Difference between 5.0 and 5.0 HO - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004
Difference between 5.0 and 5.0 HO

I've got a buddy needing a 5.0 HO and I think my uncle has one but I don't know the difference. I mean I know how to tell a regular 302, but I've got no idea about the HO's, so if ya'll could tell me how to figure out if it's an HO or not, you'd be helping my uncle sell the motor and my friend gain the motor. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004
5.0L Member
All 302's look the same. Any 302 can be made into a H.O. If your asking which one came in the Mustangs (fox body) then the answer is: carbed engines 1983-85 Fuel injected 86 to 95. You can get a Boss 302 from a 70 Mustang, that would be considered an H.0.
But like I was mentioning, any 302 with good compression, the correct cam and heads will make very decent power.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004
GT Member
5.0L Member
The block, if thats all you're looking for, should be no different. The difference comes in the roller cam, and the long block portion, ie: heads, intake, fuel delivery, etc...

Cardinal Red '88 GT 5 speed, 99 Contour Electric Dual Fans, Battery relocated, 130 amp alternator, 76mm Mass Air conversion, 75mm BBK throttle body, 5.0L .030 over, BBK SSI, AFR 185cc heads, Comp Cams XE276HR, BBK ceramic longtubes, Spec Stage II clutch, MM front/rear coil overs, MM front LCA's, MM manual brake conversion, Flaming River Manual Rack, 94-04 Cobra front brakes, 99 Cobra IRS, Torsen T2R differential, 3:55 gears
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004
Aren't mustang blocks stamped Y and truck blocks stamped X or did I get that backwards?

87' notch 331ci w/juice on board NOT anymore she's going turbo!
02' Lightning dyno proven 497hp and 535tq
91' LX bone stock w/100hp flowmasters SOLD!
88' coupe flowmasters and little bolt ons
85' coupe awaiting a 4.6 mod motor swap out of the old 01GT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004
Yeah, I know, and I know the firing order is that of a 351W on the HO's. But I just need to be able to tell the difference. My uncle's 302 came from an 85 Crown Vic. So we know it's around that time that Ford made the HO's, we're just not sure if it is one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
Probably not, because it would be a roller motor. I don't think even the cop
cars got roller motors.

'88 GT convertible, 5 speed, 3:08 gears, A9L Mass Air conversion. Mac shorty headers and H-pipe, Magnaflow catback.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member
Send a message via Yahoo to dave 02 gt
ford put the HO on the stang motor so we could tell the diff from all of the outher 302 car motors.
ford used a truck 302 motor in the stang. that is what a ford rep told me in nashville in april.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004
PONY Member
2.3L Member
Send a message via AIM to Terrible Juan
HO definitely has a different cam and firing order, and I believe bigger injectors (19lbs).

1991 Thunderbird SC: I <3 Blower Whine.
1993 LX 2.3 Convertible: Less than half of a 5.0
1989 LX 5.0 Hatch: Sold!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004
I was hoping there is some kind of physical difference.
Originally Posted by dave 02 gt
ford put the HO on the stang motor so we could tell the diff from all of the outher 302 car motors.
ford used a truck 302 motor in the stang. that is what a ford rep told me in nashville in april.
is there any differnece in horse power?
5.0L Member
On my 95 Mustang GT, the top of the motor says in big letters and numbers, 5.0 H.O.

1995 GT 5.0
5.0L Member
I have a 1990 5.0L HO, i kno there is an aftermarket cam in it but im not too sure wut it is. Is there any way to figure this out without takin the engine apart?

I also have a clutch problem, i put a clutch kit in my car to reduce the stifness of my clutch pedal but i no feel a rubbing or binding everytime the pedal is pressed/released. Anyone have a clue wut this could be?
Made Member
5.0L Member
This thread is almost 5 years old. :hihi:

1990 LX, Vortech Sc-Trim, UPR Power Pipe, C&L 76mm MAF, DIY ported upper, MAC 70mm T/B, BBK Equal length shorties, BBK O/R H-pipe, Flowmasters with Dumps, FRPP 4.10 gears, Strange 10 Way Shocks, BBK Springs, Electric Fan, 130 Amp Alt, FRPP Plug Wires, MSD Cap, MSD Coil.
Smile H.O. vice 302

Not sure if you still need the info but here goes anyways. I'm sure alot of you out there knows way more than i do but this is what my take is of figuring out a HO from an ordnary 302. one of the fastest give aways for a HO is the factory headers. you just would need to make sure they were what came with the car from the factory. the next give away is the aluminum valve cover. I've never seen a 302 with factory aluminum covers unless they were on a boss motor or HO. the next option is to check the firing order which should be
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 which is due to the different Cam that is in there. Plain 302's are 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 (same as the 289). everything esle on the HO and 302 s are the same. same block, same stroke, same bore. good luck
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page