My V8 RX-7 Build Thread - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Post My V8 RX-7 Build Thread

Well I haven't been on here much as usual because we've been moving into a new house and for those who have done it you know how that goes. Either way on the side I have been piecing together my new project a 1983 Mazda RX-7 little by little. I basically took out the motor from my running 93 LX Stang changed it to carburator and so far with the help of http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/ mounts the motor went in without any problems at all, you'd actually think that it belongs there with how well it fits. Anywho here are some pics of the project, as I go whatever problems I may encounter or custom stuff I need I will post in on here and continue to until the old girl is running. To get this party started the first problem I encountered were the headers, I bought some brand new headers from brother's performance only to find out that they would not clear the driver side steering box, so I traded those for some macs. The problem lied in the header design(see pics below). The number 6 tube on the BBK/Brother's headers comes outward while the Mac headers number 6 tube goes inward, that minor difference led me to swap my brand new headers for some used ones. Oh well ya live and you learn. Feel free to ask questions and comment, the pics aren't the best because they were snapped with my phone camera.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00507.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	92123   Click image for larger version

Name:	129-1515.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	92124   Click image for larger version

Name:	E500940.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	92125  

Single Cam Hatchback

"My nitrous jets carry more hp than your B16" :hihi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG34750 View Post
As a point of reference going from a 290 rwhp car to a 500 rwhp....

will be like riding a 500cc dirt bike and jumping on a "Busa......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Here are some pics of the mounts in the rex and one of the tranny mount outside of it. Most of the pics are from the front to the back of the car for those of you unfamiliar with the rex layout. I took some pics of the back of the valve covers so you can see what I have for space back there and additionally some pics of the motor with the passenger side header on there so you can see how that is routed as well.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00532.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	92126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00527.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	92127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00528.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	92128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00585.jpg
Views:	2150
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	92129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00586.jpg
Views:	1584
Size:	488.7 KB
ID:	92130  

Name:	IMG00593.jpg
Views:	1445
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	92131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00594.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	92132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00650.jpg
Views:	10046
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	92133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00652.jpg
Views:	1264
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	92134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00653.jpg
Views:	1439
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	92135  

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

And here are some pics of the underside with the drivetrain in there. My 8.8 that was in the stang is being narrowed and having the rx7 brackets welded as we speak hopefully I'll have it back by the end of the week. Also are some pics of some miscellaneous items you will need such as the fuel pump, the throttle cable kit, etc. As I go with all the little extras I will add them.

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Ok dont know what happened with the pics, but it's not letting me post anymore?

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
GT Member
5.0L Member

Nice work! I cant want to see this thing running! My two most favorite cars merged into one. After owning several 1st gen RX-7's then going to the 5.0 this is like a walk through my past and present of cars I have owned and modded, Except all mixed up into one monster. I still blow peoples minds when I give them the thumbs up to an RX-7 as I'm driving a 5.0
Even if its a beat up stock 1980 RX-7 I still throw out a

1990 LX, Vortech Sc-Trim, UPR Power Pipe, C&L 76mm MAF, DIY ported upper, MAC 70mm T/B, BBK Equal length shorties, BBK O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters with Dumps, FRPP 4.10 gears, Strange 10 Way Shocks, BBK Springs, Electric Fan, 130 Amp Alt, FRPP Plug Wires, MSD Cap, MSD Coil.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Ford90LX View Post
My two most favorite cars merged into one.
I was think the same thing.....

I owned a '83 RX7 of course it wasn't stock.......

Had a good friend who the general manager of the mazda dealership & president of the local RX7 club.....

ISMA body kit and suspension work .......

Did a lot of autocrossing back in the day........:kooky:

It was just a great car to play with........

Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.......

Looks you have great jump on the project & good luck with it......
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

hellllll yeah! bout time you started this thread. been waitin since i saw a pic.

looking good!

you have anything planned for the bodywork? you gonna keep it stock looking or fix it up?
maybe an extreme deminsions m1 bodykit...those arent too flashy

ohhh, almost forgot. do you have the bumper mounted license plate or trunk? the rear lights look cooler if the plate is on the bumper. i know they changed the lights b4 the 2nd gen, just not sure what year

currently without pony
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Ford90LX View Post
Nice work! I cant want to see this thing running! My two most favorite cars merged into one. After owning several 1st gen RX-7's then going to the 5.0 this is like a walk through my past and present of cars I have owned and modded, Except all mixed up into one monster. I still blow peoples minds when I give them the thumbs up to an RX-7 as I'm driving a 5.0
Even if its a beat up stock 1980 RX-7 I still throw out a
Quote:
I was think the same thing.....

I owned a '83 RX7 of course it wasn't stock.......

Had a good friend who the general manager of the mazda dealership & president of the local RX7 club.....

ISMA body kit and suspension work .......

Did a lot of autocrossing back in the day........:kooky:

It was just a great car to play with........

Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.......

