Ford Mustang Forum banner

water leaking from cat?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SonicBlue02 
#1 ·
so i drove my mustang to work today and took the country roads on the way back so i could have a little fun (top down, no a/c). So after being home for about 30 minutes a return to the garage and find that i am leaking water from the top passenger cat. I realize water is a by product of combustion, but it was A LOT of water. Coolant level is fine. I started her up and temp was fine, also A/C compressor is fine (blowing ice cold), nothing wet inside the cab. Nothing on engine, exhaust manifold, coming right from cat. My gut tells me not to worry about it, but i would say it was around several oz of water +/-. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
^ He mentioned that the A/C was not in use, so kinda rules that out.

The convertor condensation so far as I'm aware generally only occurs when the engine is warming up or when the ambient temperature is low. So I'm at bit of a loss for reasonable explanation.

That said, as long as it was clean clear water then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#4 ·
It was the strangest thing, that's why I had to ask. Seeing a few drips of water drip from the exhaust on a hot day after the engine cools down is nothing to mention, but if I could have collected all this water and put it in a glass, I seriously could have filled a rocks glass.

Yeah it was clean water, so like you said SoCal, I am just going to ignore it (maybe she is getting to pampered and getting her out on a hot day a letting her run for a little while, caused her to have a little extra perspiration....lol).

thanks for the replies, I will keep you all posted if anything changes.

#5 ·
This may or may not help but i recently have noticed this problem with my car also. I lowered it an 1.5" and attempted to take a speed bump at my school, which is like 5 feet tall and 2 inches wide, needless to say on 12 year old struts.. I bottomed out and my cats took the blunt force. Ever since then ive had an exhaust leak and a condensation leak. Id check and make sure your cats are not punctured allowing water to escape from there instead of evaporating and coming out of the tail pipe. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.