Ford Mustang Forum banner

Vibration Frustration

785 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lefty310 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new here and have been an avid car lover for many many years. I have a 2001 Bullitt, all stock, unmolested with approx. 40k on the odo. Recently, its developed a slight vibration. Here are the symptoms.

Vibration is not so apparent when freshly started (engine starts very quickly) but as engine warms up, vibration is noticable especially around 1800-2200.

Low gear acceleration w/ full throttle can result in clicking or pinging (maybe sparks are arching)

When idling, disaconnected the maf, very little change in rpm..engine does have more of a chug chug chug until i plug the maf back in. Maf was cleaned with MAF cleaner, dried, then reinstalled. (Stock airbox and filter).

IAC appears to be fine.

When driving at 60, i can depress the clutch, RPMS drop, its hard to tell if its driveline because the highways here in LA are garbage and this car feels every bump and crevice.

Never had the COPS changed or plugs, then again, nothing has been changed. I was thinking of getting under the car and testing the play in the driveshaft.

My background - owned a fox, 15 years with a grand national, built all my engines and cars, and clutchs but wont touch a tranny's guts. Otherwise, im very technical and just dont have anymore tools or place to work on my car in the LA/Sherman oaks area since i moved here from Virginia in the past few months.

I'd be willing to let someone kind enough on the forum test a few things on the car before i take it to Galpin Ford. It sucks being mechanically inclined and not being able to service my car.

Any suggestions you guys can help provide will be greatly appreciated. Btw, I ran a search and found a whole mess of results. Feel free to ask me any questions and ill be happy to respond.

God Bless

See less See more
#3 ·
^ I'm thinkin the same thing. Start with simple and inexpensive items like plugs and probably a good time for a fuel filter. 40K is about time for one or both of those items.

And I hope you have Galpin $$, dealership service dept's are always a bit pricey but due to Galpin being in the Valley I wouldn't be surprised if they were even worse than usual. I don't know any good independent shops in your area but if it were my money I'd try to find a decent one rather than go to a dealership.

#4 ·
Thanks Socal, i appreciate the ideas. I was thinking about simply going in on Monday, having them perform a diagnostic and giving me the printout. Whatever is needed from that list, i can moreless tackle on my own with some tools from the local harborfreight. She runs pretty good cold, but when the engine warms up, theres that miss and vibration. I'm destined to think its not a motor mount but i will get under the car and check the ujoints, shaft and mounts just to be on the safe side before the diagnostic. If they give me an outrageous quote, i'll be more than happy to do it myself unless its the harmonic balancer or mount...those i cannot do on my own.

:)

#5 ·
Welcome to Cali. Im from LA myself but dont live there anymore. Regardless if you have a facebook you should be able to find a good alternative to a dealer in this group called SoCal mustang PARTS and cars for sale ONLY!

I tried to copy and paste the address but my phone thinks its funny not to let me.
Anyhow lot's of mustang guys on there that can refer you to someone who knows the ins and outs of these cars. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.