Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > 5.0 Mustang > 5.0L Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

5.0 Mustang Talk General Discussion Forum

5.0L Talk | 5.0L Tech | 94-95 Tech | 1979-1993   1994   1995   Upload Pictures | Timeslips | Power Adders | Mustang Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-10-2012   #1 (permalink)
LauraA is offline Rookie

LauraA's Country Flag
Charlottesville   Virginia
LauraA is on a distinguished road
Default Accident Estimate - Looking for a replacement wheel

My 1993 LX 5.0 was side swiped while parked this past weekend. Biggest damage is to the front driver's side wheel which is bent. (Side view mirror needs to be replaced and there is what seems like minor body damage).

I'm waiting anxiously for the claims adjuster to take a look at the vehicle, but I am searching for a replacement for the wheel and would hate for it not to exactly match the other 3. I believe the wheels are original, but "not standard", but have no idea how to search for them or what size they are. Any tips?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Accident Estimate - Looking for a replacement wheel-530555_10100730561899906_1251609506_n.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2012   #2 (permalink)
fast9050 is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member

fast9050's Country Flag  View fast9050's 6 photos
Roanoke Valley   Virginia
fast9050 is on a distinguished road

What does that center cap show...Enkei? I can't read it.

I don't believe that is any type of factory wheel, btw. What size tires do have on the car? They look kinda small.

I'm looking at your rear wheel well, and the stock tire/wheel wasn't designed to sit so far inside the wheel well.
306, AFR 165s, cold air induction, 73mm C&L MAF, 70mm TB, Kenne Bell 2.1L Blowzilla and standard inlet w/12lb pulley, 30lb injectors, 1.7 roller rockers, E cam, BBK short tubes, Flowmasters, 3.27 rear, panhard bar, Cobra brakes, subframe connectors, coilovers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-10-2012   #3 (permalink)
Khralen is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

Khralen's Country Flag  View Khralen's 72 photos
Enfield   Connecticut
Khralen is on a distinguished road

Yea I have never seen that wheel before, and that black/chrome finish doesn't look like anything Ford would put on there Mustangs. Especially the rivets, I am going to say after markets. When you talk to the claims adjuster see if you can get them to pay for a new set of 4 wheels and reuse the tires you have on, assuming the front tire there isn't damaged and it's just the rim that is.
Sucks that someone was careless enough to do that kind of damage to your wheel, I hate people.
-Rebuilt motor -Alpine stereo deck -12" Pioneer Sub -Two-toned interior (reflective silver/black) -SR Performance Air filter-FlowMaster Exhaust -MSD distributor and rotor -MSD coil pack -Ford Racing spark plug wires
Unread 12-10-2012   #4 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khralen View Post
Yea I have never seen that wheel before, and that black/chrome finish doesn't look like anything Ford would put on there Mustangs. Especially the rivets, I am going to say after markets. When you talk to the claims adjuster see if you can get them to pay for a new set of 4 wheels and reuse the tires you have on, assuming the front tire there isn't damaged and it's just the rim that is.
Sucks that someone was careless enough to do that kind of damage to your wheel, I hate people.
That's what I was thinking...four new wheels!!
306, AFR 165s, cold air induction, 73mm C&L MAF, 70mm TB, Kenne Bell 2.1L Blowzilla and standard inlet w/12lb pulley, 30lb injectors, 1.7 roller rockers, E cam, BBK short tubes, Flowmasters, 3.27 rear, panhard bar, Cobra brakes, subframe connectors, coilovers
Unread 12-10-2012   #5 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Enfield   Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast9050 View Post
That's what I was thinking...four new wheels!!
You can get take-offs and stuff like that on the super cheap. My dad goes through tires like crazy, and rims too from the occasional curb rash and just the finish being worn down (he has put 120,000 on it in the past 3 years). Every other time he gets his wheels swapped, instead of paying $600 for new tired he just goes on eBay or Craigslist and finds some take-offs from 2010 + (they fit his 2008, same spacing) and pays MAYBE $50 more after shipping and gets tires and rims with less than 200 miles on them. (and then he can turn around and sell his old rims for around $200, so it's actually cheaper than just getting tires) Just one of the perks to having a newer car that younger kids also buy and right after buying the car put on different rims and sell the new factory's for cheap.
-Rebuilt motor -Alpine stereo deck -12" Pioneer Sub -Two-toned interior (reflective silver/black) -SR Performance Air filter-FlowMaster Exhaust -MSD distributor and rotor -MSD coil pack -Ford Racing spark plug wires
Unread 12-10-2012   #6 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Quote:
You can get take-offs and stuff like that on the super cheap. My dad goes through tires like crazy, and rims too from the occasional curb rash and just the finish being worn down (he has put 120,000 on it in the past 3 years). Every other time he gets his wheels swapped, instead of paying $600 for new tired he just goes on eBay or Craigslist and finds some take-offs from 2010 + (they fit his 2008, same spacing) and pays MAYBE $50 more after shipping and gets tires and rims with less than 200 miles on them. (and then he can turn around and sell his old rims for around $200, so it's actually cheaper than just getting tires) Just one of the perks to having a newer car that younger kids also buy and right after buying the car put on different rims and sell the new factory's for cheap.
Sounds pretty practical.
Unread 12-10-2012   #7 (permalink)
TexasMustang is offline Banned

