2013   #1 (permalink)
StarkGT is offline Apprentice

StarkGT's Country Flag  View StarkGT's 8 photos
Anaheim   California
StarkGT is on a distinguished road
Default Shocks and Struts Question for a lowered car

My car was already lowered when I purchased it and it gets real bouncy when I even hit or run over the smallest bumps on the road.. I was wondering if i replaced my stock shocks and struts, will it make the ride smoother? I'm looking at these two items because mainly I'm on a budget for now.

KYB GR-2/Excel-G Rear Shock (94-04 GT, V6, Mach 1; 94-98 Cobra) 344433 - Free Shipping! $49.99

KYB GR-2/Excel-G Front Strut (94-04 All) 235060 - Free Shipping! $69.99
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2013   #2 (permalink)
AMDanBailer is offline Site Sponsor

AMDanBailer's Country Flag  View AMDanBailer's HomePage
Malvern   Pennsylvania
AMDanBailer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkGT View Post
My car was already lowered when I purchased it and it gets real bouncy when I even hit or run over the smallest bumps on the road.. I was wondering if i replaced my stock shocks and struts, will it make the ride smoother? I'm looking at these two items because mainly I'm on a budget for now.

KYB GR-2/Excel-G Rear Shock (94-04 GT, V6, Mach 1; 94-98 Cobra) 344433 - Free Shipping! $49.99

KYB GR-2/Excel-G Front Strut (94-04 All) 235060 - Free Shipping! $69.99
Yes, definitely! If the previous owner installed lowering springs on the stock Shocks and Struts, it's really common for them to blow out over a few thousand miles. Mainly because your stock Shocks and Struts are set up to handle the stock Spring rate. When throwing a much lower and more aggressive Spring in there, it will eventually blow them out! To me, it sounds like this is what you're experiencing.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-24-2013   #3 (permalink)
SoCal2V is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

New shocks/struts will.definitely help your problem. I know nothing about those KYB's you listed, but at that price it's probably safe to assume that you get what you pay for, just as with almost everything else in Mustangs and life. But, I'm sure they are way better than the blown out shocks you currently have, so go for it. If anything, they will make it ride better for the time being, and basically buy you a year or two before having to shell out $400-600 on a good set.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Unread 01-24-2013   #4 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

Dampers will definitely help with you ride quality, but I would recommend Tokico's for your car over KYB's, they have better ride quality. Do you know which springs are installed or how much lower it is than stock? Tokico's seem to do a better job handling aggressive springs IMO without giving up ride quality.
Unread 01-25-2013   #5 (permalink)
taekeen is offline Rookie

taekeen's Country Flag
Nashville   Tennessee
taekeen is on a distinguished road

how low is the car from stock............regardless of what dampener you go with, if the car is too low. It will just bounce off of the bump stop on any dampener. In turn giving the car a "Low rider" feel instead of a curve carving machine that it was meant to be.

Most half a$$ed lowering jobs are "botched" from the word go. I would suggest checking out what all was used to lower the car and go from there.
Unread 01-25-2013   #6 (permalink)

Anaheim   California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
New shocks/struts will.definitely help your problem. I know nothing about those KYB's you listed, but at that price it's probably safe to assume that you get what you pay for, just as with almost everything else in Mustangs and life. But, I'm sure they are way better than the blown out shocks you currently have, so go for it. If anything, they will make it ride better for the time being, and basically buy you a year or two before having to shell out $400-600 on a good set.
i want to get those $600 sets but i'm kind of on a budget right now.. a year or 2 is good. i can save up and get better equipments.
Unread 01-25-2013   #7 (permalink)

