Ford Mustang Forum banner

89 5.0 burning to much oil 93k

653 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  brian279 
#1 ·
300 miles burns 1 qt motor got good power though any way to make it better till I can afford a crate motor?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
300 miles burns 1 qt motor got good power though any way to make it better till I can afford a crate motor?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Mine guzzles a quart every 200-250 mi. (219k abused miles). I think you'll find that most of that is going through the pcv valve just like mine. Run an oil separator; it will keep your plugs clean longer and lessen any detonation tendencies.

Reactions: wbrockstar
#7 ·
The compression rings are probably still good,its just the oil rings that are worn.Theyre usually the first ones to go.
JFYI- Oil pressure numbers, after the engine reaches operating temp during idle, is a good sign of main/rod/cam bearing condition.If oil pressure drops low during that time,it indicates the bearings are on the way out.Once pressure drops really low & the dreaded knock begins at a red light,a bearing or the bearings are down to copper.However oil weight affects oil pressure too.

You can get an oil separater already designed solely for that purpose (Steeda has a good simple model) or you can go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy one of those plastic encased filters with a drain valve used for an air compressor & install it between the pcv valve & intake vacuum fitting.

If youre gonna run 20W50,I would make sure warm weather has hit before you begin using it.20W is a little too thick at cold start for cold weather.
5W30-winter
10W40 20W50-summer
The first # is cold start weight & the second # is operating temp weight.You want it thin at startup during cold weather then thicker at operating temp.You can increase cold start weight once warmer weather hits.

Reactions: brian279
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.