Ford Mustang Forum banner

Need New Rack and Pinion

7K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  rehoward 
#1 ·
Starting to stock pile parts for an engine swap in my 1989 LX HO. The car has AC and will have a T5 trans when done. When I pull the engine I want to replace the rack and pinion, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Called the auto parts store and the parts lady wanted to know;

Is it TRW design or something else?
Does it have the sport suspension package?
Does it have split or solid bushings?

They offer 12 different rebuilt or new units spanning from $58 to $617! Can someone please help me figure this out? Thanks.

Randy

#2 ·
you want the one that is a 15:1 ratio and 2.5 turns to lock. Some advertise it as a "quick ratio." The 4 cyl rack is 3 turns to lock, you don't want that one. I've been shopping racks lately too. There's a bunch of them out there but I don't think any of them are as good as the original. Once I ordered a 2.5 turn to lock and when I got it on there it turned out to be 3 turns..

#3 ·
Starting to stock pile parts for an engine swap in my 1989 LX HO. The car has AC and will have a T5 trans when done. When I pull the engine I want to replace the rack and pinion, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Called the auto parts store and the parts lady wanted to know;

Is it TRW design or something else?
Does it have the sport suspension package?
Does it have split or solid bushings?

They offer 12 different rebuilt or new units spanning from $58 to $617! Can someone please help me figure this out? Thanks.

Randy

Most auto parts stores can input your V.I.N. number into their computer to pull up the correct parts

#6 ·
Still working on this. Sadly the VIN number did not help. Next step is to call the dealer and see if I can get a part number. Auto parts stores want to know three things;

Is it a TRW or Ford unit?
Does it have one piece or two piece mounting bushings?
Does the car have sport suspension?

Randy

#7 ·
Ford dealer shows only one part number for racks fitting 1989 through 1993 (or maybe 1994) and that is F3ZZ3504AC. No longer available. Ford makes no distinction as does the auto parts store. My local NAPA store offers one from BBB Industries for $82 exchange, limited lifetime warranty. I will call BBB tomorrow.

Randy

#13 ·
I've been looking for one for my '95. Supposedly they have thicker torsion bars and different valvling that supposedly they gives a "better feel." However, it doesn't look like the re-man folks are re-manning them still. I've seen some listed for the 03 cobra but either the parts store can't get it anymore or the parts store will have the same part number listed for the '99 GT as they do the cobra. Rockauto has them but they also list an alternate number which is a regular GT rack. Is it worth the gamble paying more if you end up with a "new edge" GT rack? That's where I am with the whole thing.

#14 ·
94-04 racks will fit on a fox but I believe you have to change the tie rod to a different length.
I'm looking for a rack for my '95 and I noticed that they had different #'s for different sn95 years so I emailed cj pony parts asking the difference. I also asked on the 03 cobra rack. This is what they said.
" Hello,

The main difference is the ratio, The cobra rack is a high ratio. The ratio on the early rack was also different because of the weight difference of the early 5.0 v8 then in 97 ford updated the ratio along with the amount of assist as the 4.6 was a bit heavier overall compared to the 5.0.

But yes they all interchange and will bolt up the same and use the same mounts and bushings etc. The 99-04 cars had the mounts lower on the k member to better match the tie rods but no changes to rack mounting was made in that update.

Thank you,"

Autozone doesn't list a separate number the 03 cobra rack. Oriley's does but when I called to see about getting one they said they could no longer order it. I don't really want to order one through the mail either. If you do you're responsible for paying to ship the core back so that eats up a little bit of the core money. The vendors that are selling them without a core charge are selling them for around $300.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/rack-and-pinion-steering-rack-power-steering-cobra-2003-2004/p/RPK25/

#23 ·
Ha! Great minds think alike :) I emailed them too saying what I had found. That torsion bar confuses me. Where is it located and what does it do? This is the email I sent a couple of hours ago. No response yet:

"I need some advice on the 22-2000 steering rack that you offer. According to my research this rack is for use on a 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra. It should have the larger .230 torsion bar and the housing should be identified by the letters SPR ZM. It also has an overall length of 48-3/8" and 2-3/16 turns from lock to lock. Does this information sound correct?"

