Ford Mustang Forum banner

Wow! Major overheating problem Again?

833 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jackson3010 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 2003 Mach 1 Mustang and took it to a shop and they rebuilt the engine. It costs me $9600. I know! Ridiculous! 2 Months later I receive my car and less than 200 miles and 24 hours later, Coolant builds pressure and spits out of the radiator cap. I tow it back to the shop. The shop told me I had an air bubble in the cooling system. I receive my car back, less than 50 miles and 10 hours later, while I was in the Bestbuy Parking lot, Coolant leaked badly from the thermostat housing almost as the thermostat gasket wasn't holding up due to high pressure. I take the car back, 10 hours later, they told me it was a combination of the thermostat getting stuck and the fan motor was shorted out from the coolant spilling on the motor. Now I have been monitoring the cooling system and find that there are drops coming from the thermostat housing. I purposely left my AC off for this situation and I cant see the exhaust pipe collecting water in the summer. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have taken the car to the shop 3 times with the same problem. The shop says the engine passed all leak tests and gasket tests. The car only overheats when coolant sprays out of the radiator. My coolant temp stays around 216 Degrees. Is this a reasonable temperature? The radiator was replaced with a new one because they told me the draincock was leaking. They replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat as well. Ever since this was replaced, the radiator doesn't leak instead, it leaks at the thermostat housing or sprays out of the cap. The cap was replaced as well. What are some ideas I can check for myself? Thanks guys for your support.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. $9,600. That's what complete Mach 1 cars are selling for here.

I wonder if the water pump/t-stat was installed correctly? It sounds like there is something wacky going on with the installation of the new parts. I swear I think I read an exact same story from another member with a Mach 1 just a month ago or so. Could you check the water pump and t-stat yourself for correct parts and correct installation? Or go to a different shop and let them inspect it? Maybe even a Ford dealer.

#6 ·
That shop sucks. When they said it had a air bubble in it that's b.s they should have tested the car and checked the cooling system before giving it back to u. Every time your engine gets hot its getting damaged so are they gonna give u another engine cuz there fu#king yours up. I put about 100 miles on a new engine before giving a car back to a customer so I'm sure its right. That shop is sh#t. I would take the car to a good shop or dealer and if everything is not 100% right I would make the crappy shop pay for it and maybe make them pay for a new engine. Every time something gos wrong your engine is taking damage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.