Ford Mustang Forum banner

ABS light/dragging brakes

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  wmburns 
#1 ·
I'm working on an '01 GT. About a year ago, I had installed new parts store hubs and ever since then the abs light has been on with wheel speed sensor codes. Every once in a while i'll notice the front brakes dragging, sometimes to the point of causing the car to downshift to maintain speed and I can smell the brakes burning. The last time this happened, I checked the temp of my rotors and the fronts were what I would think as a normal 185 F. but the fronts were about 350 F. at the hottest point. I pulled both abs fuses and this time I couldn't feel them drag or smell them burning, but the temp didn't change. My question is, will pulling the fuses to the abs or unplugging it cause any issues? Or could it still be causing the fronts to drag. I would just replace the hubs but I really don't have much faith in the aftermarket ones and don't really want to pay dealer prices. I'm doubting it's in the calipers or the hoses because both fronts just happened to be affected at the same time. It is possible though. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

#2 ·
I just don't see how the hubs can have any effect to CAUSE the brakes to drag. IMO you should be trouble shooting this as a brake problem. Either the calipers pistons are binding or the master cylinder isn't releasing as it should.

Since you seem certain that this isn't a caliper problem, then focus on the master cylinder.

However if these we my brakes being burned up as I drove, I would check to be sure that the caliper pistons move as well as to check to be sure that the slid pins are not galled (the calipers can slid on the slid pins).

In fact, It wouldn't surprise me if the calipers aren't already ruined from being over heated. It just may turn out that a new master cylinder plus (2) calipers are in your future. Maybe even warped rotors.....

#3 ·
I was thinking hubs because they have the rings that the wheel speed sensors read, which I believe is causing my ABS light to come on due to wheel speed sensor codes. I'll be inspecting the calipers/rotors this evening if I get a chance so I'll post back with what I find.

#4 ·
From a "fail safe" design point of view IF there's an ABS DTC code, the presence of an ABS DTC code should disable the ABS portion of the brakes. I just don't see a well designed system partially applying the brakes when the ABS controller "knows" that it has a fault.

The usual cause for ABS sensor related DTC codes are:
  • Wheel sensor contaminated with metal debris
  • Wiring fault to the wheel sensor.
  • Wheel sensor bad or damaged.
  • blown ABS fuse
  • tire size mismatch between front/rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.