1998 Mustang GT, Best Ways to Increase to 300HP? - Page 13 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Garage
Wow this was a nice read. It took about an hour to read all 12 pages, soaking in every detail.

I really appreciate the comment in regards to the 4.6 lasting over 200k with proper maintenance. I have 171k on my 01 GT (old yeller) and am hoping to get a good 30-40 thousand from it before I open up the engine.

This thread is actually hopeful, for the not so knowledgeable car guy. I have engine experience, just not with the OHC engines. I have a beast (compared to worn out stock) of a small block in my 94 Z71, so I know about matching parts for the best gains.

I am excited to know the real world numbers, keep us posted.

90lxwhite likes this.

01 GT "Old Yeller" rebuild in progress

94 Ext Cab Z71 5 speed. Way too many mods and way too much money spent, and still not done yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cribb View Post
Wow this was a nice read. It took about an hour to read all 12 pages, soaking in every detail.

I really appreciate the comment in regards to the 4.6 lasting over 200k with proper maintenance. I have 171k on my 01 GT (old yeller) and am hoping to get a good 30-40 thousand from it before I open up the engine.

This thread is actually hopeful, for the not so knowledgeable car guy. I have engine experience, just not with the OHC engines. I have a beast (compared to worn out stock) of a small block in my 94 Z71, so I know about matching parts for the best gains.

I am excited to know the real world numbers, keep us posted.

I've enjoyed this one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #183 of 293 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Lol, I found the replacement foam for the GT seats. It's not something that is easily replaced when re-using the original upholstery. I might have to get the foam and take it to a professional. My leather isn't in that bad of shape. Just needs new foam.

I'm using Tuning by James for tuning this PI and cam swap. I thought this was going to take a few days, but at the rate he's going this is going to take all month. I'm on day 4 waiting for a reply to a pretty simple question. I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. Of course the funds have already cleared out of my account. Has anyone here ever used him?

1998 Mustang GT Convertible - K&N CAI, BBK 78mm TB/PL, PI Swap, MHS Stage 2 Cams, FRPP 24LB Injectors, Steeda U/P, FRPP 3.55 Gears

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRose View Post
Lol, I found the replacement foam for the GT seats. It's not something that is easily replaced when re-using the original upholstery. I might have to get the foam and take it to a professional. My leather isn't in that bad of shape. Just needs new foam.

I'm using Tuning by James for tuning this PI and cam swap. I thought this was going to take a few days, but at the rate he's going this is going to take all month. I'm on day 4 waiting for a reply to a pretty simple question. I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. Of course the funds have already cleared out of my account. Has anyone here ever used him?

Google TMI foam head hits the roof now. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...issues.867145/

http://www.sn95forums.com/archive/in.../t-51852.html?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...9745?_k=8y3q40

Here's a few but there are more. I read one where a 5'7" guys hair was rubbing the headliner in his 95 with the power seat all the way down. I'd be leery of tmi of that's who you're looking at.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Are the naysayers starting to come around?

post #186 of 293 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Google TMI foam head hits the roof now. TMI Seat issues | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Installing brand new TMI Vinyl (yes vinyl) upholstery in my 98 [Archive] - SN95Forums The Only SN95 1994-2004 Dedicated Ford Mustang Community

TMI seat foam disappointing - Vintage Mustang Forums

Here's a few but there are more. I read one where a 5'7" guys hair was rubbing the headliner in his 95 with the power seat all the way down. I'd be leery of tmi of that's who you're looking at.

Yea it was the TMI foam I was looking at. That's good to know about the height difference. I guess it's a good thing the top goes down, lol. No but seriously I'll look into OEM replacement foam. I saw a few pieces on eBay.

Quote:
Are the naysayers starting to come around?

The results were good enough to shut everyone up. My 1998 2v SOHC GT now has more rwhp then a 1998 4v DOHC Cobra. Ford lists horsepower at the crank and the Cobra is rated at 305hp. A conservative estimate for my GT is 280rwhp, add 10% to 15% for the drive train and that puts my GT up at a conservative 308HP at the crank. More then a Cobra

James sent me my first tune file. I have to datalog using the wideband O2 sensor and send the results back to him. The older SCT's use a firewire cable, but the newer iTSX use a special proprietary analog cable. The cable is scheduled for delivery later today. Once it arrives I can datalog all of the parameters that James needs to tune the ECU properly. It seams that the more the car tries to compensate for the changes the worse it runs with the stage 2 cams. If I wasn't going to tune it, then finding a way to keep it in an open loop might be a temporary fix?

1998 Mustang GT Convertible - K&N CAI, BBK 78mm TB/PL, PI Swap, MHS Stage 2 Cams, FRPP 24LB Injectors, Steeda U/P, FRPP 3.55 Gears
SHELBY GT 350 Member

1998 Mustang GT, Best Ways to Increase to 300HP?

Quote:
Yea it was the TMI foam I was looking at. That's good to know about the height difference. I guess it's a good thing the top goes down, lol. No but seriously I'll look into OEM replacement foam. I saw a few pieces on eBay.

The results were good enough to shut everyone up. My 1998 2v SOHC GT now has more rwhp then a 1998 4v DOHC Cobra. Ford lists horsepower at the crank and the Cobra is rated at 305hp. A conservative estimate for my GT is 280rwhp, add 10% to 15% for the drive train and that puts my GT up at a conservative 308HP at the crank. More then a Cobra

James sent me my first tune file. I have to datalog using the wideband O2 sensor and send the results back to him. The older SCT's use a firewire cable, but the newer iTSX use a special proprietary analog cable. The cable is scheduled for delivery later today. Once it arrives I can datalog all of the parameters that James needs to tune the ECU properly. It seams that the more the car tries to compensate for the changes the worse it runs with the stage 2 cams. If I wasn't going to tune it, then finding a way to keep it in an open loop might be a temporary fix?

