Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 4.6 Mustang > 4.6L Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.


Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 08-12-2008   #16 (permalink)
RandyStinchcomb
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Jax View Post
I am so glad to be a part of this forum. Thanks for all the advice guys. Today, I will be tackling getting to those last two. I was speaking to my pops and he was saying that I should stick with similiar plugs. I decided to try the E3 this time out to see how they would perform. Anyone have any experience with those? They are pretty price so I am hoping no issues.

are those the plugs wth the 3 ground electrodes if-so they are a JOKE......go buy some Motorcrafts
all those plugs wth extra ground electrodes are just pathways for detonation, preignition and internal engine damage.... get rid of them
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 08-12-2008   #17 (permalink)
M'Jax is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13 Threads: 0
 M'Jax's Country Flag  View M'Jax's 2 photos
Raleigh   North Carolina
M'Jax is on a distinguished road
Default Awww man

Yes those are the ones. Are you serious? I don't want to go through that headache again to change them out. I take it you had a bad experience.
M'Jax is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #18 (permalink)
RandyStinchcomb
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Jax View Post
Yes those are the ones. Are you serious? I don't want to go through that headache again to change them out. I take it you had a bad experience.

no bad experience personally, I just know alittle bit about what works and what doesn't work and those multi ground sparkplugs are a no-no from a performance standpoint, it's all just a sales gimmick, nothing more...
as I stated above, all those extra ground straps are just pathways that lead to detonation/preignition, can upset proper fuel delivery to the combustion chamber and more....
my advice to you is to remove all of them and sea if you can get your $$ back and just stick wth a Motorcraft sparkplug
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #19 (permalink)
M'Jax is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13 Threads: 0
 M'Jax's Country Flag  View M'Jax's 2 photos
Raleigh   North Carolina
M'Jax is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok

I took the advice and got some new spark plug. Bosch Platinum 2. I look at my car with a frown knowing what headache I have to go through again to swap out the plugs. Thanks Mustang comrades for the help and advice.
M'Jax is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #20 (permalink)
charliesolhan is offline Made Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member


Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,213 Threads: 54
 charliesolhan's Country Flag  View charliesolhan's 14 photos  View charliesolhan's 1 classified ad
Indianapolis   Indiana
charliesolhan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Jax View Post
I took the advice and got some new spark plug. Bosch Platinum 2. I look at my car with a frown knowing what headache I have to go through again to swap out the plugs. Thanks Mustang comrades for the help and advice.
Bosch Platinum Plugs suk in our cars...your car is gonna run worse now because of them...in fords you go w/ motorcraft or nothing else...copper core plugs are the best!

sp-505's are w/ every 4.6 owner should use
__________________
1996 Gt 5spd.
pi conversion heads ported, comp cams, 24lbs injectors, pro-m mass air meter, bbk cold air, livewires, screamin deamon coils, bbk lowering springs, pro 5.0 shifter, mac lower and upper control arms, kyb front and rear shocks/struts, centerforce dual friction clutch, frp shorty headers, upper plenum ported, frp 70mm throttle body, frp 3:73 gears, straight pipes, 17x9 front by 17x10.5 rear cobra r's
310hp and 315foot pounds of torque!
charliesolhan is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #21 (permalink)
charliesolhan is offline Made Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member


Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,213 Threads: 54
 charliesolhan's Country Flag  View charliesolhan's 14 photos  View charliesolhan's 1 classified ad
Indianapolis   Indiana
charliesolhan is on a distinguished road
Default

My question is did you guys use a swival socket extension?...because that was the only way i could get at mine...as the fuel lines sit right above the plugs???
__________________
1996 Gt 5spd.
pi conversion heads ported, comp cams, 24lbs injectors, pro-m mass air meter, bbk cold air, livewires, screamin deamon coils, bbk lowering springs, pro 5.0 shifter, mac lower and upper control arms, kyb front and rear shocks/struts, centerforce dual friction clutch, frp shorty headers, upper plenum ported, frp 70mm throttle body, frp 3:73 gears, straight pipes, 17x9 front by 17x10.5 rear cobra r's
310hp and 315foot pounds of torque!
charliesolhan is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #22 (permalink)
M'Jax is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 13 Threads: 0
 M'Jax's Country Flag  View M'Jax's 2 photos
Raleigh   North Carolina
M'Jax is on a distinguished road
Default Universal Joint