Anaheim   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Yes, definitely! If the previous owner installed lowering springs on the stock Shocks and Struts, it's really common for them to blow out over a few thousand miles. Mainly because your stock Shocks and Struts are set up to handle the stock Spring rate. When throwing a much lower and more aggressive Spring in there, it will eventually blow them out! To me, it sounds like this is what you're experiencing.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
what do you think about those equipment i listed to replace the stock shocks and struts? are they gonna be good or at least make a difference on the smootheness of driving? like not making me fly off my seat everytime i run over a small bump on the freeway lol:laughlitt
Unread 01-25-2013   #8 (permalink)

Anaheim   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
Dampers will definitely help with you ride quality, but I would recommend Tokico's for your car over KYB's, they have better ride quality. Do you know which springs are installed or how much lower it is than stock? Tokico's seem to do a better job handling aggressive springs IMO without giving up ride quality.
i'm actually going to my mechanic tomorrow for an oil change and some engine check ups. i'm going to check it out and go from there. I'm looking at the KYB's coz I'm really on a budget and maybe it will be good for a year or two. til then i can save up for those $600 Tokico set
Unread 01-25-2013   #9 (permalink)

Anaheim   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by taekeen View Post
how low is the car from stock............regardless of what dampener you go with, if the car is too low. It will just bounce off of the bump stop on any dampener. In turn giving the car a "Low rider" feel instead of a curve carving machine that it was meant to be.

Most half a$$ed lowering jobs are "botched" from the word go. I would suggest checking out what all was used to lower the car and go from there.

I'm actually not sure, I'm going to post a picture tomorrow and put something like an iPhone standing up from the ground to show comparison to a stock height stang.
Unread 01-25-2013   #10 (permalink)

Anaheim   California

btw thanks to all your replies.. they're all really helpful for a car noob/amateur like me.
Unread 01-25-2013   #11 (permalink)
2Manystangs is offline Banned

4.6L Member

2Manystangs's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
2Manystangs is on a distinguished road

tires play a big role in ride quality...if you have worn out low profile tires...yeah it's rough, so take note accordingly
Unread 01-25-2013   #12 (permalink)
misweetrevenge is offline PONY Member

misweetrevenge's Country Flag  View misweetrevenge's 25 photos
Fremont   California
misweetrevenge is on a distinguished road

I second the Tokico's. I had them on the 97 GT I had a few years back with the Eibach springs and sway bars. I loved them but then again I love the windy roads. They were slightly stiff for a DD but not unbearable by any means.

1999 Cobra Vert.
K&N Drop In Filter
JBA O/R H (waiting to be installed)
MagnaFlow Catback (used to have Flowmaster)
Tuned By BAMA with SCT SF3/X3
Unread 01-26-2013   #13 (permalink)

Anaheim   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
tires play a big role in ride quality...if you have worn out low profile tires...yeah it's rough, so take note accordingly
when i got the car, the first thing i changed on it were the tires so they're pretty brand new with the stock rims.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...02322489_n.jpg
Unread 01-26-2013   #14 (permalink)

Anaheim   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by misweetrevenge View Post
I second the Tokico's. I had them on the 97 GT I had a few years back with the Eibach springs and sway bars. I loved them but then again I love the windy roads. They were slightly stiff for a DD but not unbearable by any means.
i wanna get em but $600 is out of my budget right now so i have to either deal with this bouncy ass hurting problem or get the cheap KYB shocks and struts
Unread 01-26-2013   #15 (permalink)
SoCal2V is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

Just looked at that pic, your car especially the front end looks slammed. It does look mean as hell like that though.

I would check to see what springs are on there, and if the isolators are there or not. My car is on Sportlines which are about the most drop of any aftermarket springs out there and I still have a solid 2-2.5" gap between the fender and tire; it looks like you have way less than that. I'm thinking your car probably has cut stock springs, which aren't a bad way of doing it if you're on a budget, but the previous owner cut them too short. If that's the case, I think the best starting point for a real fix to this is new springs.

You'll still need new shocks and struts too since it's safe to assume the current ones are done, but as long as it's that low it's probably still gonna ride like crap.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
lowered, shocks, struts

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162