Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustang Talk General Discussion Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 11-29-2010   #1 (permalink)
MyPony1992 is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

MyPony1992's Country Flag  View MyPony1992's 8 photos
Moncton   New Brunswick
MyPony1992 is on a distinguished road
Default How to hide Wires in an Engine Bay?

Hi Guys,

Is there someone who can guide me where to start and how to get rid of most of the wires under the hood. I would like to have a nice and clean engine bay and have no idea where to route all the wires. My Pony is a 1992 now carburated with no inner fender guards anymore, was like that when I bought it!
Would be nice if there's a link or any places where I could find guidelines or idea lol...

Thank's guys...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2010   #2 (permalink)
302Feen is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

302Feen's Country Flag  View 302Feen's 71 photos
Norman   Oklahoma
302Feen is on a distinguished road

Try this link...

soniccherry.com | Supercharged '92 Mustang 'vert

- "True Hot-Rods don't have valve covers!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 11-29-2010   #3 (permalink)
ALMOST STK is offline BOSS Member

5.0L Member

ALMOST STK's Country Flag
Prunedale   California
ALMOST STK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPony1992 View Post
Hi Guys,

Is there someone who can guide me where to start and how to get rid of most of the wires under the hood. I would like to have a nice and clean engine bay and have no idea where to route all the wires. My Pony is a 1992 now carburated with no inner fender guards anymore, was like that when I bought it!
Would be nice if there's a link or any places where I could find guidelines or idea lol...

Thank's guys...
My old site is down with my write-up and pictures of how I routed thing when I hid my wires and vacuum lines so this is about the best I can do for you for right now. If you need more information or are looking for something more specific let me know.

Hopefully this helps?

WIRE HIDING 101
Disconnect the battery; jack up which side of the car you want to work on (or both sides). Use jack stands or something similar to support the car. Remove the tire and then remove the plastic fender liner.
To remove your plastic outer wheel well liners there are just a few screws in the outer fender lip and 1 or 2 that hold the plastic liner in place under the bottom attaching it to the floor panel? There are also a couple of plastic plugs that need to be removed and thatís about it. Then take your hand and hit the plastic liner in an upward motion which should help release the liner, then just pull it out of your way.
Step One: The Basics
To remove your plastic outer wheel well liners there are just a few screws in the outer fender lip and 1 or 2 that hold the plastic liner in place under the bottom attaching it to the floor panel? There are also a couple of plastic plugs that need to be removed and thatís about it. Then take your hand and hit the plastic liner in an upward motion which should help release the liner, then just pull it out of your way. Some people have removed there fenders for easier access, in my case I didnít. Itís just that I didnít want to deal with re aligning of my fenders later is the reason I removed the plastic liner which would have to be removed any way if you remove your fenders. This way I was able to see and access the hole on the back of the Strut Towers to get the connectors and wire through. It also made it easier for me to tie wrap the harness up and out of the way, along with being able to put the solenoid as high as possible on the inside fender, keeping it as high and dry as possible.
Step Two: Wire Time
All the wires and the harness will fit through the back of the strut tower. You donít have to remove any wire from any of the connectors. All you need to do is unplug (pull apart) the connector or deal with individual wires that were individual to start with.
First mark both ends of any connector that youíre separating, it will make it easier when you start to put thing back together, a camera is also a big help when it comes time remembering how thing went. Most people seem to forget what wires went where when it comes to the solenoid/ starter relay wires just mark each wire and its location and it will make life easier later.
Next separate the two ends on the different connectors then run the largest connector through the Strut Tower first then followed by the next largest and so on. All the connectors will fit through the hole without having to enlarge the hole in the back of the Strut Tower. It may seem that not all the connectors and wires will fit in to the hole when you first try but with a little finesse everything will go through. It does help if you have someone help you feed the connector and wires through the hole while you pull them through but itís not necessary.
Now that you have all the wires and connector in the inner fender check where you want to put your solenoid/ starter relay (I found that the farther you go forward with the solenoid/ starter relay and related wires the easier it when you do the other harness such as the headlight harness) making sure all the wires will re attach to the solenoid install the solenoid and then just tie wrap the rest of the harness as high as possible. You will be able to see place on the upper fenders where you can run the tie wraps. Another reason for keeping the harness as high as possible is so when you so when you reinstall the plastic wheel liner they fit like they use to. You can also run your hood release cable through the back of the Strut Tower if you like.If you weld the holes up on the inner fenders, Iíd suggest not running your MAF wire harness through the hole in the Strut Tower. You wonít have enough wire to hook it back up without cutting and splicing. Just my $.02
Headlight harness: I also ran my head light and turn signal wire harness on the driverís side inner fender. The only thing you have to do with the light harness is to make a couple of holes for the ground wire. Just run the light harness in front of the radiator and under the radiator bracket.
Main Harness: As for the main harness that runs on top of the pinch weld at the fire wall, I found the easiest method to hide this harness was to remove all the old original plastic shielding (which measures almost 1-1/4) and snuggly rewrap the main harness with black electrical tape, which will then make the same main harness less than 7/8 in thickness which can easily be tucked under the pinch weld, basically being hid out of sight.
Side note; As long as you have the old plastic shielding off main harness which expose the wires to the passenger side and drivers side try pulling those wires to the side the wires need to go, either drivers side or passenger side. This helps in lengthening those wires so that later you shouldnít need to cut and lengthen any wires.
As long as your re routing the main harness too under the pinch weld you can also re route the 2 brake lines that run with the main harness on top of the pinch weld to the underside of the pinch weld by just rolling them under the pinch weld and gently pressing the against the main harness that you just placed under the pinch weld. The brake line also helps hold the main harness tight to the underside of the pinch weld.
Once youíve got your entire harnesses together and reconnected hook up the battery and start your car to make sure everything works. Next strap the harnesses in place, reinstall the plastic liner etc. etc. if youíre welding up the inner fenders do the welding first, then reroute your wires. If your wonder I only had to cut and splice 2 different set of wire when I re routed my wires. One set to the A/C compressor and the other set to the Overflow bottle. You may also need a longer positive side battery cable depending on where your battery is located and how you want route the battery cable, and possibly longer starter cable again depend now you want to route the starter cable.

