Ford Mustang Forum banner

restoring 1979 cobra 5.0

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  thecarlife 
#1 · (Edited)
Me and my dad are currently restoring a 1979 mustang cobra with the v8. I would like to keep it numbers matching, so an engine swap is not an option. My goal is to get a good weekend driver that also performs. I would like to build up the engine, and hopefully get close to 300hp to the wheels. I need to know if my goal is reasonable and possible, and around how much it would cost, and what i would have to do. Thanks!

#2 ·
Yes you should be able to get those numbers. A good set of heads ( Trick Flow 170 or AFR 165 ) A mild cam and lifters, might consider going to a roller, a dual plane intake 600 Holley or Quick Fuel carb. long tube headers. You will need a lot of other parts also gaskets, head bolts push rods, just to name a few. You can price parts online at Summit Racing or Jegs or several other places. I have bought a lot of parts from Summit and Jegs both.

#4 ·
How much do you want? Then everyone can suggest parts to help get you there. Are you willing to swap cylinder heads?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I'm making 272 at the wheels with AFR165 heads and an AOD. Probably be a little more with a manual trans.

Aluminum heads with the supporting hardware (carb, exhaust, etc) should get you right around 300 if you have a manual trans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.