Ford Mustang Forum banner

2000 mustang v6 5spd speedo/odo issue

4K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Tobias88 
#1 ·
Hi ...... just bought my first mustang ,2000 v6. 5spd

17" cobra look alike rims, lowered 2" front 1.5" rear

the speedometer reads 20mph when driving about 70mph and the odometer adds about 1 mile for every 15 miles driven ......
I have replaced the sensor on the side of the trans cause someone said that could be the issue but that did nothing.

I also read somewhere that someone said it sounds like someone could have tuned it incorrectly as far as gear/tire ratio. Idk if that has been done and don't mind going to the dealer and having the ecu reflashed to stock tune if that will work but I want to try my other options before I take it in.

Also any suggestions on a good clutch/throw out bearing set to use? I'm told they need replaced..

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and god bless

#2 ·
Also just talked to the people at the parts store and apparently there are two speed sensors?! One that is the regular OSS on the side of the trans and then they didn't know where it is but there is another that says it goes to the ECM? I guess it sends the signal to the ECM and the other sends the signal to the speedo itself... Anyone have any idea of what it could be?

#3 ·
Ok... Decided to buy a new sensor just to see if maybe the one Midas installed was faulty... And decided I'd do it instead of paying them... The sensor that I got was just like a rod with no gear on it... The one that came out had a yellow gear on it... The new one , once installed, did not work the needle didn't move at all, so I put the one with the gear back on and test drove it and obviously the same thing as before... Needle says 10 at 30 and 20 at 70 or somewhere real close to that.. Please help!!!!

#4 ·
The speed sensor that is in the car right now has a yellow "gear"(it is plastic) on the end. If I look into the hole it goes into(which is very hard to see) it looks like a metal gear up about 3/4 or so of the way up towards the top of the hole...

Any help?!?! Anyone at all!?!?!? Can anyone even see this posting?!? I'm starting to think maybe it was a waste of time joing this forum :(...

#6 ·
FWIIW, the 98 and older Mustang uses a VSS sensor.

The 99+ uses an OSS speed sensor.

The OSS sensor is a non-contact sensor. As such, there is NO GEAR to change. Speedometer adjustments have to be done with a PCM tune.

The output of the VSS and OSS sensors are NOT compatible to each other.

Soooooo If you have a 2000 MY and the transmission has a VSS sensor then likely someone has swapped the transmission from an older car. Perhaps they wired the VSS to the OSS. If so, this is your problem.

Here's some more information regarding the different speed sensors.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/140694-t-45-tail-shaft-swap.html

#9 ·
I'm not talking about the cluster I'm talking about the speed sensor itself. There is a gear on the end... But apparently there are different type sensors and the one I bought and tried was one of the two magnetic type ones and it fit in, just once installed the speedo needle did not move at all...

#10 ·
Did you read the information the T45 tail shaft swap?

The VSS sensor has a GEAR on the end.

The OSS sensor has a MAGNET on the end.

As stated before the output of the two sensors are not compatible to each other. The sensor type needs to match the tailshaft, transmission harness, and PCM. Therefore, if a VSS wiring harness is mixed to a OSS style PCM, you can expect problems.

The only way I know how to tell the wiring harness difference is by comparing the wiring colors to the wiring diagrams.

Try researching extended range SpeedCal. However, I'm not sure it will work with a 1999+ MY. However using the correct sensor for your model year will give the greatest chance of success IMO.

#11 ·
Yes I did read it, what I'm asking is how do I know if it is a t45 or t5 or 3650 or what trans it actually is? And the reason I'm confused is because yes it has the sensor with the gear on it, the other sensor( no gear just metal) was still able to fit in it just didn't fix the speedo, I had Midas install this one and did not see the original that came out to know if they installed the wrong sensor. I just want to know how I can identify this damn trans! I'm sorry I don't know **** about mustangs...

#12 ·
The force is weak on this one. Hope lost it is. <Yoda speaking>

Suggestion. Take the speed sensor out and look inside the hole. What do you see? If you see spiral gears, then the transmission is expecting a VSS sensor.

If you see the reluctor teeth (same as the ABS sensor), then the transmission is set up for an OSS sensor.

