Ford Mustang Forum banner

need help identifying a 4.6 I just bought

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lefty310 
#1 ·
OK experts I need your help.. I have bought a 4.6 that I'm believing is an aluminum block that appears to have 11 bolt valve cover romeo heads that are p.i. heads. 6 bolt crank. I'm stumped cause I thought only Windsor and teksid produced aluminum blocks not romeo. There is a big W stamped on the bottom of the block near the oil pan. The cast number on the back of the block near the crank is F5AE-6K318-AA. Which I believe is a romeo number but not sure.. Any input would be highly appreciated.. Thanks..

#3 ·
Sorry haven't checked this forum out in some time.. Yes after much homework I figured out it was an explorer WAP block with Romeo heads and crank.. I swapped all the necessary parts to make it work in my gt and it runs like a champ.. Pulls harder than the old romeo GT motor that came out.. Best drag strip time is 8.258 and 1.722 60 foot.. All motor and on Mickey Thompson slicks..

#4 ·
I've learned a whole since this post. I've replaced the motor and trans and rebuilt the rear end twice with no help. I've done lots of fixes on the car and I never need to ask anyone what or how to do anything anymore, I just tackle whatever job I need to do to it. This motor now runs 7.6 in an 1\8 mile naturally aspirated. Not bad for starting out with a motor that I only paid $460 for.

#5 ·
Wow. That's nice. Congratulations on the accomplishments. Enjoy the ride. Thanks for the follow up info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.