Ford Mustang Forum banner

Can someone diagnose this datalog?

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  02MustangGTGuy 
#1 ·
To make a long story short, I'm having issues getting all the readiness monitors to complete. I can get all of them to pass very quickly (with the exception of the EVAP, 8 hour sit test) but cannot get the Catalytic Converter to come online.

2002 Mustang GT 4.6L 2v

o2 Sensor = Completed
o2 Heater = Completed
Catalytic Converter = Not Completed
EGR = Not Completed (no worries there, it's disabled in the tune)
EVAP System = Completed

It has an O/R X Pipe (no cats) and does not throw any codes what so ever (verified with scan tool and SF3), even without the MIL eliminators. The EGR has also been removed, and disabled in the tune. The rear o2's have been enabled in the tune.

After installing the MIL's I figured it would pass, but it has not. Everything else (except the EGR) has passed the readiness monitor. I did a quick datalog with the SF3, but I need someone to decode it for me.

This was done with a pair of MIL eliminators installed. Does the o2 voltage pre and post cat look correct? Also, ignore the speed sensor and knock index, that was a spike in the graph. I wasn't going 116mph, nor did it add 65,311 degrees of timing, lol.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
MILs on 02+ computers are hit and miss...they sometimes work, sometimes not...have you tried spark plug foulers? They are cheap and easy.

As far as the actual datalog numbers I have no input. Seems as simple as the MILs aren't working which means another avenue needs to be taken.

#3 ·
With the egr disabled your catalytic system will never ready up. I had the same issue with my car, 02 v6 with cats. Sorry to say that but you will have to ask whom ever did your tune, if bama send them a datalog with your request. They may not be able to help as i did the same thing two months ago with no success. I will say though, although when i first did my mods, deleted the egr, i needed to get it inspected and because it's 02 i can only have 1 not ready. The tuner who adjusted my file at bama sent me a stock tune file and changed every drive cycle as not available which allowed me to pass for the year. Maybe this might help or it might not.. Good luck though

#4 ·
So the Cat will never pass the readiness without the EGR? Do MIL's exist for 02 4.6L's? I see there's a DIY to make one (and ebay has them) but such a plug doesn't exist on newer S197's. I only see an inline 3 blade (- - -) and a 2 blade plug. One for the DPFE and the other for the EGR Solenoid.

#5 ·
I can't confirm or deny what 6stang said but the next cheapest thing to try is plug foulers.

Hopefully wmburns chimes in for us...he's the man when it comes to this stuff.

#6 ·
It sure seems that way, about the EGR preventing the Cat readiness. The odd thing is, even without MIL's, the rear o2's enabled and no cats, I never once got a CEL with a custom tune or strategy tune. I figured the MIL's would quickly get it to pass readiness (seeing how it never throws a code, even without them) but I was wrong. Still no codes (verified with scanner) with the MIL's. Not even the P1000 readiness code.

I've re-flashed it a couple times with the strategy tune, just to verify the rear o2's were enabled. Same thing every time tho.

#7 ·
Okay, well I might have some progress. I made a Q&D, DPFE / EGR simulator (HERE). I flashed it with the EGR enabled, let it idle for a few minutes and shut it off. When I started it again the CEL came on pretty quickly, but.... I only had one code vs 3 EGR related codes without the simulator. It pointed toward the solenoid, so I double checked wiring. One wire was kinda loose, so I fixed that and tried it again.

I went through the same procedure, start, idle, light revs, shut it off, start it again, idle etc etc. I did this three times and I have no CEL. I verified with the scanner and I have no DTC codes. I haven't drove it yet to see how it will respond (it's kinda sloppy, I need to heat-shrink and all that) but so far it looks promising.

I'll keep this updated when I find out more.

#9 ·
But, did you have your EGR removed?

I just put together a more sturdy version of the DPFE Simulator, and did a test run again.

- Before the simulator, the car threw a CEL P1000, P0401, and P0409 about 30 seconds after the second start, just after installing a fresh tune.

- A few minutes ago I did a fresh tune and installed the EGR Simulator. I did a total of 5 engine starts / stops (not in a row, drove a little then stopped, started, drove etc) and probably 20 miles total. I never saw the CEL light come on once, and I verified with the scanner to see If I had any codes, which there were not.

So I can't say that It will / has fixed my readiness issue (I'll have to borrow a scan tool tomorrow, the SCT SF3 doesn't monitor MIL readiness) just yet, but the results are promising to say the least.

Wish me luck!

#12 ·
Okay, somewhat of an update:

I made a simulator a few days ago and long story short,... It didn't work. The CEL came on about 20 or so miles after a fresh tune and maybe 7-8 key events. I threw a fresh tune on, drove for maybe a 10-20 miles and checked codes. P0401 came up even tho there was no CEL... strange. So I cleared the codes and called it a day.

This morning, I made a completely new EGR Simulator (very well made this time) and installed it. I loaded a fresh tune and went for a drive. After 15-20 minutes I checked readiness with a scan tool. Much to my surprise, the EGR was ready. The o2, o2 heater and EGR were all ready. Cat and Evap had not passed yet. I've driven an additional 30 miles maybe, and so far no CEL or codes. So in all reality, the Simulator did work, but for how long.... I'm not sure.

I'll check tomorrow to see if the Cat's are ready to rule out the Cat will not pass without the EGR theory. Since I haven't touched the rear o2's, we'll see what happens. I know the Evap will pass tomorrow after it sits for a little while tho.

More updates to follow.

#13 ·
Major update:

I checked codes a little while ago and the o2, o2 heater, EGR and Cat were all ready. The Evap was not ready, but whatever. It just needs more sitting time I guess. I haven't touched the rear o2's since messing with the EGR, so 6stang02 was correct about the cats will not pass ready without the EGR.

So, to anyone having the same issue I'm having (Cats not passing readiness monitor) you'll need a functioning EGR valve (or simulator) to get the Cats to pass. Even tuned with an SCT SF3 to disable the EGR did not work. The only thing that actually got the cats to pass readiness was an enabled and functioning EGR valve, or simulator.

I hope this helps someone in the future having the same issue I was having. Good luck :wink:

#14 ·
Final Update:

Well, the results are in. I passed! I've been driving the car with the simulator for about 4 days now and everything runs great. The o2, o2 heater, EGR and Catalytic Converter were all ready and passed. The Evap however did not ever come online as ready... I'm not sure why, because it always readied up pretty quickly pre-egr simulator. Maybe I just needed more drive time, but I'm allowed 1 not ready so either way it's good.

If anyone has any questions or needs help with this, PM me or ask here. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.