Ford Mustang Forum banner

Fuel gauge issue

660 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SoCal2V 
#1 ·
ok so I was driving down the road this morning and my fuel gauge started to drop rapidly. I thought at first I had a fuel leak but it stopped right behind the half mark. about a mile later it jumped back to full....is this my gauge or my float for my fuel pump? If it is my fuel pump messing up would it be worth replacing? if so what should I get. I wouldn't mind upgrading from the stock to a higher flow unit but I don't know which I should get.

#2 ·
More likely a float or electrical connection concern than a gauge. As far as a higher flow fuel pump, unless you're running forced air there's no need IMHO. The stock fuel pump is more than capable of supplying fuel efficiently for an N/A setup.

#3 ·
Ok i was wondering if it could be telling me my pump was about to go....anyway how can i tell if its the float or electrical connection? Where is the connector at? So i can check if its loose or needs to be cleaned.

#4 ·
You would have to drop the tank, the fuel pump/level sending unit assy. is on the top facing side of the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.