Looks you have great jump on the project & good luck with it......
Thanks for the comments guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy86 View Post
hellllll yeah! bout time you started this thread. been waitin since i saw a pic.

looking good!

you have anything planned for the bodywork? you gonna keep it stock looking or fix it up?
maybe an extreme deminsions m1 bodykit...those arent too flashy

ohhh, almost forgot. do you have the bumper mounted license plate or trunk? the rear lights look cooler if the plate is on the bumper. i know they changed the lights b4 the 2nd gen, just not sure what year

Thanks man, my license plate is on the bumper, it was the early models (79-? my favorites) that had the license plate in between the rear lights. For now I plan on leaving the body stock, in the future I plan on adding a wrap around spoiler they sell for these cars that at first I couldn't stand but now has grown on me along with a front air dam with small fog lights. Once I get my rear and axles I'll throw the weld wheels off of my stang on it, should wake up the outside quite a bit

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010
PONY Member

I would check out parts built for the Monster Miata, I bet they would do you some good(headers). I've been kicking the Miata idea around since my Merc was totaled, I can use the drivetrain to build the Miata.

Georgia has a new term for me..... Super Speeder.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Are you going to use 13" panasports cause I think those are the only rims that look good on that car

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
I would check out parts built for the Monster Miata, I bet they would do you some good(headers). I've been kicking the Miata idea around since my Merc was totaled, I can use the drivetrain to build the Miata.
I found that the macs work I already test fitted them, the granny's site has an awesome amount of info on it, hell they even show you how to wire it for efi if you want to. As for the merc, hell you have the drivetrain go for it! I wouldn't have minded a miata but the early rx7 shells are so cheap and I just happen to love that body style so I jumped on it. Imagine the look on my wife's face when I explained to her that I was taking apart a perfectly running car to make another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf stang View Post
Are you going to use 13" panasports cause I think those are the only rims that look good on that car

No I'm going with the welds off of my mustang since this car will be seeing straight line racing. I've never seen the panasport rims before though.

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member

Cool build. I don't this years ago with a 350. We built our own solid mounts. Set in nicely. We were stuck with cast manifolds though. Basically this was a throw together build. The drive shaft from the RX7 had the perfect outside diameter to fit inside of a camaro drive shaft. We had it welded and balanced. Kept the RX7 rear end and 13" tires. LOL, at 85mph the rpms were way up there. I think the trans was a T350 trans.

Wish I had another RX7, I'd definately put a 5.0 in it.

Nice job an keep up the good work.

89 Coupe
347 in progress
PONY Member

My granny kit is sitting in my shed. I bought a 1985 gsl-se for the purpose of building it, as well as the motor I have now. I got as far as reversing the crossmember and I just stopped myself. I realized three things..
1. The project needed a lot more custom work than I knew how to do at the time - I wanted EFI with A/C and cruise control.
2. Worm gear steering in a 11 second car is not my cup of tea.
3. I really did not want to go that fast.

Instead I sold the project car, kept the motor and put it in a pickup truck. 13 seconds is fast enough for my taste.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
Cool build. I don't this years ago with a 350. We built our own solid mounts. Set in nicely. We were stuck with cast manifolds though. Basically this was a throw together build. The drive shaft from the RX7 had the perfect outside diameter to fit inside of a camaro drive shaft. We had it welded and balanced. Kept the RX7 rear end and 13" tires. LOL, at 85mph the rpms were way up there. I think the trans was a T350 trans.

Wish I had another RX7, I'd definately put a 5.0 in it.

Nice job an keep up the good work.
Thanks alot,I'm planning on having my full fuel system done by this week. The granny kit has you sitting on regular rubber mounts so vibrations should be down to a minimum. That's crazy that your rear end held up to the 350, on a previous project we broke the pinion gear on our other rx7 with a street ported 12A motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceiver View Post
My granny kit is sitting in my shed. I bought a 1985 gsl-se for the purpose of building it, as well as the motor I have now. I got as far as reversing the crossmember and I just stopped myself. I realized three things..
1. The project needed a lot more custom work than I knew how to do at the time - I wanted EFI with A/C and cruise control.
2. Worm gear steering in a 11 second car is not my cup of tea.
3. I really did not want to go that fast.

Instead I sold the project car, kept the motor and put it in a pickup truck. 13 seconds is fast enough for my taste.

Yeah the funny part is putting the engine in is the easy part, not really in much of custom work but there are a bunch of little parts that you have to get. Me since I know I'm going to be in the 440-480 rwhp range I now find myself doing a whole fuel system complete with a fuel sump to avoid any future headaches. I still have plenty to do but I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully low 11's high 10's will be in my future.

Single Cam Hatchback

Quote:

RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by samotrx7 View Post
Hopefully low 11's high 10's will be in my future.

Why don't you buy my 347 and drop in there.....:?:

i think it will run the number for you.......

i'm ready to build a 408+ turbo car......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page