Ford Mustang Forum banner

Royal purple motor oil

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Special20 
#1 ·
I just changed my oil with royal purple thinking it was top notch but within 3 days half of it has burned off..im pissed, anyone else have similar experiences?

#3 ·
My car didnt like Royal Purple either. I run Pennzoil Platinum right now, used to run Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

#5 ·
How many miles on the car, and what oil was it "used to"?

I'm with the others, that it's probably not the oil's fault.

#6 ·
You problem is not the brand of oil you used....there must be other symptoms?

#8 ·
I have seen "cold pour" tests where Royal Purple sucked. Granted, these were not highly controlled laboratory experiments, but the dudes put various brands in a deep freeze and then took them all out and turned the bottles over. Some oils ran right out. Royal Purple looked like waffle syrup. I'll never touch the stuff because A) it gets REALLY cold here in winter and B) there are far better oils for 40% less money on the shelf right next to it.

#9 ·
For some odd reason when I used Royal Purle my rear main seal leaked. It never leaked with any other oil. I have no explanation as to why. It hasent leaked since then nor did it leak before. I thought it was wierd but I just switched oils and no more leaks.

#10 ·
I just did an oil change with royal purple on the recommendation of a friend. Haven't had any burn off what so ever. My first time using the stuff. I normally use mobile one. But i did watch a video of how they make the stuff. Its much more refined then the other brands. I'll see how the next 2900 miles go, the first 100 have been trouble free.

#11 ·
My personal experience has been bad with RP.

I first used some RP gear lube in a manual trans, and it made it shift horrible. Instantly I could tell something was wrong. Not really having an option, I used some generic farm store gear lube, and it worked great. Second, would be an engine I built for my brothers first car. It used a little oil (I built it pretty loose) but RP just made it a flat out problem. Switching to another brand (cant remember which, probably M1) brought it back to normal.

Third and final, RP Purple Ice coolant additive. Added it to my daily from years ago, and shortly after the water pump went. Could have been coincidence, but seemed strange.

My opinion is that it's all a marketing gimmick. But that's only my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

#12 ·
^ +1 on marketing gimmick.

RP does make quality fluids, although if you want their "true" synthetic motor oil then you need to reach (and spend even more than the normal price premium) for their "HPS" line. The regular blend is just hydrocracked base stock group III like many other oils that are marketed as "synthetic".

#17 ·
I use M1EP in all 5 of my vehicles and change every 5K or 1yr, whichever happens first. So yeah, wasting money is sorta my thing too. Like Jon has alluded to, oil is less expensive than rebuilt engines - you are more likely to have a problem by not changing often enough than you are from changing too often.

Reactions: lefty310
#19 ·
a couple thoughts I have.

bought my 02 GT last year (low mile garage queen). and decided to use RP on her. First experience with RP, but figured its the best of the best and that is what I wanted. Changed oil before storage (last October), pulled out of storage back in May. Car has ran great, no issues, no burning oil. I have put just over 1k miles this season. I intend to replicate steps forthcoming and continue to use motorcraft filters and RP 5W20.

in regards to synthetic oil and duration, my old GMC had an oil viscosity monitor to keep tabs on when to change oil. During the entire time I had the truck (several years) I ran synthetic oil and would change oil when I was down to 10% engine life +/-.
I averaged 2 changes per year and on average put right around 17k miles on it. the truck had over 180k and ran excellent when I traded her off.

My wifes Altima, just has a timer on it. I have that set to go off every 6500 miles. Run synthetic in hers and have had that for over 5 years and she just ran over 110K. Engine runs great.

There is surely nothing wrong with changing the oil every 2500-3000 miles, but as others have said you really should be safe going a longer than that if you really wanted to.

#22 · (Edited)
#23 ·
I have 2003 GT Convertible and put less than 3000 miles a year on it and it sits outside covered.. I change the oil with Mobile1 every 6 months. I feel that by not running the car that much, there is a lot of contaminants(condensation) which are breaking the oil down. What are some opinions on this.

#25 ·
I think you are ok to do what you're doing. As I stated previously, it's your car/money/responsibility. Change the oil when you want to. You surely aren't hurting anything doing it.

Reactions: heavy metal
#26 ·
If your oil is "turning black and breaking down" by the time it hits 3,000 miles, then either A) your oil is garbage or B) your engine needs internal work.

As has been said, people doing oil analysis are seeing that at 10,000 miles there are still plenty of detergents left in good synthetic oils. Remember, synthetic oil never wears out. It's the detergents and additives that eventually do. Changing oil every 3K is like drinking half a beer, pouring the rest out and ordering another...over and over and over again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.