Neutral Safety Switch - Car Won't Start - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Neutral Safety Switch - Car Won't Start

Hi guys, my 97 4.6L manual is not starting. The car is (unfortunately) at midas right now, and they say they need to replace the neutral switch for $300.

Ridiculous labor charge aside, does this sound right? I've been looking up the clutch switches for mustangs and all I find is info telling me that after '94 only the 3.8l has the clutch safety switch

Is this switch just the push button under the clutch pedal that would be replaced?? does any wiring have to be taken care of as well?

I dont really get it, because in my mitsubishi eclipse, I disabled the clutch safety switch so I can start my car w/o putting the clutch in. Why couldn't i just do this in the mustang and not have to replace the switch..... or is it a lot more complicated than that....i.e. wiring?

thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008
Apprentice

The clutch position switch is right above the clutch pedal and all it does is completes a circuit to your ignition in order for you to start your car. I wouldn't pay $300 for a little switch you could put on yourself or bypass!!!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008
Rookie
4.6L Member

Sounds like Midas might be trying to extort a little extra CASH from you. I'd tell them to push it out in the parking lot and you'll come and get it. Then, do some basic trouble shooting and find out if it really is a bad switch. $300 for a little switch sounds like a SCAM, especiallyu when it's easy to get to! Was the car running when you dropped it off there?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008
Rookie
4.6L Member

I replaced my neutral safety switch on my '96 GT about a week ago and let me tell you, $300 is a complete scam. I found my switch on latemodelrestoration.com for $31 or something like that plus $15 shipping. If you really want to do the switch then have at it, but after taking the seat out of mine and working for a couple hours under the dash, I was able to get the switch on and the car still didn't start.

My problem was the starter. There's two connectors on your starter, one black cable and one red cable. The black connector on mine looked like it had been hot and corroded away and was just hanging on by a thread. After about 15 minutes of work, I spliced the connector and put a new female connector on and it hasn't been parked since!

Sooo long story short, my best advice is to take a look at the starter and the cables. If those all look fine then I would just go online and get the neutral safety switch and do it myself and save a couple hundred bucks!

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008
RandyStinchcomb

1st thing is toget your car to a dealer, it may cost more but the job will be done right...2nd is your car does NOT even have a netural saftey switch, Ford has NOT even used a netural saftey switch in cars or trucks in @15 years....a manual trans car does have a "clutch switch" which is under the dash and as I've posted before, I can't remember the last time I sold one for a Mustang
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008
PONY Member

I know my 02 has had the start relay go bad. May want to check that.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009
Rookie

is it the same as a 1983 mustang gt with a 4 speed? i dont know if its a switch or if its a starter, just installd a new alt and batt so i dont know what els to do to get it to fire...

i dont know if this will help anyone but here it is

Fox Mustang Restoration :: Products

Last edited by jwmiller0606; 08-08-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: 83 not 93
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012
Rookie

Neutral Safety Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyStinchcomb View Post
1st thing is toget your car to a dealer, it may cost more but the job will be done right...2nd is your car does NOT even have a netural saftey switch, Ford has NOT even used a netural saftey switch in cars or trucks in @15 years....a manual trans car does have a "clutch switch" which is under the dash and as I've posted before, I can't remember the last time I sold one for a Mustang
Ford definitely does use a "Neutral Safety Switch". It is part of the DTR - Digital Transmission Range Sensor. FORD even refers to this part as the "neutral safety switch" or "the DTR".
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012
Rookie

Midas!?!??!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyLebanon View Post
Hi guys, my 97 4.6L manual is not starting. The car is (unfortunately) at midas right now, and they say they need to replace the neutral switch for $300.

Ridiculous labor charge aside, does this sound right? I've been looking up the clutch switches for mustangs and all I find is info telling me that after '94 only the 3.8l has the clutch safety switch

Is this switch just the push button under the clutch pedal that would be replaced?? does any wiring have to be taken care of as well?

I dont really get it, because in my mitsubishi eclipse, I disabled the clutch safety switch so I can start my car w/o putting the clutch in. Why couldn't i just do this in the mustang and not have to replace the switch..... or is it a lot more complicated than that....i.e. wiring?

thanks for any input
I've been to MIDAS only ONCE in my lifetime. They gave me a quote for new exhaust for a 4x4 F-150. The guy just blurted out a price for each part and gave me a total of about $900. That was for replacing the original single exhaust with dual exhaust. I asked him to give me that quote in writing because I thought it was hilarious. He went to an adding machine and it took him four tries to get the amount that he quoted.