#18 ·
The force is weak on this one. Hope lost it is. <Yoda speaking>

Suggestion. Take the speed sensor out and look inside the hole. What do you see? If you see spiral gears, then the transmission is expecting a VSS sensor.

If you see the reluctor teeth (same as the ABS sensor), then the transmission is set up for an OSS sensor.
from what he said here;
Ok. Looking into the little hole the sensor goes into it looks like a metal gear... It is similar to the gears on a clock, big teeth not spiral or anything... I guess I'm stumped because I understand everyone says there is no gear supposed to be on it, when the sensor with the gear is in it somewhat works, it's keeping 1/15th of what it's actually doing(have to drive 15 miles for it to register 1, and when speedo says 10-15 you are actually doing 25-30..) but when I put the one with no gear in the needle doesn't move at all... I'm sorry I'm trying to learn more about mustangs(always been more of a Honda guy, just decided I wanted to crossover into a mans car(except I went with the v6...lol)) I really appreciate the help...
and what you said here(abs tone wheels have big wide flat 'teeth'), it sounds like the transmission is correct for the year. so it's not supposed to have one of those plastic gears in it. I don't know the physical difference between the vss and oss sensors in terms of their electrical connectors but you may want to make sure someone didn't put the mechanical one on there when its supposed to have the electrical one. Look up the parts and compare.

#14 ·
Is your question which manual transmission model is "supposed" to be in a 1998 V6 Mustang?

A 1998 V6 manual comes from the factory with a T5 configured for a VSS sensor.
A 1998 V8 manual comes from the factory with a T45 configured for a VSS sensor.
A 1998 V6 or V8 Automatic is the 4R70W configured for a VSS sensor.

Note, the V6 and V8 transmissions do NOT interchange (different bolt pattern).

#15 ·
No, I have a 2000... My question is which manual trans is it supposed to have and how do I identify which one is in it now? I don't know if it has been changed or not.. Idk why someone said somethin about a 98. I know they changed from 94-98 and 99-04. I understand try have different transmissions. I just have no idea how to know if someone put an older trans in mine or if it's got the wrong sensor in it...

#16 ·
For the 2000 model year

V6: Manual: T5OD configured for an OSS sensor
V8: Manual: T45 configured for an OSS sensor
V6 and V8: automatic: 4R70W configured for an OSS sensor.

So if your 2000 V6 MY has a T5 transmission with a VSS sensor, it's been changed.

Regarding how to tell the difference between a VSS sensor and an OSS sensor. The VSS sensor has a gear on the end.

The OSS sensor has a magnet and is a non-contact sensor.

From your previous post, the transmission came with a VSS sensor but the speedo was off. This should be expected because the PCM is expecting an OSS sensor.

Even though the OSS sensor fits, it doesn't solve the problem because:
* the OSS sensor needs to have a reluctor wheel behind it.
* the transmission wiring harness needs to match the sensor used.

The Ford service manual for the T5 appears to indicate that the speed sensor is simply slid onto the output shaft splines. The 98 manual shows a worm gear is installed. Where as the 2000 manual shows a reluctor wheel.

I don't know if there's a difference between the tail shafts. IE, could you fix this by replacing the worm gear or is a complete tail shaft swap needed.

#17 ·
Ok. Looking into the little hole the sensor goes into it looks like a metal gear... It is similar to the gears on a clock, big teeth not spiral or anything... I guess I'm stumped because I understand everyone says there is no gear supposed to be on it, when the sensor with the gear is in it somewhat works, it's keeping 1/15th of what it's actually doing(have to drive 15 miles for it to register 1, and when speedo says 10-15 you are actually doing 25-30..) but when I put the one with no gear in the needle doesn't move at all... I'm sorry I'm trying to learn more about mustangs(always been more of a Honda guy, just decided I wanted to crossover into a mans car(except I went with the v6...lol)) I really appreciate the help...

#20 ·
you bought 3 of what exactly?

#21 ·
3 of the sensors... To me looking at the one that is in the car (which what everyone is telling me is probably from an older car) and comParing it to the new sensors, the only difference is the gear on the end, which u can take off and then it's the same exact sensor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.