Head bolts-torque to yield - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
S197 Member
Head bolts-torque to yield

Just when did Ford start using these head bolts? I see what I think all too many tending to re-use the head bolts. From what I understand, the later stock bolts are a one time use item, streched to the limit at initial installation.

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008
Im not sure when they started using them. But from what Ive read you should not re use any bolt used for the heads, rods, main caps, etc.. unless they are a aircraft quality type like arp.

Even then depending on mileage I would replace them also. But thats just me... personal prefences for me is if I change anything ill put in new bolts... and depending on what the part is ill use aircraft quality bolts... things like water pump Ill just go to home depot or lowes... Ive had better luck with there 8 grade zinc coated bolts (gold looking ones) corrosion wise then arp black coated stuff... on exterior parts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008
good read on the different types of bolts and torque methods...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008
Made Member
Good article...........

1988 GT Vert 70K
BBK Fender Cold Air, Ford E303, Cobra Intakes, Kirban Adj Fuel Reg, FRPP 65mm TB, 19# Explorer injectors, MAF Conversion, TF Valve Springs, BBK Equal Length Shorty's, KYB's all around, Magnaflow 2.5 high flow cats H pipe, American Thunder's, 3.73's, Speedo gear, AOD w/Performance Automatic street/strip valve body, Overdrive A+ Super Servo, 2-3 Accumulator upgrade, Urethane motor and tranny mounts, Smog, EGR and A/C delete
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008
PONY Member
5.0L Member
good article, I added to my favorites. Maybe it should be in the sticky section.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
I tell everyone I can to toss the torque to yield bolts in the woods. I use ARP for everything I can, odd thing is should you need bolts, the ARP's are cheaper than the stock wimpy bolts.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page