Step Three: Vacuum Lines
As long as you have the plastic fender off now would be the time to hide the (2) Vacuum tree on the upper fire wall. This can be done by putting the vacuum trees under the fenders, one on each side and running new lines through the hole in the inner fenders. Use the factory hole no need to drill new holes. Take the Large Vacuum Tree (Lettering Left to right) S(source), B/R (capped), A/C (air conditioning) S/C(driver side fender), B/B (brake booster) that on the firewall by the brake booster and put it under the driver side fender close to the Speed Control Module, or up high in the fender well as possible.
All you need to do is extend (2) of the rubber hoses (Manifold, Brake Booster) and shorten the hose that comes from the Speed Control Module (cruise control) which is a black looking ball under the driverís side fender. The other smaller vacuum module (not sure what is called) thatís on the passenger side upper fire wall close to the hood hinge. I moved to under the passenger side fender. The basic purpose is for vacuum module is for to the A/C.
I bought a package of air shock tubing (hard plastic line use for filling air shocks $10) because I couldnít find the smaller hard plastic tubing. The air shock tubing has approximately the same inside and outside diameter as the factory plastic tubing and fits snugly on 3/16 wiper tubing (7/32 ID), I also bought approximately 12Ē of 3/16 rubber wiper tubing. Or you could buy 3/16 (7/32 ID) rubber wiper tubing to do it all. Itís just harder to hide the larger diameter rubber hose under the pinch weld.
I cut the factory hard plastic line leaving approximately 3/8 of the plastic line stick past to the stock rubber boot, I then cut a 3/4 ď piece of wiper tubing to couple the 2 ends together. Youíll need some sort of lube (nothing with and oil base) to couple the factory end with rubber boot to the air shock tubing, believe me itís a snug fit. Take a line (hard plastic or rubber) from the larger vacuum tree that youíve put under the drivers side fender and run the line from the tree marked as A/C under the pinch weld to the passenger side through the factory hole in the inner fenders and connect it to the smaller vacuum module. Then take another line (hard plastic or rubber) and run it from the vacuum module back through the same hole and under the pinch weld to the vacuum line that comes out beside the heater lines.

