Ford Mustang Forum banner

Install Convert Top?

540 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  fredfifty 
#1 ·
Any of you folks installed a convertible top for a 5.0? I hear it is not easy to do, should I attempt doing it myself? Thanks.

Randy

#3 ·
I'm considering doing the same thing. There's a video out there for $29.95 that supposedly shows the whole process. One thing I know is that if you ask this same question about seats and wiring harnesses, you'll get the "don't do it" responses from a lot of people. I'm no master mechanic, but I've recovered seats and replaced a wiring harness in a first gen Mustang and it's all about patience and perserverence.

I figure if I try and fail, as long as I don't damage the top, then I can pay someone to do it for me. I just want to hear how difficult it is from someone who's actually done it before I make that call.

#4 ·
ive did it myself on my 91 and ive never did it before. its pretty staightforward if you do your research via the internet beforehand. Ive actually got that manual that LMR sells and its good to have but i wouldnt count on it, try youtube videos and pictorial how to's...there are a ton. then hardest part (solo) is dropping the top/frame into position and aligning it, and the way i did that is that i had the top i was installing hanging from the main beams in the garage and then i would slowly lower it into place, other than that it kind of installs itself lol

i have pics, ill look for them...basically its do-able if you havent done it before as long as your mechanically inclined somewhat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.