Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag Radial Sizing (2012 Mustang GT)

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Ltngdrvr 
#1 ·
After my trip to the track last month, I learned that I am severly traction limited since adding the intake manifold and tune. Combine the extra power with a cold track and a novice skill set (I admit it), and the result wasn't all that impressive.

While I plan on going to the track again on a day where it didn't rain in the morning, I have still been debating picking up a set up used drag radials (10-15 runs left on them as I'm not at the track all that often) to help me out.

However, I am unsure of the size. Based on my current set-up, 255/40/19, I calculated (see attached spread sheet screenshot) that I have a tire height of 27.0315 inches, and figured that was a good place to start.

The tire size of 285/40/17 gives me a height of 26.97inches which is probably as close as I am going to get. This leads me to a few questions:

1) Should I be so worried about the tire height? - I have 3.73's in the car so I am at the top of 4th gear at the end of the track. I am trying to avoid the shift into 5th so I don't want switch to a tire size that will gear up??? the car.

2) If I found 285 spec tires, will they fit in the stock wheel well or will they rub?

3) Someone is selling in the classifieds new 275/50/17's drag radials . These give a height of 27.82 inches? Are these an acceptable option (see attached picture). I didn't really want to go new but maybe.

4) What Tires and brands have you used?

5) Anyone have used drag radials they would be willing to sell. If they are already mounted, its even better as I would have to source wheels as well.

Anyway, Thanks for any input you have. If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet i made, let me know in the replies (same goes if the numbers look off). Thanks again

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Manual transmission car I take it?

If so then a tire with more sidewall reduces the shock on launch helping to keep the tires from breaking loose.

To that end, try a 15" wheel/tire combo.

A 275/60-15 will be just shy of 28" tall, in a Nitto they are like 27.7" I think.

But, you might want to look at something shorter or a different gear ratio because you are already on the brink of that 4-5 shift.

#8 ·
Yes, Manual transmission car. I will look into 15inch wheel tire combos. Do you think a 275/60 will clear the stock fender openings? The car has been lowered an 1.25inches in the rear (1 inch in the front). How much will that affect tire size?

#7 ·
Good point. Even with the red line now moved to 7500rpm, Its still a close call. Now the question is how tall?

#4 ·
You need a 28" tall tire to stay out of 5th.

I'd go drag slick if you're an MT car with 3.73s and skip the DRs altogether but, if you're a novice, the slick might scare you a bit because they are unstable and you have to fly the ship all the way down the track.

I use a set of 00 Mustang 16" wheels and a 28X10X16 Hoosier slick. I have a fully loaded 3.73 BBP car. It's dead hook on good track prep a 5000 rpm clutch dump.

#9 ·
I was thinking drag radials simply because the car gets driven to the track and I would rather swap tires in my driveway than the paddock area. I am also slightly worried about the slicks sidewall rubbing on the fenders since the car is lowered 1.25 inches in the rear (1 inch front).

Then again, I've never driven a car on slicks so the unknown factor is there. .... So a 28inch tire is the way to go it seems. Thanks

#5 ·
Or, you could just get a tune that would increase your rev limiter to whatever rpm you need. When I had my 2011 GT 6M I would go through the 1/4 mile at 7,400 rpms. My rev limiter was set at 7,600 rpm's. My best e.t. was 11.98 @ 117.52 mph. It obviously worked for me.

#6 ·
When I installed the Boss 302 Intake Manifold, the tune was supposed to have changed the redline to 7500rpms. Unfortunately, I found out at the track they never did when I hit it at the end of the track in 4th. I have since had the tune updated to reflect this so that should help alleviate some of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.