Disconnect the battery; jack up which side of the car you want to work on (or both sides). Use jack stands or something similar to support the car. Remove the tire and then remove the plastic fender liner.
To remove your plastic outer wheel well liners there are just a few screws in the outer fender lip and 1 or 2 that hold the plastic liner in place under the bottom attaching it to the floor panel? There are also a couple of plastic plugs that need to be removed and thatís about it. Then take your hand and hit the plastic liner in an upward motion which should help release the liner, then just pull it out of your way.
Step One: The Basics
To remove your plastic outer wheel well liners there are just a few screws in the outer fender lip and 1 or 2 that hold the plastic liner in place under the bottom attaching it to the floor panel? There are also a couple of plastic plugs that need to be removed and thatís about it. Then take your hand and hit the plastic liner in an upward motion which should help release the liner, then just pull it out of your way. Some people have removed there fenders for easier access, in my case I didnít. Itís just that I didnít want to deal with re aligning of my fenders later is the reason I removed the plastic liner which would have to be removed any way if you remove your fenders. This way I was able to see and access the hole on the back of the Strut Towers to get the connectors and wire through. It also made it easier for me to tie wrap the harness up and out of the way, along with being able to put the solenoid as high as possible on the inside fender, keeping it as high and dry as possible.
Step Two: Wire Time
All the wires and the harness will fit through the back of the strut tower. You donít have to remove any wire from any of the connectors. All you need to do is unplug (pull apart) the connector or deal with individual wires that were individual to start with.
First mark both ends of any connector that youíre separating, it will make it easier when you start to put thing back together, a camera is also a big help when it comes time remembering how thing went. Most people seem to forget what wires went where when it comes to the solenoid/ starter relay wires just mark each wire and its location and it will make life easier later.
Next separate the two ends on the different connectors then run the largest connector through the Strut Tower first then followed by the next largest and so on. All the connectors will fit through the hole without having to enlarge the hole in the back of the Strut Tower. It may seem that not all the connectors and wires will fit in to the hole when you first try but with a little finesse everything will go through. It does help if you have someone help you feed the connector and wires through the hole while you pull them through but itís not necessary.
Now that you have all the wires and connector in the inner fender check where you want to put your solenoid/ starter relay (I found that the farther you go forward with the solenoid/ starter relay and related wires the easier it when you do the other harness such as the headlight harness) making sure all the wires will re attach to the solenoid install the solenoid and then just tie wrap the rest of the harness as high as possible. You will be able to see place on the upper fenders where you can run the tie wraps. Another reason for keeping the harness as high as possible is so when you so when you reinstall the plastic wheel liner they fit like they use to. You can also run your hood release cable through the back of the Strut Tower if you like.If you weld the holes up on the inner fenders, Iíd suggest not running your MAF wire harness through the hole in the Strut Tower. You wonít have enough wire to hook it back up without cutting and splicing. Just my $.02
Headlight harness: I also ran my head light and turn signal wire harness on the driverís side inner fender. The only thing you have to do with the light harness is to make a couple of holes for the ground wire. Just run the light harness in front of the radiator and under the radiator bracket.
Main Harness: As for the main harness that runs on top of the pinch weld at the fire wall, I found the easiest method to hide this harness was to remove all the old original plastic shielding (which measures almost 1-1/4) and snuggly rewrap the main harness with black electrical tape, which will then make the same main harness less than 7/8 in thickness which can easily be tucked under the pinch weld, basically being hid out of sight.

Side note; As long as you have the old plastic shielding off main harness which expose the wires to the passenger side and drivers side try pulling those wires to the side the wires need to go, either drivers side or passenger side. This helps in lengthening those wires so that later you shouldnít need to cut and lengthen any wires.

