Ford Mustang Forum banner

replacing main and rod bearings

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  squekster 
#1 ·
Need to replace main and rod bearings due to low oil pressured, aftermarket oil gauge put in, after the car warms up the oil gauge starts to move down to about 5-10psi will not go up from 10 psi when I rev the engine. My question is do I have to remove the heads to change the bearing or do I need to remove the top end. thanks

93 mustang gt 5spd, Anderson n-21 cam, 80mm MAF, 373g, 24lbs injects, trickflow street intake, msd ignition box, 1.7rr

#2 ·
Need to replace main and rod bearings due to low oil pressured, aftermarket oil gauge put in, after the car warms up the oil gauge starts to move down to about 5-10psi will not go up from 10 psi when I rev the engine. My question is do I have to remove the heads to change the bearing or do I need to remove the top end. thanks

93 mustang gt 5spd, Anderson n-21 cam, 80mm MAF, 373g, 24lbs injects, trickflow street intake, msd ignition box, 1.7rr
Sorry for the asperity, but if you're asking questions like that I don't think you want to tackle such a job. Besides, under the conditions you just described, there's no way you'll get away with a bearing roll to fix it. Those crank journals are sand paper by now.

#3 ·
Yeah from what you're describing it would be worth considering machine work and if the block is warped enough you may have to start over on a new shortblock. If you want to save $ on labor you can get the engine out of the car, disassemble it and have a machine shop look it over. They will measure the clearances and let you know if it's serviceable or if you need a new block. They might be able to assemble new parts you bring to them and they can balance the rotating assembly there.

#4 ·
How many miles on the engine? What is the pressure when cold? and what viscosity oil are you running?. In order to do the
main and rod bearings you obviously have to pull the engine then you can replace those bearings without pulling the
heads or intake but you have to pull the plugs and remove the timing set

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.