Ford Mustang Forum banner

PATS Morse code?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jackson3010 
#1 ·
My problems from last year doing into limp mode and not starting were corrected with replacing the pcm. I still say the tuner did it. But can't prove it.
Anyway got the new pcm programmed and matched at Ford with a new key. After 2 days of countless started its locking me out. Cars going back Monday but it's nice here in PA and I want to ride.
Currently key in run. Theft was fast blink then slowed down with pauses. Now it's not there. Still no mileage and fan is running. Vehicle Car Gauge Speedometer Tachometer

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
It seems to me your car is in "reprogram" mode. When i have reprogramed my 02 with my turner it causes that to happen. My guess is that it was not the tuner but your car has an issue the pcm. Something is causing your pcm to enter the programing mode. Test your fuses because i know i blew my PCM 15 amp fuse and it caused the theft light to flash and the milage to turn to dashes like yours. The fuse is in the Central Junction Box. Thats my guess but someone might have some more incite to help you with your issue.

#3 ·
Do you have more than 1 key? Might have an issue with the key losing communication with the pats system and putting the car into reprogram mode. If you have a 2nd key try that.

#4 · (Edited)
Currently key in run. Theft was fast blink then slowed down with pauses. Now it's not there. Still no mileage and fan is running.
What model year Mustang are we dealing with?

IMO this is NOT a PATS problem per se.

IMO it more likely that the PCM is NOT being powered on. What are the symptoms of a powered off PCM?
  • All dashes "-----" on the cluster
  • cooling fan runs all the time
  • crank with no start
  • flashing theft light.
  • No ODB2 communications between the ODB2 scanner and PCM.

So IF there were no power to the PCM, the anti-theft (PATS) issues would be expected.

Possible causes:
  • blown fuse
  • bad battery ground
  • bad CCRM
  • bad CCRM ground
  • bad electric ignition switch
  • bad PCM. Note the a bad PCM is last on this list!

Before replacing a PCM, IMO it would be wise to confirm that the PCM is actually receiving power. It's a terrible idea to replace a PCM as a "trouble shooting" method as this just might trade one problem for another. Not to mention it's an $$ test.

Have you checked all of the fuses? The Grounds?

If looking for a quick test to see if there is +12 volts at the COP's with the key on. Another easy place to test is at the ignition system radio interference capacitor.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM) and are you willing to use it? If so there are tests that can be done to confirm power to the PCM.

#5 ·
Came home and for kicks I went to see if it would start. Sure enough it did. I'll be checking the above.

Yes I have two keys. It was recently programmed and added a key by Ford. It's a 99 GT cloned with a 99 GT donor. 3.8 auto to 4.6 standard. Cluster/ column and key/ and PCM and harnesses.

PCM went bad now replaced and here we are.

#6 ·
Well I'm sorry I can't give a conclusion to what it was troubling the car. Ford returned the car back with the words "we didn't do anything, and it starts everytime."
They didn't charge me so I guess only time will tell when I'm stranded somewhere...

#7 ·
FIXED!
Not gloating but so far I'm 2 for 2 with problems with my car that FORD missed/ didn't want to get into.

Answer: PATS system bypassed. Thank you to BAMA Performance and AMERICAN MUSCLE.

Reactions: JonR2006
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.