Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 07-04-2013   #1 (permalink)
jasoncameron is offline Rookie

jasoncameron's Country Flag
Caledonia   Michigan
jasoncameron is on a distinguished road
Default I blew up my new DSS Engine...now what?

I am just sick to my stomach. I wanted a replacement engine for my 1998 4.6L 2V GT that I bought new and had 180K on the car. I ordered a short block from DSS last year and supplied them with the PI upgrade kit and some Comp Cams 262AH bump sticks and had it professionally installed last December.
The resultant engine made 325 flywheel horsepower with 340 ft-lbs. of torque. OMG I was a happy man!
Since that time I put 10K miles on the car and drove it as my daily driver through a Michigan winter. I never race it or even redline it. Last week, on the highway doing 80 mph, the engine just stopped - like I turned the key off. There were no sounds, no warnings, and no trouble codes. There was still 5 quarts of oil in the block and no evidence of overheating.
I had a mechanic check the engine and he said that the engine had seized...he could not turn the engine over with a wrench. I talked to the guys at DSS and they suggested looking at the inside of an oil filter. I did so and found a huge amount of fine metal with the consistency of mud! That pretty much confirms that the engine is shot.
I plan on removing the engine myself and shipping it off to DSS for a thorough analysis. I am hoping that some portions of the engine are salvageable...either the heads and cams of maybe even the piston assemblies...I just hope it is not a total loss.
I am intrigued though...what do you think might have happened?
Thanks, Jason
Caledonia, Michigan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2013   #2 (permalink)
blown 02 is offline Apprentice

blown 02's Country Flag  View blown 02's 21 photos
crystal springs   Mississippi
blown 02 is on a distinguished road

If the engine just seized up, sound like the oil pump stop working. You say the short block is about a year old and you let DSS assemble it so was there any kind of warranty?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-04-2013   #3 (permalink)

Caledonia   Michigan

Yes there is a warranty but it is for a limited time/mileage. I drove the car for 10,000 miles with no problems so I am past the warranty. Maybe when DSS takes a look at it they can see what happened, and if it still might be covered. I don't have a lot of hope though.
Jason
Unread 07-04-2013   #4 (permalink)
blown 02 is offline Apprentice

blown 02's Country Flag  View blown 02's 21 photos
crystal springs   Mississippi
blown 02 is on a distinguished road

If the engine seize of then you are looking at a complete rebuilt which mean the engine is going to have to be completely disassemble. Most likely the short block is going to be machine because of the pistons seizing up. Plus new rings, bolts, gaskets and labor. If DDS does not cover anything then this can be very expensive.
Unread 07-04-2013   #5 (permalink)
fordman777 is offline GT Member

fordman777's Country Flag  View fordman777's 9 photos
Oliver Springs   Tennessee
fordman777 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about that man. Hopefully DSS will be willing to work with you on the motor. Maybe they will be able to tell you what happened. Sounds like oil pump may have went out tho. I am doing a motor swap in my 98 as soon as I get back from my deployment. What pistons was you running in the motor? Was the PI heads stock or worked? I'm just curious what all you was running to put down those numbers at the flywheel.
Unread 07-05-2013   #6 (permalink)

Caledonia   Michigan

I used a 4.6L short block from DSS, their forged piston assembly, stock PI heads, and Comp Cams 262AH camshafts. I also have a 75mm Accufab throttle body, full-length headers, and a Bassani dual exhaust witht he cats removed.
I thought the numbers were pretty nice too. The block was rated at 550 hp. The morning of the accident, I got a quote from Kenne Belle for a 2.1L supercharger. My target was 475 hp. That will have to wait now.
DSS has been awesome both with this incident and with the initial build last year. They are very knowledgable, very friendly, and great to work with. I am looking forward to dissecting the engine with them to find out what happened and to see what else I could have done to prevent it.
Jason
Unread 07-05-2013   #7 (permalink)
Hood Time is offline PONY Member