Charlie -
I used a 1/4 universal joint to get off the small screw that holds the coil and then a 3/8 universal joint with an extension to get to the spark plugs. I didn't remove anything on the driver side but on the passenger side I had to remove the intake valve in order to get to two of my plugs. No removal of anything else was required. It was a bit tight to navigate through the other wires.
M'Jax is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #23 (permalink)
RandyStinchcomb
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Jax View Post
I took the advice and got some new spark plug. Bosch Platinum 2. I look at my car with a frown knowing what headache I have to go through again to swap out the plugs. Thanks Mustang comrades for the help and advice.


those are NO GOOD either
dude please listen to me stay away from those fancy platinum multi ground plugs and just get yourself some Motorcraft SP-505 and gap them at .048 to .052 and be done wth it....
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #24 (permalink)
cjhookah is offline Rookie


Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 14 Threads: 4
 cjhookah's Country Flag
largo, Fl.   Florida
cjhookah is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyStinchcomb View Post
let me clear somethings up here, most of the "sparkplug" blow-out is either due to detonation or an improper install.....no need to worrie about changing plugs if you use the right plugs and follow the correct install.....anotherthing is, do not trust the factory platinum plugs to last 100k that is total BS, unless you dive normal, like 55mph and never take the engine past 3k....if you beat on it, switch to a copper core plug 1 heat range down from stock, like a Motorcraft SP-505 (agsf-22-c) and tighten-up the gap to .048 to .052
I respectively disagree with your "Spark Plug" blow out theory, when you only have 3 threads to snug a plug on the 2V it's an obvious design flaw, Ford knows it too. Sure improper install and detonation aid in the plugs backing out BUT so do High cylinder pressure and excessive heat which has nothing to do with the person installing them, the threads on my damaged plug were completely melted smooth.
I agree that platinum plugs SUCK for Fords, for normally aspirated motors go with NGK TR-5 and for Blown go a heat range colder TR-6!
cjhookah is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #25 (permalink)
RandyStinchcomb
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhookah View Post
I respectively disagree with your "Spark Plug" blow out theory, when you only have 3 threads to snug a plug on the 2V it's an obvious design flaw, Ford knows it too. Sure improper install and detonation aid in the plugs backing out BUT so do High cylinder pressure and excessive heat which has nothing to do with the person installing them, the threads on my damaged plug were completely melted smooth.
I agree that platinum plugs SUCK for Fords, for normally aspirated motors go with NGK TR-5 and for Blown go a heat range colder TR-6!

thats fine but it's NOT theroy but FACT, yeah FoMoCo could have put more threads in the heads(and they actually did in 92/93 and on the SVO heads) but facts are, the majority of plug blow-out problems are from detonation, which is caused by many things, like exessive heat like you stated and improper install, like using the wrong plugs, not using anti-size, incorrect tq or changing the plugs wth the engine not cooled down enuff.....oh and for the record, it's 4 threads not 3....and last, NGK plugs could be part of the problem as they have an "extra" extended tip on some, which moves the ignition/spark closer to the piston in the combustion chamber, which is just like advancing the ignition timing slightly, enuff to cause detonation and blow the plugs out....I'd like to sea survay on the sparkplugs that have blown-out of the heads and sea how many were aftermarket, like NGK, I'll bet you'd be surprised at the results....

if your threads were melted over and smooth, thats from overheating the cylinder or detonation, something You should have been on top of, not Fords fault...
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008   #26 (permalink)
charliesolhan is offline Made Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member


Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,213 Threads: 54
 charliesolhan's Country Flag  View charliesolhan's 14 photos  View charliesolhan's 1 classified ad
Indianapolis   Indiana
charliesolhan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyStinchcomb View Post
thats fine but it's NOT theroy but FACT, yeah FoMoCo could have put more threads in the heads(and they actually did in 92/93 and on the SVO heads) but facts are, the majority of plug blow-out problems are from detonation, which is caused by many things, like exessive heat like you stated and improper install, like using the wrong plugs, not using anti-size, incorrect tq or changing the plugs wth the engine not cooled down enuff.....oh and for the record, it's 4 threads not 3....and last, NGK plugs could be part of the problem as they have an "extra" extended tip on some, which moves the ignition/spark closer to the piston in the combustion chamber, which is just like advancing the ignition timing slightly, enuff to cause detonation and blow the plugs out....I'd like to sea survay on the sparkplugs that have blown-out of the heads and sea how many were aftermarket, like NGK, I'll bet you'd be surprised at the results....