TexasMustang's Country Flag  View TexasMustang's 1 photo
Midlothian   Texas
TexasMustang is on a distinguished road

A hit to the wheel that hard probably damaged the steering also.
Unread 12-10-2012   #8 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Enfield   Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMustang View Post
Yea you might want to check your springs and sway bar aswell, that wheel looks pretty much the same to what mine looked like before I bought my car, impact was so bad it did that sized dent and cracked the spring in several places and folded a coil under another.
Definitely want to get an alignment at the least.
Unread 12-10-2012   #9 (permalink)
Blt2Lst is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member

Blt2Lst's Country Flag
Redondo Beach   California
Blt2Lst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMustang View Post
It may have bent the spindle also. An alignment shop should be able to check for this. Tell the adjuster you want it checked out at a shop to see what if any of the front suspension parts got damaged.
Dynomax Super Turbo
s[i]

I'm a victim of circumstance..

Unread 12-11-2012   #10 (permalink)
LauraA is offline Rookie

LauraA's Country Flag

Thanks!! Center cap says Limited. I think they are 17" wheels.

Good spot on the back wheel - just looked closely and that wheel is cracked as well and seems to be tilted a little. The passenger side rear wheel doesn't seem to be sitting that far inside the wheel well, so maybe the damage is more extensive than I thought. I don't quite understand how there isn't more damage to the body.

The car had just been aligned and got a new front tension rod to pass inspection on Friday (accident was Saturday night), so I will be sure to make sure they check out everything!
Unread 12-11-2012   #11 (permalink)

5.0L Member

You can measure from the top of your tire to the top of the fender...see what the difference is from right to left sides. Make sure your are on level ground and your front tires are pointing straight...well, as straight as you can get them. The adjuster I hope checks your upper and lower control arms, all mounting points, shocks...really everything associated with keeping your rear end square. There will be some variance, but not too much.

And like the others said, the front end in detail also. Good luck!
Unread 12-12-2012   #12 (permalink)
spdjnky_42 is offline Top Dog

5.0L Member

spdjnky_42's Country Flag  View spdjnky_42's 21 photos
St.Louis   Missouri
spdjnky_42 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to spdjnky_42

side swipped? that looks curbed to me... Insurance will most likely not put anything but factory parts back on there. You can get a check for a new factory wheel and then buy the right one. UNless this is insurance fraud. then you may not get Jack.
Unread 12-12-2012   #13 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Enfield   Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdjnky_42 View Post
side swipped? that looks curbed to me... Insurance will most likely not put anything but factory parts back on there. You can get a check for a new factory wheel and then buy the right one. UNless this is insurance fraud. then you may not get Jack.
So if you put a Corvetter body on a Mustang frame and the body gets crushed by a piano from a 4th story window the insurance company will give you a mustang body even though you have it insured with a corvette body?
Okay.
That was an extreme and random example but if you insure your car with aftermarket parts on it, the insurance company should recognize that and replace anything that is damaged in an accident with what was there seconds before the accident, not what was there when the car rolled off the lot 15+ years ago.
I also find it very hard to believe that the wheel would fold over like that from a curb unless you where doing a donut and hit it at a weird angle...
Unread 12-13-2012   #14 (permalink)
Smurf stang is offline SHELBY GT 500 Member

5.0L Member

Smurf stang's Country Flag
Miami   Florida
Smurf stang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So if you put a Corvetter body on a Mustang frame and the body gets crushed by a piano from a 4th story window the insurance company will give you a mustang body even though you have it insured with a corvette body?
Okay.
That was an extreme and random example but if you insure your car with aftermarket parts on it, the insurance company should recognize that and replace anything that is damaged in an accident with what was there seconds before the accident, not what was there when the car rolled off the lot 15+ years ago.
I also find it very hard to believe that the wheel would fold over like that from a curb unless you where doing a donut and hit it at a weird angle...
Tough call cause insurances don't usually cover aftermarket parts.

Also if it was "side swiped" where is the rest of the damage to the car? That rim is smashed and to do that kinda damage takes alot. I do not see the side of the car smashed at all so spdjnky has a valid point.
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
Unread 12-13-2012   #15 (permalink)
LauraA is offline Rookie

LauraA's Country Flag

I'm not really sure how the guy hit my car. He was mumbling incoherently and his friends that were with him (and disappeared when the cop showed up) kept saying that he hit a curb, but admitted he hit my car too (the friends said they weren't in the car with him and I had seen another car when I first looked outside so I'm not sure if that was the friends car and if it was involved in the accident or not). The other car had tons of damage and wasn't drivable which is ultimately what saved me since he tried to keep going and only made it about a block. Luckily he had insurance, so I don't think it matters what my insurance was for.

I couldn't believe there wasn't more body damage besides some mostly superficial scrapes and the side view mirror which is totally busted out (part is in the road and if you look closely you can see the top part is jagged). The insurance adjuster pointed out somethings I hadn't noticed - the car was hit hard - it slammed sideways against the curb (front passenger wheel) and the tire is badly scraped up and would probably need to be replaced. She said from the way it is sitting (drivers wheel forward and passengers wheel back) the front suspension on both sides needs to be fixed.

The insurance company has decided to total the car. The rental car will end in a week and I probably won't have the check by then, much less have had a chance to look for something else to drive before I was supposed to travel for the holidays. I could not be more sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162