4.6L Member

Hood Time's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Hood Time is on a distinguished road

Another nightmare come true. I'm sure that was some money.
Unread 07-05-2013   #8 (permalink)
fordman777 is offline GT Member

fordman777's Country Flag  View fordman777's 9 photos
Oliver Springs   Tennessee
fordman777 is on a distinguished road

What CC pistons was you using? Well I will say that if you have the money now that it would probably be a good idea to go forged. That way when you add a power adder you have larger limitations.
Unread 07-05-2013   #9 (permalink)
SoCal2V is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

SoCal2V's Country Flag
High Desert   California
SoCal2V is on a distinguished road

Wow man that sucks. And just last night as I was daydreaming about built shortblocks it occurred to me that I had at least once heard of one of the few aftermarket builders having issues with their oil pumps, but couldn't remember who it was. Now I think I know...

Hopefully it's not a complete loss and some things can be machined back to life for ya. Keep us posted on how it all pans out and should DSS do anythimg nice or unexpected be sure to post about that as well. I understand that all warranties have limitations, but if it turns out to be something like a faulty oil pump it would be really cool of them to meet you halfway or something on resolving this. Of all of the things that could go wrong, your fault or not, there is really no good reason why an oil pump should fail especially that early into an engine's life.

2001 GT Convertible

8 cylinders, 5 gears, red.
1967 Coupe
6 cylinders, 3 gears, also red.

The devil hates a loser, and you thought you had it all.
Unread 07-05-2013   #10 (permalink)
racin366 is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

racin366's Country Flag
Pompano Beach   Florida
racin366 is on a distinguished road

That sounds like you might want to brace for a total loss. With that much metal running through there... there are probably some things that can be saved, but when it comes to assembling and warrantying the new engine the builder will probably insist on new if there is any doubt since they will have to warranty it if it fails.
Unread 07-05-2013   #11 (permalink)
jabsnap is offline Made Member

jabsnap's Country Flag
grafton   New Hampshire
jabsnap is on a distinguished road

Bummer man...I hope something can be salvaged for you. This is any Mustang owners nightmare,,keep us posted maybe we can all learn from what happened...Peace man and props to DSS for working with you...good luck!!
KB intercooled Supercharger 2.1 9 psi kit,SCT Xcal 3, Dyno Tune 423rwhp, 434rwt, SCT 2600 MAF, SVT Focus fuel pump, KB boost-a-pump, BBK cold air kit, BBK 75mm Throttle Body, BBK shorty headers, Magnaflow X-pipe,Magnaflow Cat Back, MGW short throw shifter, 3:73 Ford Racing gears
Unread 07-06-2013   #12 (permalink)

Caledonia   Michigan

Thanks guys...hey I should say that I am extremely pleased with DSS. They built me a strong engine and their customer service was awesome as well. After all, the engine ran for a long time! I feel a little guilty wondering if I did something wrong or if I missed some symptoms somewhere. I am depending on DSS to do the autopsy.
I am disappointed but if I need to replace the short block I'll put in a 5.3 or 5.4 stroker. Power is a very addiciting thing! I also will do the work myself as I have the room and (now) the experience to do the mechanical work.
Thanks for your comments! And give DSS a call.

Jason
Unread 07-06-2013   #13 (permalink)
2Manystangs is offline Banned

4.6L Member

2Manystangs's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
2Manystangs is on a distinguished road

Hey Jason there was no reason for that motor to blow up, this is pure poor engine building, assembly...few can do the mod motors correctly, I'd suspect the crank bearings were not installed properly. if you are lucky you can turn the crank and reuse everything else in a new block...
If I was you I'd sell what you have and get the Terminator, by the time you reassemble the motor, add boost and all the supporting mods you will have spent more than what the Termi costs out right

If you just have to keep the car, consider getting a whole Termi motor takeout, get the 6spd too if you can

Consider getting a "Teksid" block for your next rebuild/reassembly...being aluminum it's a great piece to have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162