Ford Mustang Forum banner

What does it take to go from a V6 to a V8?

992 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jackson3010 
#1 ·
We blew the motor on our 1998 3.8. I either want to rebuild the motor or would really like to go with a V8. Is it a simple swap? Will the auto transmission trans bolt up to the V8? Can my transmission handle the power of a V8. My main concern being the wiring harness and computer. Is it worth it?
Charlie

#2 ·
This is asked a lot. Do some searching on the forum and you will find Your answer.

There is one person on this forum that I know of that has completed a V8 swap and one who is in the middle of one. that should give you a good idea of what is involved.

PM HeavyMetal and Stevew01...

All I have to say is part out your current car and buy a GT or Cobra...you will thank me later.

#5 ·
I have been fortunate that I was able to find all my items needed at a very reasonable price. Heavy metal is dead on when he said you must change everything.
Engine, Transmission, driveshaft, rear axle, power brake booster to hydrobooster, a/c and lines are different, power steering pump and lines are different, radiator, radiator fan, ABS and brake lines (if you swap to an ABS car), all wiring harnesses, the CCRM under passenger side fender, instrument cluster, computer, and alot of time.

On my swap I have been able to acquire the following parts for the prices listed.
Engine - $300
Transmission T45 - $450
Driveshaft - free take out of my 03 GT when upgraded
Flywheel - take out of my car when upgraded
Engine computer and instrument cluster - $120
All wiring harnesses including CCRM (I still need dash harness) - $100
Headers and X-pipe - free take out when I upgraded

I have decided to do this swap as a father/son project for my oldest boy who is currently 12 and will be moving in with me soon. The purpose behind the swap is I have a V6 vin car when done to help ease the insurance pains, I get to give my son a NICE CAR for his first car as everything from front to rear will be new including paint (transmission and engine and seats will be used, everything else will be purchased and installed one piece at a time for him over the next few years as able to do so). It will teach my son how to appreciate his car as he is going to be doing chores to earn money to buy more parts. It will also show him how to do most things on a car himself.

I have been able to sell almost all my v6 stuff thus far and am not too bad into the costs yet. Converters - $210 Transmission - $275 Alternator and power steering system - $50 A/C system with lines - $50

Good luck with your swap if you do it.

#6 ·
Sadly, It's back to the V6 section for me. Good news we are buying a 2000 Mustang, 4.8 54,000 miles, show car condition with about $3,000 of upgrades made by the owner. I get my son's old V6 which I was hoping to go V8. I'll just stick with a V6 and enjoy driving his new ride.
thanks for all the feedback guys.
Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.