As long as your re routing the main harness too under the pinch weld you can also re route the 2 brake lines that run with the main harness on top of the pinch weld to the underside of the pinch weld by just rolling them under the pinch weld and gently pressing the against the main harness that you just placed under the pinch weld. The brake line also helps hold the main harness tight to the underside of the pinch weld.
Once youíve got your entire harnesses together and reconnected hook up the battery and start your car to make sure everything works. Next strap the harnesses in place, reinstall the plastic liner etc. etc. if youíre welding up the inner fenders do the welding first, then reroute your wires. If your wonder I only had to cut and splice 2 different sets of wire when I re routed my wires. One set to the A/C compressor and the other set to the Overflow bottle. You may also need a longer positive side battery cable depending on where your battery is located and how you want route the battery cable, and possibly longer starter cable again depend now you want to route the starter cable.

Step Three: Vacuum Lines
As long as you have the plastic fender off now would be the time to hide the (2) Vacuum tree on the upper fire wall. This can be done by putting the vacuum trees under the fenders, one on each side and running new lines through the hole in the inner fenders. Use the factory hole no need to drill new holes. Take the Large Vacuum Tree (Lettering Left to right) S(source), B/R (capped), A/C (air conditioning) S/C(driver side fender), B/B (brake booster) that on the firewall by the brake booster and put it under the driver side fender close to the Speed Control Module, or up high in the fender well as possible.
All you need to do is extend (2) of the rubber hoses (Manifold, Brake Booster) and shorten the hose that comes from the Speed Control Module (cruise control) which is a black looking ball under the driverís side fender. The other smaller vacuum module (not sure what is called) thatís on the passenger side upper fire wall close to the hood hinge. I moved to under the passenger side fender. The basic purpose is for vacuum module is for to the A/C.
I bought a package of air shock tubing (hard plastic line use for filling air shocks $10) because I couldnít find the smaller hard plastic tubing. The air shock tubing has approximately the same inside and outside diameter as the factory plastic tubing and fits snugly on 3/16 wiper tubing (7/32 ID), I also bought approximately 12Ē of 3/16 rubber wiper tubing. Or you could buy 3/16 (7/32 ID) rubber wiper tubing to do it all. Itís just harder to hide the larger diameter rubber hose under the pinch weld.
I cut the factory hard plastic line leaving approximately 3/8 of the plastic line stick past to the stock rubber boot, I then cut a 3/4 ď piece of wiper tubing to couple the 2 ends together. Youíll need some sort of lube (nothing with and oil base) to couple the factory end with rubber boot to the air shock tubing, believe me itís a snug fit. Take a line (hard plastic or rubber) from the larger vacuum tree that youíve put under the drivers side fender and run the line from the tree marked as A/C under the pinch weld to the passenger side through the factory hole in the inner fenders and connect it to the smaller vacuum module. Then take another line (hard plastic or rubber) and run it from the vacuum module back through the same hole and under the pinch weld to the vacuum line that comes out beside the heater lines.

Some Pictures of how things were relocated into the fenders.

Wire Hiding pictures by almoststock - Photobucket
Unread 11-29-2010   #4 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Prunedale   California

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Feen View Post
I was the one who helped Sonic Cherry (Dave) clean up his wires and vacuum lines in his engine bay.
Unread 11-29-2010   #5 (permalink)

Norman   Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST STK View Post
I was the one who helped Sonic Cherry (Dave) clean up his wires and vacuum lines in his engine bay.
It looks great!

I love seeing a nice organized engine bay. One of the worst sites is lifting up the hood and seeing nothing but old wires and hoses laying across everything.

I am still wanting to clean up my engine bay. But I decided just to wait for my engine rebuild and do it while the engine is out. I figured it would be much easier that way.
I tried doing this to my car a few months ago (you actually provided me with a couple of links to help me out) but all I ended up doing was hiding my hood latch cable. I had no idea where to start or even what to do. But I'm sure that when the engine is out it'll be much easier.

