Ford Mustang Forum banner

Front Suspension Components

659 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rehoward 
#1 ·
Car is 1989 5.0 LX HO. Want to buy new front suspension components to replace while the engine is out. Looking at outer tie rod joints, ball joints, and poly bushings for the control arms. Also poly bushings for the steering rack. So I have a couple of questions for you:

Who sells quality steering components such as tie rod ends and ball joints? 1A Auto sells a kit at $62 but I am leery of buying that. Anyone have experience with 1A? I am thinking more of brand names like Moog or TRW.

Maximum Motorsports sells poly control arm bushings for $16.95 but they are not steel cased and they do not seem to have an inner bushing as well. I think I would prefer steel cased. Are these okay to use?

Is there a better replacement for the cloth/rubber washer used as a stock item in the steering shaft? I could buy a steel unit with solid universal joints but they are pretty expensive.

Thanks for the help.

Randy

#6 ·
Called two local auto parts stores on Moog components today. They are unusually expensive compared to the house brands. Talked to a parts guy who claimed that prices were high because Moog maintained NASCAR racers and had built a huge name for themselves in the process. He said that they used to sell Spicer/Raybestos suspension components and their machining was superior to Moog which he referred to as a "B" quality component.

Anyway, I Googled the Moog parts and found them for cheap on RockAuto. They were less than 1/2 the price of the local auto parts stores so I guess that is the way I will go.

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.