If you weren't going to tune it I'd put the 19's and stock maf back on and call it a day. That is if it'll run. If not just sit tight until the cable comes.

post #188 of 293 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I ended up using the stock MAF. I purchased a 80mm MAF out of a 95-97 Lincoln Mark VIII, but when I went to hook it up I noticed the plug connector was a different style even though it was a 4 pin connector. Turns out I didn't look very closely at the stock MAF. About the time I noticed the plugs weren't going to work I also noticed that the stock MAF is a 80mm in the 96-98 stangs. So there was no need to upgrade the MAF since the stock one was 80mm to begin with.

I'll put the 24# injectors in and the 78mm throttle body on tonight or tomorrow. It's time to finish this project, well at least the motor upgrades. I burnt my hand and the suspension parts are still sitting in boxes. After the suspension I'm going to focus on the exterior and the interior. Maybe in a few months I'll start prepping it for a new paint job. I've never prepped a car for paint before, but it's the only way I can afford it. That's going to be a whole new chapter.
90lxwhite likes this.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

What is the tuner having you do? Do you basically drive around and then send him the feed back?

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Fwiw the 94-98 MAF's are 70mm but a 70mm isn't holding you back. I think in 02 they were 80mm??

post #191 of 293 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
What is the tuner having you do? Do you basically drive around and then send him the feed back?

Step 1 is load the tune. Let it idle for a few minutes and shut it off. Send him the results, he tweaks it and sends it back. We repeat the process until we work our way up to WOT test on the road.

Quote:
Fwiw the 94-98 MAF's are 70mm but a 70mm isn't holding you back. I think in 02 they were 80mm??

Don't worry you wouldn't be the only one to get that wrong. The 94-95 (5.0's basically) had the 70mm MAF. The 96-98 (4.6L) had the 80mm. I think in 2002 they went to a 85mm, but it was due to an additional sensor. Performed the same as the 80mm from what I understand. There is a big difference between Ford factory MAFs and aftermarket ones. So much confusion on how these work it makes my head ache. Basically the aftermarket ones try and calibrate for the injector size. It's the wrong way to make it work, but a patch that many have used. Something that was more common on the 5.0's I believe. Once they got to the 4.6L the resolution was too fine to work well with that kind of a work around. Best way to go is to use a Ford factory MAF rated for the HP of your application. Then program the ECU to talk to it and the injectors properly. It requires a tuner who can re-write the ECU software that is then uploaded using a hand held type tuner.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:

Don't worry you wouldn't be the only one to get that wrong. The 94-95 (5.0's basically) had the 70mm MAF. The 96-98 (4.6L) had the 80mm. I think in 2002 they went to a 85mm, but it was due to an additional sensor. Performed the same as the 80mm from what I understand. There is a big difference between Ford factory MAFs and aftermarket ones. So much confusion on how these work it makes my head ache. Basically the aftermarket ones try and calibrate for the injector size. It's the wrong way to make it work, but a patch that many have used. Something that was more common on the 5.0's I believe. Once they got to the 4.6L the resolution was too fine to work well with that kind of a work around. Best way to go is to use a Ford factory MAF rated for the HP of your application. Then program the ECU to talk to it and the injectors properly. It requires a tuner who can re-write the ECU software that is then uploaded using a hand held type tuner.
80mm, that's a big honkin maf.
The whole "calibrated" maf thing was/is to try and get away without tuning when changing injector sizes. The "calibration" has always been done via the ecu from the factory. For example the 95 GT and Cobra have the same MAF's, but the gt has 19#' injectors and the cobra has 24's. I'm not sure when the whole "calibrated" maf thing came around since obd2 was already out when I was in my teens. But they seem more popular now than in '98 but then again maybe I just wasn't looking.
The tuning files come via email? What's the hardware involved? A hand held that you plug into the obd2 port? If so, do you rent or buy the handheld?

Rookie

Quote:

Great thread and I'm happy for you man. I did the same thing to mine and made it to 270 RW. I was hoping to hit 300 (I'd like to try another dyno). I bought the PI stock modded heads and stage 2 cams from MHS (they told me I would hit 300 RW...) along with every bolt-on with 3.37 rear end. these motors are tough and expensive to gain the HP as I've learned. The car is no doubt night and day from when I bought it though. Have fun with your new HP!

1996 GT Convertible with all the bolt-ons, including upper PI swap.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmijames View Post
Great thread and I'm happy for you man. I did the same thing to mine and made it to 270 RW. I was hoping to hit 300 (I'd like to try another dyno). I bought the PI stock modded heads and stage 2 cams from MHS (they told me I would hit 300 RW...) along with every bolt-on with 3.37 rear end. these motors are tough and expensive to gain the HP as I've learned. The car is no doubt night and day from when I bought it though. Have fun with your new HP!

Just out of curiosity, but how many rpms' are y'all spinning up to with the new cams and valvetrain? How many rpms will the stock pi cams and valvetrain handle?

Rookie

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, but how many rpms' are y'all spinning up to with the new cams and valvetrain? How many rpms will the stock pi cams and valvetrain handle?

Here are my dyno results. Not sure if this answers your question.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	528.9 KB
ID:	539561  

1996 GT Convertible with all the bolt-ons, including upper PI swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page