Ford Mustang Forum banner

A/C Help

705 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  soupnutz 
#1 ·
So my A/C stopped working.
Took it to the shop and my mechanic filled it with Freon and dye because there was a leak.
Now the compressor will not kick on even though it has power to it.
He told me to replace the low and high side relay and see if it will work then.
Anyone have any experience with this?
He seemed very hesitant to take the job on not sure why?

#2 ·
Sounds like the low pressure switch. I had the same thing once and that is what it was. The low pressure kicks it on to raise the Freon pressure and the hig switch cuts it off when it reaches the correct pressure.

#3 ·
Now the compressor will not kick on even though it has power to it.
Soooooooo. If you are certain there's power to the AC clutch coil there's only one conclusion to draw. Bad AC clutch.

Under the above conditions it would seem silly to replace relays when it's known there's power to it.

#6 ·
Why replace parts trying to guess what's wrong. Jump the low pressure switch and if the AC clutch kicks in and stays on, you will know were to start.

The CCRM is an expensive part to replace for diagnostic reasons. Far smarter to test and go where the results lead.

IMO it's a mistake to assume that the Freon charge is good just because the AC kicks in from time to time.

#5 ·
Coming off the control panel, it only goes through three things, the hi pressure switch, lo pressure switch, the relay (in the ccrm), and on to the compressor. If you have voltage at the compressor, check your ground. One wire in the connector is power, the other is ground. If power and ground is good, the compressor is bad. If power isn't good, you can install a jumper in the wiring across the above three things and see I'd the compressor kicks on. If you need diagrams or wires/pins, let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.