if your threads were melted over and smooth, thats from overheating the cylinder or detonation, something You should have been on top of, not Fords fault...
I agree 100% w/ you Randy....I would put all my money on that 99% of the problems where do to the wrong plugs used...anyone who knows ford's knows there are only two type of plugs you can use in them...they are motorcraft and autolites...any other plugs are just gonna cause problems and possibly internal engine damage...stay awat from any other plug like ngk, bosch, etc...platnium tip plugs suk a big one in our cars...stick w/ motorcraft copper core plugs...and if you have a 4.6 use the sp-505's by motorcraft...you can't go wrong...and you won't blow your engine this way by using some gimmick plug!!!
__________________
1996 Gt 5spd.
pi conversion heads ported, comp cams, 24lbs injectors, pro-m mass air meter, bbk cold air, livewires, screamin deamon coils, bbk lowering springs, pro 5.0 shifter, mac lower and upper control arms, kyb front and rear shocks/struts, centerforce dual friction clutch, frp shorty headers, upper plenum ported, frp 70mm throttle body, frp 3:73 gears, straight pipes, 17x9 front by 17x10.5 rear cobra r's
310hp and 315foot pounds of torque!
charliesolhan is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008   #27 (permalink)
cjhookah is offline Rookie


Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 14 Threads: 4
 cjhookah's Country Flag
largo, Fl.   Florida
cjhookah is on a distinguished road
Default Wow!

Let me respond to the last 2 replies, Hi Randy let me address a couple of your comments, YES the 4.6 4V(pre 03) and 2V have
4 threads BUT some of the 2V's actually only have 3, I've witnessed it personally as well as my Tuner friends that own Stang Speed shops in my area.
And The plug that backed out of my head WASN'T the NGK it was the much praised agsf 22 C's.
I guess I could have been on top of my problem if I had XRay vision to look through my valve cover to see the plug on Cylinder 7 backing out but my car wasn't misfiring til it was too late, one night when I was pulling into my street I heard a Loud popping sound in the motor so I pulled the cover of the top of the head and witnessed the Coil pack blown apart in 50 pieces, the ceramic COMPLETELY gone on the plug and the threads stripped on the Head. I'll state in again Ford knew this was a design flaw hence the 8 threads on the 03-04 Cobras, I invite you to contact the TOP Tuners in the Country and ask if they've had customers bring in Stangs with similar problems like I stated. My friends shop has seen it more times than you could imagine and simply blaming the plug as the cause of this seems strange to me? The extended Tip NGK's are the Iridium series, the TR's electrodes are the same as Auto's and Motorcafts.
tere's only 2 types of plugs you can use Randy? the Fastest Blown Mustangs in the Country use NGK TR6's and THAT'S A FACT!!
For daily drivers and mildly modified Stangs I agree the Autolites and Motorcrafts are Great But when you see the ****in Sick 800+ HP YouTube vids of Blown Stangs on the Dyno their using NGK's.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have respect for ALL my Blue Oval Guys, but I just wanted to share the problem I had and wish Everyone luck with their motors, CJ
cjhookah is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008   #28 (permalink)
RandyStinchcomb
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhookah View Post
Let me respond to the last 2 replies, Hi Randy let me address a couple of your comments, YES the 4.6 4V(pre 03) and 2V have
4 threads BUT some of the 2V's actually only have 3, I've witnessed it personally as well as my Tuner friends that own Stang Speed shops in my area.
And The plug that backed out of my head WASN'T the NGK it was the much praised agsf 22 C's.
I guess I could have been on top of my problem if I had XRay vision to look through my valve cover to see the plug on Cylinder 7 backing out but my car wasn't misfiring til it was too late, one night when I was pulling into my street I heard a Loud popping sound in the motor so I pulled the cover of the top of the head and witnessed the Coil pack blown apart in 50 pieces, the ceramic COMPLETELY gone on the plug and the threads stripped on the Head. I'll state in again Ford knew this was a design flaw hence the 8 threads on the 03-04 Cobras, I invite you to contact the TOP Tuners in the Country and ask if they've had customers bring in Stangs with similar problems like I stated. My friends shop has seen it more times than you could imagine and simply blaming the plug as the cause of this seems strange to me? The extended Tip NGK's are the Iridium series, the TR's electrodes are the same as Auto's and Motorcafts.
tere's only 2 types of plugs you can use Randy? the Fastest Blown Mustangs in the Country use NGK TR6's and THAT'S A FACT!!
For daily drivers and mildly modified Stangs I agree the Autolites and Motorcrafts are Great But when you see the ****in Sick 800+ HP YouTube vids of Blown Stangs on the Dyno their using NGK's.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have respect for ALL my Blue Oval Guys, but I just wanted to share the problem I had and wish Everyone luck with their motors, CJ