Randy

#28 ·
So Randy,whats wrong with your rack exactly?? Is it just leaking,are the inner tie rods and/or outer tie rods worn out or is there something mechanically wrong inside the rack?? The inner tie rods & seals are usually the only components that wear out,other than an occasional outer tie rod.Most of the racks Ive had develop a leak from bad seals that is noticeable at the bellow areas.The spool valve & T bar rarely go bad.If the rack is leaking & thats your only problem,I would just replace the seals,etc with a seal kit.RockAuto has the kit for $23.79
They've also got rack and Pinions with 2.25-2.5 turns lock to lock between the price range of $55.89 + $30 core - $87.79 + 75 core.The racks dont include outer tie rods though.Outer tie rods are available from
Economy= $4.40 to Premium= $38.89,but the best ones listed below.

Mogo=$19.42
Motorcraft=$34.79
AC Delco=$38.89

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...0,steering,rack+and+pinion+complete+unit,7388

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1991,mustang,5.0l+v8,1134010,steering,tie+rod+end,7428

#29 ·
Hi WB. Not sure that there is anything wrong with the current rack except there is 200k miles on the car. I will be pulling the engine soon and while it is out I want to go through the front suspension. New rack, tie rod ends, ball joints, poly control arm bushings etc. When it goes back together I want to drive it not work on it. Thanks for the info. I will check out the options you suggested.

Randy

#32 ·
Don't do that haha. They'll probably just clean it up, put new seals in it, and sell it as a Cobra rack. And one of us will end up with it. Y'know, maybe that's how rebuilt Cobra racks became such a crapshoot in the first place...

#33 ·
Advance is getting my leaking '95 GT rack back, $95 is a hefty core charge.
I bet it has part to do w the "crap shoot." I there really haven't been too many 03 Cobra racks turned. I think now we're hoping that they take whatever rack they have on hand and put Cobra "innards" in.
I'm not expecting miracles. I'm just hoping to not end up with worse than I have now (aside from the leak) that's why I'm gambling on an "upgrade." The "stock" reman rack I put in my dads' '97 is a flaming pile. It's like driving a dump truck. The leaking oem one was better.

#35 ·
Well I bought the Cobra rack today. It appears to be the correct one. Overall length is 48-1/4" and Cordone says it should be 48-3/8". Turns lock to lock is about 2-1/4 and Cordone says 2-3/16. No stamped numbers on it but a cast number on the main body, RF-F6SC-3550-AA. No build number which if provided would be SPR-ZM. Not sure if the build number was ever put on these racks. If someone could decipher the RF number that would be cool.

Randy

#36 ·
Here is an update on the Cardone steering rack I just bought. After some research I found that that there is a "dimpled" code on the rack but it is extremely difficult to see. On my rack it was near the passenger side rubber boot and under the tube that connects the left rubber boot to the right one. It was almost completely filled with paint so I used a lumber crayon to fill in the dimples which are more like pin picks from a sharp awl. You will need a magnifying glass to see this unless you are 18 years old. The code I found was SPR ZM which is perfect for an '03-'04 Cobra. More numbers were MO8B, I have no clue what they mean. Apparently the RF... casting number I cited earlier is common to all SN95 steering racks and does not define the build of the rack as the SPR code does. Can someone please tell me what SN95 means?

Here are some other SPR codes:
SPR GY...'94-'96 All (probably not '95 Cobra R)
SPR RT...'97-'98 All
SPR SH...'99-'01 V6
SPR SJ...'99-'01 V8
SPR VT...'00 Cobra R
SPR ZL...'02-'04 V6
SPR ZK...'02-'04 V8
SPR ZM...'03-'04 Cobra

Also, one article I read said that Taurus outer tie rod ends will be needed to be used with the Cobra rack on a Fox body. Is this true? Thanks.

Randy

#37 ·
Cool deal. I'm of no help when it comes to tauraus rod ends. I do know that when I was looking to see if I could re-use my '95 rod ends on the 03 rack the 03 and 95 ends were the same part number. Maybe the Taurus is too?? Or maybe look and see if your ends are the same part # as the cobras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.