Hope that link helps the OP. Plus I'm sure there are a few others on here that will chime in soon that have done this same thing already.
Unread 11-29-2010   #6 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Prunedale   California

I do remember us talking about hiding your wires a few months ago, and it's to bad that you've only gotten as far as hiding your hood latch cable because it's really not that hard to hide the wire harnesses.
No doubt it's a little easier to reroute your wires with the engine out but it can also be done with the engine done.
It's also a little easier to work with the stringing and fastening wires in the fenders with the fenders off which I didn't do the 1st time I rerouted my wires but it can be done. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Quote:
I love seeing a nice organized engine bay. One of the worst sites is lifting up the hood and seeing nothing but old wires and hoses laying across everything.
I can't agree more and why I felt I needed to clean up my engine bay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tock/ASB04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tock/ASB07.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...k/DSC01003.jpg
Unread 11-29-2010   #7 (permalink)
88BlownGT is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

88BlownGT's Country Flag  View 88BlownGT's HomePage
Dover   Delaware
88BlownGT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 88BlownGT

I can't wait to do mine.
BBK 1 5/8th Chrome LTs, BBK Shorty H Pipe, Hooker mufflers, K&N Panel Filter, MSD Blaster Coil, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, MSD Super Conductors, March Underdrive Pulleys, AC/Smog Delete, Weight Reduction, MT ET Drags, Electric Fan, Steeda Tri-Ax, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP 3.73s, T5-Z
Unread 11-30-2010   #8 (permalink)
trip1019 is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

trip1019's Country Flag
Fort Mill   South Carolina
trip1019 is on a distinguished road

got my next project!!!!
'86 STANG VERT. 302, GT40p's TRICKFLOW STREET HEAT,TRICKFLOW STAGE 1 CAM, 65 MM THROTTLE BODY/EGR SPACER, FORD MOTORSPORT 1.6 ROLLERS, 2 1/2 PYPES VIOLATOR EXHAUST, MAF CONV., SN95 CONVERSION, 3:55 GEARS
Unread 12-01-2010   #9 (permalink)
1ATony is offline Rookie

1ATony's Country Flag
mass   Alabama
1ATony is on a distinguished road

I need to fly Almost stock over here to do the green machine
Unread 12-03-2010   #10 (permalink)

Norman   Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST STK View Post
I do remember us talking about hiding your wires a few months ago, and it's to bad that you've only gotten as far as hiding your hood latch cable because it's really not that hard to hide the wire harnesses.
No doubt it's a little easier to reroute your wires with the engine out but it can also be done with the engine done.
It's also a little easier to work with the stringing and fastening wires in the fenders with the fenders off which I didn't do the 1st time I rerouted my wires but it can be done. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

I can't agree more and why I felt I needed to clean up my engine bay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tock/ASB04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tock/ASB07.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...k/DSC01003.jpg
Wiring/electrical is my weak spot when it comes to cars (or just about anything actually. :hihi, so that's why I'll just wait til the engine is out and my dad can help me.

Last time I messed with something electric was when I repaired my garage door opener... After it was all put back together I went to plug it in, as soon as I plugged it in the thing blew up and I fell off the ladder cuz it scared the bejeebees out of me! Ended up pinching one of the wires when I put it back together and it blew circuit board up into pieces.
Unread 12-03-2010   #11 (permalink)
Brutal Metal is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

Brutal Metal's Country Flag  View Brutal Metal's 3 photos
Largo   Florida
Brutal Metal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal

Black split loom and heat sink works wonders!
Unread 06-14-2012   #12 (permalink)
DavidEwers is offline Rookie

DavidEwers's Country Flag
Torrance, CA   California
DavidEwers is on a distinguished road

I know this is a real old posting, I have just one really easy question. Do I have to remove the GT trim to remove the inner liner

Thanks
Unread 06-15-2012   #13 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Prunedale   California

^^^ No you don't have to remove the GT trim.
Unread 06-16-2012   #14 (permalink)
DavidEwers is offline Rookie

DavidEwers's Country Flag
Torrance, CA   California
DavidEwers is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply on this late posting.I figured out that you do not have to remove the trim but I had to loosen it since Ford in all its wisdom had two of the screws that held in the inner liner partly covered by the trim
Unread 04-09-2013   #15 (permalink)
poetnprophet is offline PONY Member

poetnprophet's Country Flag  View poetnprophet's 37 photos
hayward   California
poetnprophet is on a distinguished road

I know this is hella old, but can't thank you enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164