Can you guess his reason for the extremely overpriced exhaust??? He told me that my 1983 F-150 4x4 302 was a "four wheel drive engine" and that it needed "four wheel drive catalytic converters" instead of standard ones. I was in shock and amused at the same time. He was the manager. I've never been back and I will never again go to any Midas location.
Rookie

2001 Safety Switch - Bypass

I have a 2001 Mustang Cobra SVT. I too have to put the clutch in to start it. Is there a method to bypass or remove this?
Really like to start without pushing the clutch in.

Cheers fellas.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02CBRA View Post
I have a 2001 Mustang Cobra SVT. I too have to put the clutch in to start it. Is there a method to bypass or remove this?
Really like to start without pushing the clutch in.
Do you really need a post to figure out HOW to bypass the clutch starter safety? Let's think though this and see if you can figure this out on your own.................

If you need a hint it involves a jumper.

But if you do this mod, you have been warned.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
Do you really need a post to figure out HOW to bypass the clutch starter safety? Let's think though this and see if you can figure this out on your own.................

If you need a hint it involves a jumper.

But if you do this mod, you have been warned.

Geez, great start for a new member. Its a valid question mate. I am new to Mustangs and I do NOT know about this part. Our cars in Australia don't have them. Sorry for bloody asking.
Maybe someone else can help me out with this.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Switch should be two wires, located near the top of the clutch pedal lever. When the pedal is pushed in, the connection is made between the two wires ("closed" switch) and when the pedal is released the connection is interrupted ("open").

In order to bypass the switch, basically once you locate it and confirm it's operation you would just cut the wires off of it, strip them and twist the ends together. It would then be "closed" at all times.

I was not aware that cars in Australia don't use a neutral safety switch; our cars have had them since at least the 1960's, and for a pretty good reason. If it were me I would leave the switch alone; it may be fine for you but if somebody else who may be unfamiliar with your car goes and try to start it while in gear then that's obviously gonna be a problem.

Throw up some pics of your car when you get a chance. Right hand drive?

2001 GT Convertible

All the usual bolt-ons
1967 Coupe
200 I6, C4
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02CBRA View Post
Geez, great start for a new member. Its a valid question mate. I am new to Mustangs and I do NOT know about this part. Our cars in Australia don't have them. Sorry for bloody asking.
Maybe someone else can help me out with this.
There are tons of us on the forums willing to help new members out with their questions. Take a look at my post count. Over 5000 posts of highly technical responses.

However, as a reminder:
  • This is the TECH section. People here are expecting posts to stick to technical. There are other sections for less technical questions.
  • All of the information that is needed to do what you were requesting was in the previous part of the thread. It was there for the reading.
  • What you are asking help to do is blaintly unsafe. Few of us here on the forums want to be a party to such an activity.

In general, you will get out of the forums what you put into it.

More effort usually equals more help.
Low effort usually means less help.

So if you genuinely don't know how to jumper a switch, then perhaps a bit more information on the opening question would have helped. Remember. those of us out here in Internet land don't really know anything more about you and your car that what's in the post.

I'm sorry that your fist "swim" in the shark tank left you a little "dusted up". However, I promise that if you do your homework and then ask for help, you will get good high quality honest help.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
There are tons of us on the forums willing to help new members out with their questions. Take a look at my post count. Over 5000 posts of highly technical responses.

However, as a reminder:
  • This is the TECH section. People here are expecting posts to stick to technical. There are other sections for less technical questions.
  • All of the information that is needed to do what you were requesting was in the previous part of the thread. It was there for the reading.
  • What you are asking help to do is blaintly unsafe. Few of us here on the forums want to be a party to such an activity.

In general, you will get out of the forums what you put into it.

More effort usually equals more help.
Low effort usually means less help.

So if you genuinely don't know how to jumper a switch, then perhaps a bit more information on the opening question would have helped. Remember. those of us out here in Internet land don't really know anything more about you and your car that what's in the post.

I'm sorry that your fist "swim" in the shark tank left you a little "dusted up". However, I promise that if you do your homework and then ask for help, you will get good high quality honest help.

Yes mate I get your message. So you are the BIG WIG of the forum. (5000 posts.wow.)

Like I said before, I am new and 54 years old with not much experience on these things (internet stuff). God sake give me a break. And as for the "swim in the shark tank" quote, mate us Aussies are tougher than you can imagine. We know how to take jokes and love stirring the pot. I understand the "Vibe" on the website. Just give me a go mate.
I did my homework too buddy. Not too many people in Oz have this model Stang. Hence go to overseas to get my info. So I joined this site in hope of understanding my car and learning things. But thanks to you, it has been a bad start. I think you are pretty unfair.
Will sit on the fence from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Random Question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page