dude, I am in touch wth the top tuners in the USA, every day, as most are curtomers of mine and there have been issues but alot of the issues are from detonation from either an improper tune, wrong plugs or a poor install, just to list a few...I've never seen a head wth 3 threads, I'd like to sea some proof instead of someones hear-say, got any pics of this what is the fone # to "your friends" shop, I'd like to talk to them and sea just how many they've incountered
what mods do you have on yours? I'd like to sea the Motorcraft plug that backed outta' your head, got any pics of it

what fastest blown Mustang are you talking about, again, got any proof or pics or is this still just hear-say or what you read in a magazine


the % of blown plugs to the # of 4.6's out there, well your prob talking less than 1% of the cars made and just about everyone I've encountered having this problem, was not just the fault of FoMoCo....
I dont disagree there were issues wth the heads but alot of the problems stem from the tune, to much boost, wrong plugs, improper install and more.....Im not going to argue wth you anymore on this subject as it would be pointless but I would like to sea some proof from you to back-up any of your claims.....
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008   #29 (permalink)
cjhookah is offline Rookie


Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 14 Threads: 4
 cjhookah's Country Flag
largo, Fl.   Florida
cjhookah is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm in Total agreement Randy, I'm not into controversy and that wasn't my intent, I was just giving replies to statements made, like before I respect my fellow Blue Ovalers, I've been in the scene since 1988 and was one of the original Fun Ford Weekend 5.0 Shootout Competitors.
Yes I'm pretty sure I still have the damaged plug, let me look for it in my garage then I'll post pics.
My friend James's shop is Race Related in the Clearwater FLA. area, I'll ask him if I can post his cell # in this Forum or I could e-mail it to you? I'd have to say he's one of the Best 32V Modular Motor builders in the Southest and his Reputation is Impeccable, DEFINITELY NOT a fly by night Pea Brain Ford Guy, his #2 man is a respected custom software Tuning Rep for DiabloSport.
Now when I stated that the Top Blown Stangs in the Country use NGK TR6's it wasn't hearsay or what I read in a mag.
I'm sure you've heard of Kenne Bell,Vortech, Evolution Performance,Sniper Tuning etc..
I'll post links for them in this post, Evolution INSISTS on NGK's for Supercharger upgrades on the Shelby GT500 and all 4.6's, Kenne Bell as well, I could put 25 links if you really want to see how many of the Best use the TR6's.
Check the Newest Muscle Mustangs for the GT500 shootout and see what speed shop built and tuned MOST of the cars competing(Evolution).
Even 4.6 Mustang Building Manuals recommend them so if I'm supplying some PROOF like you wanted. CJ
p.s. for the hell of it I went on C5 and C6 Corvette forums last nite and they say the same NGK TR's for Blown applications, These are the Copper Cores remember. And also it seems like the plugs that back out most of the time are Cylinders #7 and #8, have you heard the same thing?
Evolution Performance Shelby GT500 Stage 2 - JLT [EVO-GT500-Stage2-JLT] - $1,150.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts
Mustang Cobra 4.6 Supercharger
Sniper Tuning Forums - View topic - New SF owner --03 s/c cobra running bad
4.6 Liter Ford Engine Ignition Systems
cjhookah is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008   #30 (permalink)
tripleblack is offline Top Dog

4.6L Member


Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,226 Threads: 740
 tripleblack's Country Flag  View tripleblack's 48 photos
Atlanta   Georgia
tripleblack is on a distinguished road
Default Plugged

LOL, tremendous discussion about spark plugs...

As a general rule, when passing out phone numbers and such, do those with a PM - much less danger of unintended repercussions down stream.

For what its worth, I have a little experience with both camps.

I like the Motorcraft plugs for the 4.6, above all others, and a copper core plug in general.

I also consider the high price, tricky designs with multiple everything to be marketing gimmicks, and that is ASSUMING they last just as long as a regular plug (just cost 4 times as much).

The NGK's ARE popular with the boosted motors, with the TR6's listed as "good" by lots of knowledgeable folks - but then again, this particular thread is about a newbee working with a basic n/a 4.6.

To the OP: The advice to stick with Motorcraft parts when you DON'T have real, demonstrated knowledge beyond the glowing ads we are all bombarded with is a good "base line". Bring your questions here to AFM BEFORE you spend money - if nothing else, we will all thoroughly enjoy arguing about them with each other!

I really appreciate the way the back and forth went here - we mods watch for things when they get heated, and this one went JUST the way it should - polite and respectful and with good intentions on all sides.

If anyone wants to get mad about it, send me a PM and we can argue politics all you want - LOL - if THAT doesn't get the venom out of your system, then I must be losing my touch!


stan
__________________
tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
tripleblack is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162